Author Front forks have been lowered  (Read 2234 times)

• Offline Mrzippy   us

• Tiger Member  ‐    25
    • Topic Author

Offline Mrzippy

• Tiger Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050, 1200XTR
    • City / Town: Huntington
    Front forks have been lowered
    on: 18 January, 2024, 03:50:08 pm
    18 January, 2024, 03:50:08 pm
    So I have been in process of working on my 2007 tiger 1050 I bought used last fall.  Found a lot things had been monkied with.  The former owner had lowered the rear suspension with some link, not the plate system and it was binding, so I removed it.  Now after looking at other bikes online photos, it suddenly dawned on me that the he must have also lowered the front end.  The top of the forks are protruding thru the top aluminum casting brace ( upper yoke) maybe 3 inches or so.  Which is quite a bit from what I can gather.  Is there an issue with the front end being lowered like this?  Bike seems to ride fine, for me.
    Last Edit: 18 January, 2024, 03:53:56 pm by Mrzippy

• Offline RI1050   us

• Tiger Member  ‐    33

Offline RI1050

• Tiger Member
    • Riding well beyond my talent level
    • Bike/Model: 2010 Tiger 1050 ABS
    Re: Front forks have been lowered
    Reply #1 on: 18 January, 2024, 05:18:37 pm
    18 January, 2024, 05:18:37 pm
    Your bike might have had the same owner as mine lol

The PO put on this POS adjustable link that had the bike so low it was scary. I'm waiting on a used stock link to show up to replace it. 

3" out on the fork tubes is more than I've ever seen. What the heck were they thinking  :125:
    2010 Tiger 1050 ABS
    2023 Husqvarna TE250 Enduro with things
    2022 Kawasaki KLX 230 SE

• Offline tiggersteve   gb

• Tiger God  ‐    9085

Offline tiggersteve

• Tiger God
    • City / Town: doddington cambs
    Reply #2 on: 18 January, 2024, 05:41:35 pm
    18 January, 2024, 05:41:35 pm
    Err sorry but that ain't 3 inches and still way too much  :138:
    '08 1050 gone, 2017 KTM 1290S gone, now '94 ZZR1100D back to old times (temporarily)

• Offline Mrzippy   us

• Tiger Member  ‐    25
    • Topic Author

Offline Mrzippy

• Tiger Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #3 on: 18 January, 2024, 05:44:44 pm
    18 January, 2024, 05:44:44 pm
    So is the leaning forward a bad thing?  Obviously if I raise the front forks, the seat height is going to be higher accordingly. Wasnt thrilled about that aspect of a change.   Should I loosen the forks bolts and drop it some?  How much should be protruding above?

• Offline tiggersteve   gb

• Tiger God  ‐    9085

Offline tiggersteve

• Tiger God
    • City / Town: doddington cambs
    Reply #4 on: 18 January, 2024, 08:12:29 pm
    18 January, 2024, 08:12:29 pm
    lowering the front is normal with lowering links to keep the bike reasonably level,
    25mm plates the front would normally between 18 and 25mm but everyone has they're preferences personally I can't imagine the bike rides or handles too well like yours
    '08 1050 gone, 2017 KTM 1290S gone, now '94 ZZR1100D back to old times (temporarily)

• Offline gvy   be

• Tiger Pro  ‐    172

Offline gvy

• Tiger Pro
    • Bike/Model: tiger sport 2016
    • City / Town: Scheldewindeke
    Reply #5 on: 18 January, 2024, 09:59:24 pm
    18 January, 2024, 09:59:24 pm
    If the bike has been lowered in the rear, it should have been lowered in the front to keep the geometry of the bike the same, infact to keep the rake angle as original.
    So I guess to accomplish this the PO, after dropping the rear, will have dropped the forks through the triple clamps. This is one way to get there.

If you reverted the rear suspension back to original. The back of the bike comes up, so you should revert the front to come up and have the forks back in the original position in the triple clamps.

What happens if the geometry is changed :
    If the back is raised OR the front is lowered , the rake angle of the bike becomes smaller ( forks are steeper or more vertical) . By doing that the trail also becomes smaller.
    This makes the bike less stable. It will turn in quicker and because of less trail, the self centering effect will become less.
    Doing the opposite, the bike will be more stable and self center, but it will feel less agile.
    A to small rake angle can make a bike fall into corners . ( that can now be the case with the setup of your bike)
    So it is a matter of finding the perfect feel for yourself. You want it stable at high speed and in a quick corner, but still agile enough , wanting a quick steer in and be fun in the twisties.

A lot of other factors come into play of course : fe a bike with a longer wheelbase has the same effect as more trail, making a bike more stable
    The tyre profile will make a bike fall quicker or less into a corner.
    ETc etc. But that would lead us to far.

One last thing : If your bike has to soft front springs ( Tigers OEM often are) it will dive while braking before a corner. This will change the trail very quick ( it lessens) and again will feel as if the bike falls into the corner.
    Stiffer springs will have less effect on load changes from rear to front and back and will also keep the geometry of the bike more even , in return giving you a much better and stable riding experience. It will let you set up the suspension much easier

Last Edit: 18 January, 2024, 10:07:08 pm by gvy

• Offline Mrzippy   us

• Tiger Member  ‐    25
    • Topic Author

Offline Mrzippy

• Tiger Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #6 on: 18 January, 2024, 11:01:51 pm
    18 January, 2024, 11:01:51 pm
    GVY  I am a new to much of this , so I very appreciate your insight on the geometry of the suspension changes.  On this specific bike, I did find a Utube video, where the op says the front tubes are to be 30mm above the upper yoke assembly.  obviously this is a utube measurement.   Mine is at about 36mm currently, so not a lot of difference.

• Offline Paul2bikes   gb

• Tiger God  ‐    9792

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
    • DILLIGAF
    • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
    • City / Town: High Peak
    Reply #7 on: 19 January, 2024, 09:32:02 am
    19 January, 2024, 09:32:02 am
    There is a whole load of baloney posted on fb about this. The manufacturers of the lowering plates recommend 12mm or 15mm drop at front, dependent on maker. I tried mine at many different settings from 15mm to 25mm, then settled at 18mm which I found right for feel & max for cables. I did this shortly after buying the bike 10 years & 31k miles ago, had no reason to alter from those settings since.

To set the front, refer to the manual for oem settings, then it's up to you, here are my measurements purely as an example. Read it until you fully understand how to measure it.

Stock fork height is 35.5mm measured from BOTTOM of the top fork yoke to TOP of fork leg UNDER the ALLOY TOP NUT washer section. Mine are 53.5mm = 18mm lowered.

If you prefer the 15mm lowered front, obviously the 53.5mm would be 50.5mm. Each to their own on how you prefer the setting.                                 
    Also: '16 Tiger 800, '95 Yamaha Serow, '58 Ariel FH.

• Offline dave_a   us

• Tiger Pro  ‐    135

Offline dave_a

• Tiger Pro
    • Bike/Model: 2007 Tiger 1050
    • City / Town: Fernandina Beach
    Reply #8 on: 21 January, 2024, 03:36:58 pm
    21 January, 2024, 03:36:58 pm
    My 2007 has a 35mm lowering plate on the rear suspension. I have my forks raised to 47mm as per Paul's measuring technique.
    No bad habits like head shaking or front wheel tucking in corners etc.
    FYI - I have stiffer front springs in the forks, so it doesn't sag as much as a stock bike.
    dave_a

telegraph-coming