Author Topic: OEM Exhaust wont fit 2014 Tiger Sport 1050  (Read 464 times)

Offline sinkers

• Tiger Master
  • Topic Author
  • Bike/Model: Red Tiger 1050 Sport
  • City / Town: Westmeath
OEM Exhaust wont fit 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
on: 09 May, 2022, 11:14:15 PM
I recently purchased a 2014 Tiger Sport 1050. It came with a SC Project carbon end can.

I'm not into noisy exhausts so I decided to revert back to the stock exhaust. I bought a genuine Triumph exhaust from ebay that came off a 2013 model. When I tried to fit it I noticed the pipe slipped onto the cat way too easy. I measured the inside diameter of the pipe attached to the new muffler and it was 50mm. I then measured the outside diameter of the fitting on the cat and it was 45mm. No amount of exhaust sealer or tightening of the clamp was going to stop a leak at that point not to mention vibration. I now have to return the muffler and refit the SC Project can, much to the annoyance of the neighbours as there was no DB killer fitted.

Has anybody else come across this issue or was there a change in the size of the pipe at some stage?

Give blood, you never know when you might need it back!!!

Offline tiggersteve

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 1050,1290,now bikeless
  • City / Town: doddington cambs
Re: OEM Exhaust wont fit 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
Reply #1 on: 10 May, 2022, 06:51:52 AM
There is a composite fibre ring gasket about 30mm long which takes up the gap and seals

Offline sinkers

• Tiger Master
  • Topic Author
Reply #2 on: 10 May, 2022, 08:49:53 AM
*Originally Posted by tiggersteve [+]
There is a composite fibre ring gasket about 30mm long which takes up the gap and seals

Thanks Tiggersteve. I'm waiting for the ebay seller in Germany to come back to me. They appear to be a large reputable company selling through ebay so i'm optimistic that they simply forgot to put the gasket in the kit.

Thanks for putting my mind at ease. Thought I was going mad there for a while.

Is the fibre ring gasket readily available do you know?

Offline tiggersteve

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 1050,1290,now bikeless
  • City / Town: doddington cambs
Reply #3 on: 10 May, 2022, 10:56:43 AM
Check out World of Triumph parts microfish, part number is T2202115  :002:

Offline sinkers

• Tiger Master
  • Topic Author
Reply #4 on: 10 May, 2022, 11:14:38 AM
Thanks Tiggersteve.

I ordered that on Triumphworld.de based in Germany.

Offline Mike_B

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Tonbridge
Reply #5 on: 11 May, 2022, 08:27:11 PM
I have an SC Project can on my 2013 Sport.  With the baffle in, itís louder than stock for sure but itís not offensively loud.  Mine has passed the MOT test six years running with it on, and no comments from the tester.  If I remove the baffle though, it becomes much, much louder and like you I donít really like annoying the neighbours, especially if Iím off to work early.

Check if the baffle is in - just look at the end of the exhaust.   If you are able to see right down through the can, and the opening is about 2.5Ē or 50mm wide, it may not be in there.  If the baffle is there then youíll only be able to see about 3-4Ē or 100mm down into the can, as thereís a metal insert held in place by a screw at the side.

Worth a check, anyway.

Offline sinkers

• Tiger Master
  • Topic Author
Reply #6 on: 11 May, 2022, 09:24:04 PM
*Originally Posted by Mike_B [+]
I have an SC Project can on my 2013 Sport.  With the baffle in, itís louder than stock for sure but itís not offensively loud.  Mine has passed the MOT test six years running with it on, and no comments from the tester.  If I remove the baffle though, it becomes much, much louder and like you I donít really like annoying the neighbours, especially if Iím off to work early.

Check if the baffle is in - just look at the end of the exhaust.   If you are able to see right down through the can, and the opening is about 2.5Ē or 50mm wide, it may not be in there.  If the baffle is there then youíll only be able to see about 3-4Ē or 100mm down into the can, as thereís a metal insert held in place by a screw at the side.

Worth a check, anyway.

Thanks Mike.

The seller took the baffle out and left it in a friend's garage who's away. He said he'd send it on but I prefer stock anyway. There is no MOT equivalent for motorcycles in the Republic of Ireland so no problem there. I'll be selling on the SC Project muffler if anybody is interested.

Offline Mike_B

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Tonbridge
Reply #7 on: 13 May, 2022, 09:03:56 AM
*Originally Posted by sinkers [+]
Thanks Mike.

The seller took the baffle out and left it in a friend's garage who's away. He said he'd send it on but I prefer stock anyway. There is no MOT equivalent for motorcycles in the Republic of Ireland so no problem there. I'll be selling on the SC Project muffler if anybody is interested.

That's fair enough - I only mentioned the MOT passes as an indicator that with the baffle in, the noise isn't anywhere near as excessive as when it's out.

I must admit I've toyed with the idea of returning mine to standard actually.  Only thing is, I have the Triumph 'Arrow' map loaded and I should probably change that back to the standard one at the same time, and making ECU changes makes me more nervous than it should.