Author I hate my exhaust....and other things  (Read 1130 times)

• Offline RI1050   us

• Tiger Member  ‐    33
    • Topic Author

Offline RI1050

• Tiger Member
    • Topic Author
    • Riding well beyond my talent level
    • Bike/Model: 2010 Tiger 1050 ABS
    I hate my exhaust....and other things
    on: 11 February, 2024, 08:15:08 pm
    11 February, 2024, 08:15:08 pm
    I bought this bike with a Two Brothers exhaust on it, and after finally getting a few miles on the road, it's rubbish.
    Lots of drone, annoying tone, sounds "sporty".  Yuck.  Honestly, at this point I'd rather have stock than this.

So, being the old fart that I am, I rather have more subtle deep tones and not bring attention to myself. I will be taking long rides so I need it to be comfortable.  What do you guys recommend?

In addition, the bike came with a tinted Puig windscreen. Looks nice, but on the highway it buffers like crazy. Can't stand it. I also rather have clear screen should I get the Givi and be done with it?     

Thanks gents,
    RI
    Last Edit: 11 February, 2024, 08:17:51 pm by RI1050
    2010 Tiger 1050 ABS
    2023 Husqvarna TE250 Enduro with things
    2022 Kawasaki KLX 230 SE

• Offline Yellow Dog   gb

• Tiger Supporter
    • Supreme Tiger  ‐    10692

Offline Yellow Dog

• Tiger Supporter
    • Supreme Tiger
    • Bike/Model: 2018 Tiger 1050 Sport
    • City / Town: Quainton
    Re: I hate my exhaust....and other things
    Reply #1 on: 11 February, 2024, 09:40:22 pm
    11 February, 2024, 09:40:22 pm
    The standard exhaust is high pitched and sewing machine-esq. It is however easy on the ears for longer journeys.

I'm sure you'd easily find someone happy to swap their stock exhaust for your two brothers model  :169:

What tune number is your bike running? This can also have an effect on the sound.
    2018 TIGER 1050 SPORT

• Offline RI1050   us

• Tiger Member  ‐    33
    • Topic Author

Offline RI1050

• Tiger Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #2 on: 11 February, 2024, 11:11:53 pm
    11 February, 2024, 11:11:53 pm
    *Originally Posted by Yellow Dog [+]
    The standard exhaust is high pitched and sewing machine-esq. It is however easy on the ears for longer journeys.

I'm sure you'd easily find someone happy to swap their stock exhaust for your two brothers model  :169:

What tune number is your bike running? This can also have an effect on the sound.

Yeah, I rather find a nice compromise.

I do not yet know what tune I have. I downloaded TuneECU, but my OBD2 dongle won't link up with it. I'll have to get another one.  It will however link up the Car Scanner app on my phone and shows me all the real time data. Pretty cool.

The bike has K&N filter, snorkel delete (both holes open), and full exhaust. All from previous owner.  It runs very well through the RPM range. Oh, it also has 16/46 gearing  :087: :125:.    I'm going back to stock.

I REALLY hate posting up yet another exhaust thread. Trust me, I search and read a lot on this forum. It's been covered.

On the other hand, there's not exactly a lot of traffic here, so I figured what the heck  :031:

Thanks

Last Edit: 11 February, 2024, 11:13:24 pm by RI1050
    2010 Tiger 1050 ABS
    2022 Kawasaki KLX 230 SE

• Offline Sidewinder   gb

• Tiger Master  ‐    989

Offline Sidewinder

• Tiger Master
    • Bike/Model: 2007 Tiger 1050 Yellow
    • City / Town: Sheffield
    Reply #3 on: 11 February, 2024, 11:32:19 pm
    11 February, 2024, 11:32:19 pm
    Does the TB have removable baffles?  If they are out, putting some back in might be worth trying.

• Offline RI1050   us

• Tiger Member  ‐    33
    • Topic Author

Offline RI1050

• Tiger Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #4 on: 11 February, 2024, 11:43:10 pm
    11 February, 2024, 11:43:10 pm
    *Originally Posted by Sidewinder [+]
    Does the TB have removable baffles?  If they are out, putting some back in might be worth trying.

The individual TB baffles/cylinders are still there, but I'm telling ya, this pipe is loud. It screams "look at me!!". I don't want that.  :151:
    It's actually surprising considering how long the pipe is. I should probably pull it apart and see if it needs to be repacked. hmmm

What is your pipe if choice ?
    2010 Tiger 1050 ABS
    2022 Kawasaki KLX 230 SE

• Offline gosling 1   us

• Tiger God  ‐    2924

Offline gosling 1

• Tiger God
    • Bike/Model: '08 Orange Tiger
    • City / Town: Connecticut
    Reply #5 on: 12 February, 2024, 12:09:17 am
    12 February, 2024, 12:09:17 am
    Not a lot of choices anymore for the 07-12 Tiger 1050's being out of production for 12 years. I have a Leo Vince SBK slip-on that has a nice growl but not too loud at all. Checked their website but they no longer make it.  Remus was another popular choice for the first gen Tiger 1050's. Delkevic list several options for your bike, I have no experience with them, maybe someone here has one.
    Larger than life and twice as ugly!

• Offline RI1050   us

• Tiger Member  ‐    33
    • Topic Author

Offline RI1050

• Tiger Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #6 on: 12 February, 2024, 01:33:14 am
    12 February, 2024, 01:33:14 am
    *Originally Posted by gosling 1 [+]
    Not a lot of choices anymore for the 07-12 Tiger 1050's being out of production for 12 years. I have a Leo Vince SBK slip-on that has a nice growl but not too loud at all. Checked their website but they no longer make it.  Remus was another popular choice for the first gen Tiger 1050's. Delkevic list several options for your bike, I have no experience with them, maybe someone here has one.

Thanks
    I'm quickly learning that this is the reality with most all T1050's parts. The parts that do exist are expensive. I bought this bike thinking it was a way to check most of the boxes without shelling out big money for a new(er) bike. In reality, it won't save much money in the long run.

I did make the mistake of sitting on a new 2023 900 GT pro about a week ago.  :192:
    2010 Tiger 1050 ABS
    2022 Kawasaki KLX 230 SE

• Offline dave_a   us

• Tiger Pro  ‐    135

Offline dave_a

• Tiger Pro
    • Bike/Model: 2007 Tiger 1050
    • City / Town: Fernandina Beach
    Reply #7 on: 14 February, 2024, 01:33:22 pm
    14 February, 2024, 01:33:22 pm
    I had a 2 Bro's exhaust on my BMW. Loud and obnoxious. Don't waste your $ on the silent tip or re-packing. It doesn't. The POS actually melted a hole in my official BMW luggage after sustained 80mph/highway. Boy, was I pissed off.

OK Tiger: I have a Delkovic long slip on. Highly recommended for welding, quality, price, and quiet.
    I ride with Givi tall and have one of those bolt on/adjustable angle Laminar lips on top. It's a great combination. Looks a little lame, but if you're doing highway miles you can adjust the buffeting off your helmet. I can ride with my shield flipped up. In the rain the combo is awesome. My Road King riding buddies were blind. The "Lip" is key, hot or twisties its down.
    The only Givi negatives are it reflects engine noise. I actually put my airbox snorkel back in after the usual mods(intake drone). I doubled the size of the center hole. My [censored]-dyno says no change. Lastly, don't over tighten the screen screws. The Givi will crack.
    Great bike, enjoy!

• Offline RI1050   us

• Tiger Member  ‐    33
    • Topic Author

Offline RI1050

• Tiger Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #8 on: 14 February, 2024, 10:03:16 pm
    14 February, 2024, 10:03:16 pm
    *Originally Posted by dave_a [+]
    I had a 2 Bro's exhaust on my BMW. Loud and obnoxious. Don't waste your $ on the silent tip or re-packing. It doesn't. The POS actually melted a hole in my official BMW luggage after sustained 80mph/highway. Boy, was I pissed off.

OK Tiger: I have a Delkovic long slip on. Highly recommended for welding, quality, price, and quiet.
    I ride with Givi tall and have one of those bolt on/adjustable angle Laminar lips on top. It's a great combination. Looks a little lame, but if you're doing highway miles you can adjust the buffeting off your helmet. I can ride with my shield flipped up. In the rain the combo is awesome. My Road King riding buddies were blind. The "Lip" is key, hot or twisties its down.
    The only Givi negatives are it reflects engine noise. I actually put my airbox snorkel back in after the usual mods(intake drone). I doubled the size of the center hole. My [censored]-dyno says no change. Lastly, don't over tighten the screen screws. The Givi will crack.
    Great bike, enjoy!

Excellent info. I appreciate you taking the time to share. I was looking at the 18"Delkevic. The pricing is reasonable on the main site.  The 2brother pipe has to go.

I have a few experiments I want to try on the Puig screen I have, but when it doesn't work (likely), I will certainly give your recommendation some a thought.  I've been reading and reading about years of people trying all different screens and setups. Seems to be hit or miss.
    I have a large laser here so I'm going to cut some holes in places and see what happens. Of course, it just snowed here again, so it will be a bit till I get on the road again. Don't want all the salt on the bike.

Thanks again,
    2010 Tiger 1050 ABS
    2022 Kawasaki KLX 230 SE

• Offline dave_a   us

• Tiger Pro  ‐    135

Offline dave_a

• Tiger Pro
    • Bike/Model: 2007 Tiger 1050
    • City / Town: Fernandina Beach
    Reply #9 on: 15 February, 2024, 02:05:56 pm
    15 February, 2024, 02:05:56 pm
    Having the Laminar lip adjustable on 2 axis seems (to me) to be key to my comfort. Maybe try it on your existing shield?

telegraph-coming