Author Topic: Unrealistic small print on bike insurance policy  (Read 820 times)

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Topic Author
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
  • City / Town: Back in Blighty
Unrealistic small print on bike insurance policy
on: 24 May, 2022, 09:37:20 AM
This about UK bike insurance - hope the right place.

I've been with BeMoto (insurance brokers) for a couple of years, on their Titanium policy, which is pretty good. But this year with a move to a northern city centre location they wanted to charge me an extra 1K insurance premium. I know the bikes are not in a garage, but they are behind a steel shutter in a private back yard, off a brightly lit back street, so it must just be the big city centre additional premium. In the end I got it down, but only by borrowing a builder's massive drill, drilling into 2.5 inches of concrete and fitting a huge commercial ground anchor.

What gets me now is that if I have go out on the bike and want to pop back to the house because I've forgotten something, the theft insurance isn't valid within 1/2 mile of home unless the bike is chained to the ground anchor! So if I leave it out the front for 5 minutes and it gets stolen in that time, it's uninsured. This is AGEAS - what a load of crap. Next year I'll be shopping around for a more realistic policy.

Offline T800XC

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 800XC & Explorer
  • City / Town: English Riviera
Re: Unrealistic small print on bike insurance policy
Reply #1 on: 24 May, 2022, 10:13:21 AM
My insurance has a similar thing, but it's based on my bike being garaged. The slight difference is that I'm not covered if the bike is stolen from outside my house after a certain time at night. They do allow (supposedly) a common sense approach to cover me getting home and giving some undefined amount of time to get the bike put away in the garage.
...If things don't alter, they'll stay as they are...

Offline seangee

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 16 Sport, '21 1290SAS
  • City / Town: Bracknell
Re: Unrealistic small print on bike insurance policy
Reply #2 on: 24 May, 2022, 11:10:44 AM
Mine has a similar clause about being inside the garage, with the door locked. And not covered unless I use the steering lock or if I leave the keys in the garage.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.