Author How far can you go on a fully charged battery  (Read 2201 times)

• Offline Mike_B   gb

• Tiger God  ‐    1271

Offline Mike_B

• Tiger God
    • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport
    • City / Town: Tonbridge
    Re: How far can you go on a fully charged battery
    Reply #10 on: 04 September, 2022, 08:04:52 pm
    04 September, 2022, 08:04:52 pm
    LOL, good news and bad I guess.  A lot of wasted time, but at least the fix was cheap.

I broke down on the way to work a few years ago with essentially the same issue, though thankfully when the RAC guy was pushing his battery tester onto the terminals we both noticed the cables on the negative side wiggle under the pressure - and sure enough, one good twist of the spanner later, the bike fired right back up as if nothing had happened.  I was very lucky, only waited about 20 minutes for him to arrive, too - wasn't even overly late for work.

To answer your original question, I only found out my stator had died after the bike wouldn't start after calling in at a couriers office on the way home from work - a journey of about 35 miles, of which I'd done about 32.  Obviously I don't really know when it actually failed, but I suspect you would get further than you think especially if only one coil has burned out on the stator.  I didn't realise what was wrong - the recovery guy jump started the bike and I foolishly said 'thanks mate, I'll just ride it from here!'  Even with the battery almost completely dead and the headlights in use, I made it 2 of the remaining miles under it's own power.  That last mile was a bloody long push home though, didn't need the gym that week!

• Offline seangee   gb

• Tiger Supporter
    • Tiger God  ‐    3205
    • Topic Author

Offline seangee

• Tiger Supporter
    • Tiger God
    • Topic Author
    • Bike/Model: 16 Sport, '21 1290SAS
    • City / Town: Bracknell
    Reply #11 on: 05 September, 2022, 04:27:23 pm
    05 September, 2022, 04:27:23 pm
    Happy bunny. 14.2V across the terminals at tickover and goes up to 14.6 when I blip the throttle.
    Didn't bother to use the battery load test funtion on the new multimeter since the initial voltage was 12.7V. This is 0.1V below what the manual suggests as a minimum for a good battery - but since tightening up the terminal I have probably started it 10 times and turned off almost immediately.

Case closed and will use it for the (local) commute tomorrow :031:
    Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

• Offline seangee   gb

• Tiger Supporter
    • Tiger God  ‐    3205
    • Topic Author

Offline seangee

• Tiger Supporter
    • Tiger God
    • Topic Author
    Reply #12 on: 29 September, 2022, 09:06:47 pm
    29 September, 2022, 09:06:47 pm
    All's well that ends well. Immediately after the EML warning cleared I parked up and went off on 2 weeks jollies. Came back and it started at the first time of asking. Took it back into the big smoke yesterday and it behaved flawlessly.

• Offline Paul2bikes   gb

• Tiger God  ‐    9784

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
    • DILLIGAF
    • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
    • City / Town: High Peak
    Reply #13 on: 30 September, 2022, 10:10:37 am
    30 September, 2022, 10:10:37 am
    Good news m8, nowt to worry ya.

I been on a 3 week tour in car, bikes haven't been run or charged for nearly 4 weeks, MM says all 3 at 12.75v, gave them all a few hours boost on the accumate to top up. TS is oem at 8.5 yrs, T8 is oem at 6 yrs & the wee Serow has one I fitted almost 6 years ago. All Yuasa. I've been lucky with these, fickle things are batteries, some die very early, I've not had one last less than 5 years on my modern bikes. We were lucky to get 12 months out of them on our old brit iron. Battery technology has come a long way since, those old Brit's would shake the paste out of the plates.

I never leave mine on trickle, just give them a wee boost every couple of weeks.
    Also: '16 Tiger 800, '95 Yamaha Serow, '58 Ariel FH.

• Offline Mike_B   gb

• Tiger God  ‐    1271

Offline Mike_B

• Tiger God
    • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport
    • City / Town: Tonbridge
    Reply #14 on: 30 September, 2022, 10:23:04 am
    30 September, 2022, 10:23:04 am
    Agreed, some bikes seem to chew through the batteries, but I've not found that, at least not with my TS.  I've left it for much longer than 4 weeks before, more like 3-4 months.  Then just wheel it out and thumb the button, and it fires right up.  It is on it's second battery but then it's 9 years old so fair enough really.

Probably helps that the garage is integral to the house and has the boiler, hot water cylinder, a beer fridge and two freezers in it.  It's not heated deliberately, but it never gets anywhere near freezing point even when it's thickly frosted or snowy outside.  Battery probably gets colder on the motorway than when it's parked up at home!

• Offline seangee   gb

• Tiger Supporter
    • Tiger God  ‐    3205
    • Topic Author

Offline seangee

• Tiger Supporter
    • Tiger God
    • Topic Author
    Reply #15 on: 30 September, 2022, 12:08:48 pm
    30 September, 2022, 12:08:48 pm
    *Originally Posted by Mike_B [+]
    Agreed, some bikes seem to chew through the batteries, but I've not found that, at least not with my TS.  I've left it for much longer than 4 weeks before, more like 3-4 months.  Then just wheel it out and thumb the button, and it fires right up.  It is on it's second battery but then it's 9 years old so fair enough really.

Probably helps that the garage is integral to the house and has the boiler, hot water cylinder, a beer fridge and two freezers in it.  It's not heated deliberately, but it never gets anywhere near freezing point even when it's thickly frosted or snowy outside.  Battery probably gets colder on the motorway than when it's parked up at home!
    My garage is the typical hot in summer :190: in winter type. Since its at the top of a steep drive I always fire it up before wheeling it out :164:
    Never used the optimate yet unless there is a reason to do so. Always worked on the basis that if it doesn't fire straight up I need to investigate.

I have not been so lucky with the TS. OE battery died after 2 years. Replacement (only time I tried a non-YUASA) died within its warranty period. I killed the next one by leaving the optimate attached but not plugged in (long story) for about 6 months during lockdown. So I am on #4 but fingers crossed for this one - its coming up for 2 years.

telegraph-coming