Author Topic: MIL light on and indicators not working  (Read 590 times)

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Topic Author
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
  • City / Town: Back in Blighty
MIL light on and indicators not working
on: 30 April, 2022, 09:27:12 PM
Hi guys, long time no visible. Afraid I've been out of action with the dreaded C, and that combined with moving and assorted life issues (you know, just the complications of living), I've not used the bike for over a year.

So first jaunt a month ago, and I'd bought and fitted a new battery beforehand because I knew the alarm had completely zonked the battery while I've been away the last year. Set out to meet a mate in London, got as far as the local Shell station in Oxford (about a mile), then she refused to start. RAC couldn't make it work, and 6 hours later (!) eventually got it recovered to the garage

Here we are a month later. The alarm was junked and has now been ripped out. Bike has been fully serviced and now has a Nitron shock (fantastic). So today was collect from garage and first ride out. But I was warned the engine management light wouldn't go out (I know about this, and hoping that after a couple of rides it will reset).

More worrying is that when I got home I discovered the indicators aren't working. The lights flash fast on the dash, but nothing from the indicators themselves. Same both sides, and on this model there's no indicator relay to check, it's all in the ECU. Also noticed that that clock resets to 01.00 every time I switch off! Very weird!

Bike is running really well, and a pleasure to ride with the new shock. But I'm a bit stuck on the indicators. I'm hoping it might be one of those strange low voltage issues, and that after a good charge up and a ride tomorrow all will be well.

But not sure, so any ideas on likely cause most welcome. One clue is that garagist says his machine is unable to communicate with the ECU. Never had this problem before because I always did my own servicing. If I can at least get the blinkers back then I'll be making progress.

Offline ZuluTiger

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050 ABS
  • City / Town: Suwanee, GA
Re: MIL light on and indicators not working
Reply #1 on: 30 April, 2022, 09:33:47 PM
Unhappy times, sorry to hear this. I hope good voltage cures it.   

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
Reply #2 on: 01 May, 2022, 10:11:33 AM
Electrickery! 'Tis the work of the devil himself.

Good luck with it Paullie.

If the indicators worked on your way to the shell station, backtrack what's been done since, could it be to do with the alarm being removed? Just thinking, if indicators flash when alarm goes off, connected somehow.
Also: '16 Tiger 800, '95 Yamaha Serow, '58 Ariel FH.

Offline ZuluTiger

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050 ABS
  • City / Town: Suwanee, GA
Reply #3 on: 01 May, 2022, 12:51:35 PM
 :0461:

Offline Hamilton

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050 se
  • City / Town: BRISTOL
Reply #4 on: 01 May, 2022, 01:03:11 PM
*Originally Posted by Paullie [+]
Hi guys, long time no visible. Afraid I've been out of action with the dreaded C, and that combined with moving and assorted life issues (you know, just the complications of living), I've not used the bike for over a year.

So first jaunt a month ago, and I'd bought and fitted a new battery beforehand because I knew the alarm had completely zonked the battery while I've been away the last year. Set out to meet a mate in London, got as far as the local Shell station in Oxford (about a mile), then she refused to start. RAC couldn't make it work, and 6 hours later (!) eventually got it recovered to the garage

Here we are a month later. The alarm was junked and has now been ripped out. Bike has been fully serviced and now has a Nitron shock (fantastic). So today was collect from garage and first ride out. But I was warned the engine management light wouldn't go out (I know about this, and hoping that after a couple of rides it will reset).

More worrying is that when I got home I discovered the indicators aren't working. The lights flash fast on the dash, but nothing from the indicators themselves. Same both sides, and on this model there's no indicator relay to check, it's all in the ECU. Also noticed that that clock resets to 01.00 every time I switch off! Very weird!

Bike is running really well, and a pleasure to ride with the new shock. But I'm a bit stuck on the indicators. I'm hoping it might be one of those strange low voltage issues, and that after a good charge up and a ride tomorrow all will be well.

But not sure, so any ideas on likely cause most welcome. One clue is that garagist says his machine is unable to communicate with the ECU. Never had this problem before because I always did my own servicing. If I can at least get the blinkers back then I'll be making progress.
Mine resets to 0100 when I refit the battery after taking it off to charge , I had to charge yesterday , it struggled to start yesterday morning , these unseasonably cold nights seem to be draining the battery .

Offline tiggersteve

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 1050,1290,now bikeless
  • City / Town: doddington cambs
Reply #5 on: 01 May, 2022, 10:13:57 PM
I agree with Paul, linked to alarm removal

Offline Mike_B

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Tonbridge
Reply #6 on: 02 May, 2022, 12:38:42 PM
Have you checked all the fuses?  Seems odd that the clock resets every time you turn off, that suggests that the circuitry that keeps things ticking over when the ignition is off and the key is removed isn't working.   Could be alarm removal, but could also just be a blown fuse.

Offline T800XC

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 800XC & Explorer
  • City / Town: English Riviera
Reply #7 on: 02 May, 2022, 03:33:31 PM
*Originally Posted by Paullie [+]
...More worrying is that when I got home I discovered the indicators aren't working. The lights flash fast on the dash, but nothing from the indicators themselves. Same both sides, and on this model there's no indicator relay to check, it's all in the ECU. Also noticed that that clock resets to 01.00 every time I switch off! Very weird!...

The indicators are controlled and driven from the instruments. Assuming that the control circuit is similar to some other Tiger models, if the indicator mimic on the dash is flashing fast that's usually an indication that one or more lamps has blown open circuit, or is disconnected. The instruments will know this because the processor onboard measures the indicator current draw.

The instruments also have two 12V supplies. One permanent supply from fuse #5 (10A), and a main 12V supply from fuse #3 (10A) via the igintion switch. Both of these are in the left hand fuse box.

According to the manual, fuse #5 powers the alarm and instrument lights but it will also keep the clock and trip settings alive. If the clock is resetting each time the ignition is turned off, either the fuse has blown (as others have mentioned) or there's an internal fault with the instruments. I've repaired the PCBs inside a few of these instruments that have been blowing the bike's main fuse or that have indicators not working correctly, but I've not seen your particular fault.

I can't see anything in the wiring diagram that would point to this being related to you having removed the alarm. Since you're able to run the bike it would suggest that the bypass plug has been refitted with the correct couple of links in place.

Given that fuse #5 is rated at 10A it's possible that it also powers the indicators. If this fuse is blown it would answer why you're seeing both clock and indicator faults.
...If things don't alter, they'll stay as they are...