Author Topic: Clutch cable length issue  (Read 1008 times)

Offline Flak

• Tiger Newbie
  • Topic Author
  • Bike/Model: 2007 Tiger 1050 ABS
Clutch cable length issue
on: 23 May, 2022, 05:09:17 AM
I am buying a 2007 1050 ABS model soon and while looking it over I noticed the clutch cable adjustments, both on the engine bracket and the turn barrel on the lever, are maxed out. Current owner said he had the cable replaced when it had rubbed through his old radiator, another common issue these things have from what I'm reading.

I was doing a bit of sleuthing on here and saw a few threads about new cables being manufactured too long and people facing the same issue after replacing them. Does anyone know if this is still an issue before I drop $40 on a new OEM cable?

Offline Mike_B

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Tonbridge
Re: Clutch cable length issue
Reply #1 on: 24 May, 2022, 09:32:08 AM
The 2007 model may be different, but I changed mine on my 2013 Tiger Sport and it dropped right into place, no issues.  I think adjustment is about half-way at both ends.  I only changed mine as a precaution as it had about 50k on it with a lot of town miles, and if it were to break I'd obviously be stranded.

I do remember seeing something about clutch cables being re-routed on some bikes, so maybe pull the right-hand fairing panel off so you can see more easily and check it's not still doing it.  As long as it's not obviously rubbing, and the clutch is working fine, I wouldn't worry too much about it - adjusters are there to be used, after all.

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
Reply #2 on: 24 May, 2022, 10:05:37 AM
Is it an aftermarket cable the PO fitted? Or oem cable on its way out?

My clutch cable snapped on Sunday 90 miles from home. I had one of those wee tins of cable inners & nipples, so got it sorted in an hour. Beats waiting several hours for recovery. That's the first time that wee tin has helped me, but twice before for chums, one at south end of Timmelsjoch pass got him home to Huddersfield, and the other at Ullapool, got that boy home also.

The oem cable looked fine at both ends but had rotted through at the section hidden from view inside the adjuster at the engine end. See pics.

Fowlers have no stock, could be a week. I looked at SqDeals & Wemoto aftermarket at 15 & 10, against 40 delivered from Fowlers, never had much luck with a/m cables fitting & after this one snapping, bike stalled & near went over, a painful save, thought an oem would be a safer bet. A friend then said he'd fitted a Slinky Glide cable from Wemoto & it's a good fit, 12 delivered. Ah well, too late. The plan now is to release each end & grease that hidden section inside the engine end adjuster, at regular intervals. I had forgotten my ST955 doing similar, but it was near 20 years ago. Bit of water ingress likely cause.

Also: '16 Tiger 800, '95 Yamaha Serow, '58 Ariel FH.

Offline gosling 1

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: '08 Orange Tiger
  • City / Town: Connecticut
Reply #3 on: 24 May, 2022, 11:55:55 AM
*Originally Posted by Flak [+]
I am buying a 2007 1050 ABS model soon and while looking it over I noticed the clutch cable adjustments, both on the engine bracket and the turn barrel on the lever, are maxed out. Current owner said he had the cable replaced when it had rubbed through his old radiator, another common issue these things have from what I'm reading.

I was doing a bit of sleuthing on here and saw a few threads about new cables being manufactured too long and people facing the same issue after replacing them. Does anyone know if this is still an issue before I drop $40 on a new OEM cable?

Some early 2007 Tigers had clutch cable outer jackets that were too short. This caused the issue with rubbing against the radiator and damaging it. A few years later, Triumph had a batch of genuine OEM replacement parts that had inner cables that were too long causing the adjusters to be maxed out. The cables on the production bikes were OK so maybe the replacement parts were from a different supplier.. Don't know if Triumph corrected the issue on later parts, there is no way to know until you try it. I found a good used one on ebay a few years ago from a 2008 Tiger being parted out and it was the correct length.
Last Edit: 24 May, 2022, 11:59:33 AM by gosling 1
Larger than life and twice as ugly!

Online Tigermike

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2019 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Banbury
Reply #4 on: 24 May, 2022, 01:13:08 PM
*Originally Posted by Paul2bikes [+]
Is it an aftermarket cable the PO fitted? Or oem cable on its way out?

My clutch cable snapped on Sunday 90 miles from home. I had one of those wee tins of cable inners & nipples, so got it sorted in an hour. Beats waiting several hours for recovery. That's the first time that wee tin has helped me, but twice before for chums, one at south end of Timmelsjoch pass got him home to Huddersfield, and the other at Ullapool, got that boy home also.

The oem cable looked fine at both ends but had rotted through at the section hidden from view inside the adjuster at the engine end. See pics.

Fowlers have no stock, could be a week. I looked at SqDeals & Wemoto aftermarket at 15 & 10, against 40 delivered from Fowlers, never had much luck with a/m cables fitting & after this one snapping, bike stalled & near went over, a painful save, thought an oem would be a safer bet. A friend then said he'd fitted a Slinky Glide cable from Wemoto & it's a good fit, 12 delivered. Ah well, too late. The plan now is to release each end & grease that hidden section inside the engine end adjuster, at regular intervals. I had forgotten my ST955 doing similar, but it was near 20 years ago. Bit of water ingress likely cause.
Paul, i have an unused OEM clutch cable for a 2007 to 2012 Tiger 1050, if it will fit your Sport you can have it. (i dont think there is any difference) just let me know & i will post it to you.  :001:
Yam RD125 DX, Kwak GPZ305, Honda CB400T, 1983 Kwak GT550, Suzuki GSF650 Bandit, Tiger 1050SE, 2019 Tiger Sport .... got there in the end.

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
Reply #5 on: 24 May, 2022, 01:41:56 PM
Many thanks Mike, PM sent.
Also: '16 Tiger 800, '95 Yamaha Serow, '58 Ariel FH.

Offline Flak

• Tiger Newbie
  • Topic Author
Reply #6 on: 24 May, 2022, 04:20:59 PM
Ahhh well it doesn't matter now. While looking over the bike found some other issues. Crappy RTV jobs on engine case cover and the nail in the coffin: low compression (~175psi), nasty brown oil in the airbox, and high oil consumption. Ended up passing up on it. Keeping my eyes out for another.

Offline Mike_B

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Tonbridge
Reply #7 on: 24 May, 2022, 04:49:53 PM
Is 175psi really that low?   A quick google suggests it's about right.  A little oil in the airbox is normal too - not buckets of it, but to have some visible is common, think it comes up the breather and collects over time.  There's a drain for it.   What sort of oil consumption was it doing?   Some of us here claim to use none, personally I have to stick in about 500ml between changes (at 6k intervals) to keep it topped up but I don't regard that as 'high'.

Ah well, there's a few out there, so you'll find another.  Gotta bear in mind it's a 15yo bike, and it's the sort of bike that many owners put decent mileages on.  Mine's at 64k, and there's some on here with 3-4 times that.

Offline Flak

• Tiger Newbie
  • Topic Author
Reply #8 on: 24 May, 2022, 06:38:43 PM
It was about 1.5 qts low when I checked it and the owner said he added some not long ago, didnt know exact mileage. I was reading 220psi is a healthy engine on a couple of these cracked piston threads.  :027:

Offline sax_000

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050 SE '12
  • City / Town: Sydney
Reply #9 on: 25 May, 2022, 12:24:29 AM
I've been using a Wemoto Slinky Glide clutch cable for a couple of years now, no problems.
Although, I've fitted an S3 cable as my bars are much narrower (65cm grip outer to grip outer) and lower than what was stock on the '07, but probably about the same height as the '12 originals.