Author Return of the aggressive tire discussion  (Read 566 times)

• Offline Crowmanvt

• Tiger Newbie  ‐    3
    • Topic Author

Offline Crowmanvt

• Tiger Newbie
    • Topic Author
    • Bike/Model: 2010 Tiger 1050 ABS
    • City / Town: Warner
    Return of the aggressive tire discussion
    on: 03 August, 2022, 05:55:38 pm
    03 August, 2022, 05:55:38 pm
    I commute with my 2010 Tiger 1050 SE almost daily on the highway (15 miles) and also for fun I'll run around on back roads, dirt roads, anywhere I think I can go without getting in too deep or far... After a couple of sets of Michelin PRs, I switched two years ago to the Pirelli MTS 60. This significantly improved the handling of the bike on the dirt roads and soft tracks while still providing decent on road performance, but they wear incredibly fast, especially the rear.  Now the Michelin Anakee is available in the right sizes so I bought a pair of those to try out since my rear is basically shot. Wondering what y'all think about running the new Michelin in the rear while I continue to use the Pirelli on the front since it's in decent shape. I'm not opposed to switching out both if there's a safety/performance issue, but I'm not keen on throwing away good rubber (i.e. money) either. Thoughts?

• Offline tiggersteve   gb

• Tiger God  ‐    8810

Offline tiggersteve

• Tiger God
    • Bike/Model: 1050,1290,now bikeless
    • City / Town: doddington cambs
    Re: Return of the aggressive tire discussion
    Reply #1 on: 03 August, 2022, 07:11:25 pm
    03 August, 2022, 07:11:25 pm
    Heard varied opinions on the Anakees most not that complimentary (on different bikes) not keen on mixed Tyree's but you've nothing to loose swop the rear and see, being semi off road tyres don't see the change being as dramatic as road tyres, if you no liky ditch the front, just as a by the way my mate is an iron butt rider and he adds 2-3 psi over standard and it increases tyre life

• Offline indytiger1050   us

• Tiger Supporter
    • Supreme Tiger  ‐    22308

Offline indytiger1050

• Tiger Supporter
    • Supreme Tiger
    • Bike/Model: 79 Honda 750L
    • City / Town: Indianapolis
    Reply #2 on: 03 August, 2022, 08:35:11 pm
    03 August, 2022, 08:35:11 pm
     :405:

Hello Crowmanvt.

Please think about doing New to the forum, with a picture of course.   :152:

Your first post is what we need more of.  Discussion, interesting about the handling. First for me.
    Support the forum.   :031:

• Offline sax_000   au

• Tiger Pro  ‐    246

Offline sax_000

• Tiger Pro
    • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050 SE '12
    • City / Town: Sydney
    Reply #3 on: 04 August, 2022, 12:11:41 am
    04 August, 2022, 12:11:41 am
    Mixing tyre brands/models is no problem at all.

It's all about the "feel" (or, if you know the movie "The Castle", it's all about the vibe, man)

• Offline Paul2bikes   gb

• Tiger God  ‐    9459

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
    • DILLIGAF
    • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
    • City / Town: High Peak
    Reply #4 on: 04 August, 2022, 07:11:45 am
    04 August, 2022, 07:11:45 am
    *Originally Posted by Crowmanvt [+]
    I commute with my 2010 Tiger 1050 SE almost daily on the highway (15 miles) and also for fun I'll run around on back roads, dirt roads, anywhere I think I can go without getting in too deep or far... After a couple of sets of Michelin PRs, I switched two years ago to the Pirelli MTS 60. This significantly improved the handling of the bike on the dirt roads and soft tracks while still providing decent on road performance, but they wear incredibly fast, especially the rear.  Now the Michelin Anakee is available in the right sizes so I bought a pair of those to try out since my rear is basically shot. Wondering what y'all think about running the new Michelin in the rear while I continue to use the Pirelli on the front since it's in decent shape. I'm not opposed to switching out both if there's a safety/performance issue, but I'm not keen on throwing away good rubber (i.e. money) either. Thoughts?

Many dual purpose bikes come new with MT60's fitted, 'cos they give decent mileage on low power bikes. soon swapped out for something a bit more capable eg Dunlop D606 rear & Pirelli MT21 front, doubt they'd last long on a Tiger, maybe 1,500 miles at most. Nobody seems to bother about a matched pair for the trails. I'd just run them out then fit whatever you fancy, maybe Anakee wild's both ends, a 50/50 tyre, all depends how much rough stuff you're going to be riding. I had a Mich tracker rear with a MT21 front, on my small DP bike, now Mich Trackers both ends, 'cos they're cheap. A tiger would rip them to bits.

DP tyres have shot up in price, even more than road tyres, a few years back I'd get a pair of MT21's for under 100, now they're over 200 and hard to get. Lot of money for tyres that'll only do 2k miles.

Also: '16 Tiger 800, '95 Yamaha Serow, '58 Ariel FH.

• Offline seangee   gb

• Tiger Supporter
    • Tiger God  ‐    3066

Offline seangee

• Tiger Supporter
    • Tiger God
    • Bike/Model: 16 Sport, '21 1290SAS
    • City / Town: Bracknell
    Reply #5 on: 04 August, 2022, 09:59:12 am
    04 August, 2022, 09:59:12 am
    My own experience of the Anakee on the road is poor, not very confidence inspiring on wet slippy road surfaces and noisy. Not actually owned these - that was on somebody else's GS.
    Have heard good things about Dunlop Mutants.
    If riding in the cold / wet on tarmac is important to you I would stick with road or 90/10 tyres which are fine on occasional gravel / dirt roads (or even light offroad) as long as you keep it sensible. If you regularly ride in heavy mud or deep sand its a different story but dual sport tyres will always be a compromise both ways. For me, as I do commute in winter, I need to know that I have full grip when I hit the first roundabout on a wet cold winters day, about 400 metres from my driveway.
    Agree with what the others say about mixing brands, no problem but if you don't like it change them. Some combinations work better than others.
    Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

• Offline Crowmanvt

• Tiger Newbie  ‐    3
    • Topic Author

Offline Crowmanvt

• Tiger Newbie
    • Topic Author
    Reply #6 on: 04 August, 2022, 05:14:26 pm
    04 August, 2022, 05:14:26 pm
    *Originally Posted by seangee [+]
    My own experience of the Anakee on the road is poor, not very confidence inspiring on wet slippy road surfaces and noisy. Not actually owned these - that was on somebody else's GS.
    Have heard good things about Dunlop Mutants.
    If riding in the cold / wet on tarmac is important to you I would stick with road or 90/10 tyres which are fine on occasional gravel / dirt roads (or even light offroad) as long as you keep it sensible. If you regularly ride in heavy mud or deep sand its a different story but dual sport tyres will always be a compromise both ways. For me, as I do commute in winter, I need to know that I have full grip when I hit the first roundabout on a wet cold winters day, about 400 metres from my driveway.
    Agree with what the others say about mixing brands, no problem but if you don't like it change them. Some combinations work better than others.

Thanks for the feedback I understand the compromise aspect of dual purpose tires, which is one of the things that led me to try the MTS 60's. I had a Triumph Sprint previously with the Michelin PRs and loved the way they handled, wet or dry, and got reasonable longevity out of them, so that's what I put on the Tiger when I first got it. It wasn't until I started venturing into the wild that I realized:

A - The 2010 model Tiger is a backroad bike, not a backwoods bike. I'm okay with that and will get a dirt bike if I want to do more.
    ...and...
    B - PRs are not really suitable for the kind of backroads I ride on.

So I grabbed a set of the Pirelli's and have been satisfied with everything except the short life. I've heard the Anakees are noisy on the highway so that's of concern, but swapping rubber twice a year is also a problem. With all things including some sort of compromise, I'm giving the Anakee's a shot. If I'm not happy, then I'll probably go back to the PRs and get the dirt bike I mentioned previously. I'm definitely NOT going to try to make this particular Tiger something it's not.

• Offline Hamilton   gb

• Tiger Master  ‐    313

Offline Hamilton

• Tiger Master
    • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050 se
    • City / Town: BRISTOL
    Reply #7 on: 04 August, 2022, 08:42:37 pm
    04 August, 2022, 08:42:37 pm
    I have done 500 miles so far on Dunlop mutants on my Z and can confirm they are great in the dry and wet and crappy country roads , they cost 385 fitted and the fitter came to me , no ideal on their longevity but the reviews say they last well , I had mt60 on the Ducati scrambler , they were very sticky but the rear was shot by 4000 miles .

• Offline Crowmanvt

• Tiger Newbie  ‐    3
    • Topic Author

Offline Crowmanvt

• Tiger Newbie
    • Topic Author
    Reply #8 on: 05 August, 2022, 02:44:56 pm
    05 August, 2022, 02:44:56 pm
    *Originally Posted by Hamilton [+]
    I have done 500 miles so far on Dunlop mutants on my Z and can confirm they are great in the dry and wet and crappy country roads , they cost 385 fitted and the fitter came to me , no ideal on their longevity but the reviews say they last well , I had mt60 on the Ducati scrambler , they were very sticky but the rear was shot by 4000 miles .

Hadn't looked at the Dunlops. Seems like they might be the next ones I try!

reconstruction