Author Headlight high beam broken  (Read 3002 times)

• Offline ZuluTiger   us

• Tiger Supporter
    • Tiger God  ‐    3147

Offline ZuluTiger

• Tiger Supporter
    • Tiger God
    • KTM 1190 Adv back in the fold...
    • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050 ABS
    • City / Town: Suwanee, GA
    Re: Headlight high beam broken
    Reply #10 on: 15 April, 2022, 10:51:07 pm
    15 April, 2022, 10:51:07 pm
    As a guy who spent a lot of time on the lighting issue, here is my ten cents: The original headlight, in every way, is junk. Keeping it and adding extra lights is just a Band-Aid. One of my issues was the lop-sided headlight as much as actual intensity. One side for low beam, the other for high, unbalanced, dumb looking. My first pass was installing H4 dual filament bulbs to get the balance but the reflectors and lens did not cope well. I've never seen an add-on set of lights I've liked and yet there is an elegant and complete solution - the Sport option. Twin lows, twin highs, and with a bit of thought, you can even have all FOUR working together. And it'll look good. I have no agenda pushing this but I think many members have spent lots of cash trying to make the OEM headlight work and tacking on aux lights. Nobody who has added a Sport cluster has ever complained, simply because it offers an elegant and custom outcome. I don't think the cost is high when you consider what you get in the pack. Mine came with a small loom and all the bulbs, which I've never had to replace. Just saying.

Oh, another plus: You gain a chunk of space behind the headlight because it's much more slim. Easy bulb changes. Neater. And, it's actually two units. So maybe better in future if things break? 

Good luck with whatever you do!   
    Last Edit: 15 April, 2022, 10:58:56 pm by ZuluTiger

• Offline Ronnie   nl

• Tiger Member  ‐    15
    • Topic Author

Offline Ronnie

• Tiger Member
    • Topic Author
    • Living the good life
    • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050 (2009)
    • City / Town: Weert
    Reply #11 on: 18 April, 2022, 07:26:09 pm
    18 April, 2022, 07:26:09 pm
    Small update; two days ago I bought a Philips H4 and connected it to the 2 high-beam wires with claw cable lugs. When turning the key, booth bulbs (H7 left, H4 right) were on. When i wanted to give it a go in the evening, both lights didnt work anymore. The morning after, I disconnected the high beam wires and now also the low beam did not turn on (sidelights worked, so there was power).
    Today the low beam worked again, so I guess something is loose. i'm not sure anymore.

I scheduled a minor service at a local motor garage so i'll let them have a look as well.

• Offline ZuluTiger   us

• Tiger Supporter
    • Tiger God  ‐    3147

Offline ZuluTiger

• Tiger Supporter
    • Tiger God
    • KTM 1190 Adv back in the fold...
    • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050 ABS
    • City / Town: Suwanee, GA
    Reply #12 on: 18 April, 2022, 09:07:57 pm
    18 April, 2022, 09:07:57 pm
    Okay, this is why I don't comment on How To! An H4 is a 3-wire device needing a ground and either a low or high, not both. When I installed mine I used 2 x H4's. Each of them only had one filament on at a time. A 'low' in each, and a 'high' in each. So, it balanced the lighting and gave good illumination. BUT, there are heat and focus problems so I'd never do that again. It's best to know what you are doing when rewiring lighting and I mean no disrespect when I say this.

• Offline Ronnie   nl

• Tiger Member  ‐    15
    • Topic Author

Offline Ronnie

• Tiger Member
    • Topic Author
    • Living the good life
    • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050 (2009)
    • City / Town: Weert
    Reply #13 on: 25 April, 2022, 09:31:31 pm
    25 April, 2022, 09:31:31 pm
    Small update.
    I read the instruction manuals for both the TS install and Retrofitlabs options, both way out of my league. So i decided to work with what I have, and when it works, I can check for alternatives and upgrades later. First I need to solve the high beam issue.

- Fixed the H4 in the modded high beam projector, properly connected this time and it works so far. My aim is to use the high beam as less possible. (It seems they only glued a H4 mount on top, although it could be they hollowed out the inside, but I dont have any original photo's without H9 in it as reference.

- Ordered AUX lights and bar, it's on its way here.
    Lights as suggested by Seangee (https://www.amazon.nl/gp/product/B093L9P9B9/ ) Unfortunately only after ordering i found out they were sent from CN, so i'm now doubting to buy another set locally, like the PUIG AUX light set (https://www.louis.nl/artikel/puig-aanvullende-led-schijnwerpers/10016297).

Bar from Denali, hopefully it works with non-denali lights. (https://www.verstralershop.nl/nl/per-merk/denali/denali-light-mount-triumph-tiger-1050-07-12.html)

to be continued..

• Offline Grouchybastard   us

• Tiger Supporter
    • Tiger Master  ‐    454

Offline Grouchybastard

• Tiger Supporter
    • Tiger Master
    • Bike/Model: 2010 Tiger 1050
    • City / Town: Buckheaven Orygun
    Reply #14 on: 26 April, 2022, 01:01:42 am
    26 April, 2022, 01:01:42 am