Author Throttle Position Sensor...glitching output  (Read 429 times)

• Offline TangoTiger

• Tiger Member  ‐    44
    • Topic Author

Offline TangoTiger

• Tiger Member
    • Topic Author
    Throttle Position Sensor...glitching output
    on: 23 May, 2022, 01:48:27 pm
    23 May, 2022, 01:48:27 pm
    Hi, as above. I've suffered with the dreaded throttle snatch on my bike for quite some time. We had an obd reader plugged into it recently and noticed the TPS output was not as predictable as it should be. Specifically...at closed throttle it was intermittently glitching to 0.8% , and from small throttle openings it would instantaneously glitch by about 1% periodically without moving the throttle. I've never been able to plot the TPS output against time before, so never noticed a transient change in output.
    Do we think this would account for my issue, its very hard to get on the throttle smoothly in low speed situations, its like an on/off switch....
    Are the sensors generally reliable...or is it common for them to fail?
    This is on a 2012 1050.
    Last Edit: 23 May, 2022, 01:49:59 pm by TangoTiger

• Offline DanielB   gb

• Tiger Newbie  ‐    5

Offline DanielB

• Tiger Newbie
    • Possible 1050 owner?
    • City / Town: Oxfordshire
    Re: Throttle Position Sensor...glitching output
    Reply #1 on: 06 July, 2022, 09:32:43 pm
    06 July, 2022, 09:32:43 pm
    Hiya, apologies, but I can't help...but I think I have a "snatchy throttle", but no technology to read it electronically....what are the symptoms you have/feel while riding?

I have about 2mm movement at the very start where the throttle seems to go for 0 to 'a lot'.

Perhaps I just need to get used to the bike (new to me) but if there is any "gently easing on the gas" it's the tiniest movement!

Freeplay is about 2-3mm.  Cable seems ok.  2010 Tiger 1050 abs

• Offline indytiger1050   us

• Tiger Supporter
    • Supreme Tiger  ‐    22297

Offline indytiger1050

• Tiger Supporter
    • Supreme Tiger
    • Bike/Model: 79 Honda 750L
    • City / Town: Indianapolis
    Re: Throttle Position Sensor...glitching output
    Reply #2 on: 08 July, 2022, 10:29:26 pm
    08 July, 2022, 10:29:26 pm
    I'm not a free play person, IMO get rid of it.

Make sure your front sprocket is tight, make sure you have about 3/4 to Inch of chain slack.
    The chain pushed on the bottom side, middle between sprockets should have 10-15 mm of space before it touch's the swing arm.

You can put a throttle tube on, reduces amount of cable movement first 1/3 of travel.

Never looked at the TPS before, don't very few issues. But how about the bodies being balanced.  Your only 10 out from each other.  10 is very normal getting it perfect is next to impossible. Once done, don't expect it to save.
    I think  real issue is in the balance we need say 41.2  41.9  52.1   No decimal points to see how close to next whole number so they bounce.

IMO. Pull the tank, check your plugs. How do they look. Pictures please.
    Check all the hoses.
    If you find a OH BOY then fix and test. Nothing pull bodies, start over.
    Tank loose, I used a hard foam block to hold tank up off bike for room to adjust and spray around for leaks.   

FYI.. DANGER  Carb cleaner if flammable, reason things smooth out it blocks leak and it burns.  Having pools or any visible amount laying on a hot running motorcycle flashing it off into a gas will easily ignite.
    Have a fire extinguisher around, never ever a bad idea dealing with a gas tank.  Have had a connect pop off and leaked a bit before sealing, and do it out doors. Bike goes up garage, house doesn't.

Support the forum.   :031: