Author Topic: 12000 MIle Service  (Read 2460 times)

Offline Nunky

• Tiger Newbie
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: Kidlington
Re: 12000 MIle Service
Reply #10 on: 11 May, 2022, 11:39:36 PM
Thanks TigerMike. I'll give him a call tomorrow 👍. Much appreciated.

Offline nehpetsthegrey

• Tiger Master
Reply #11 on: 14 June, 2022, 10:20:26 AM
*Originally Posted by Nunky [+]
Same problem here in UK. Just been quoted 1,000 for a 12k service by main dealer.  :005:
Just got stung for 1600 for the 12k (including a pair of tyres. Triumph replaced the front discs and pads under warranty.) Warranty runs out soon so I am urgently looking for a proper workshop manual as I will be hitting 24K early next year even at current fuel prices.
Or the bike goes. 2000 per year servicing at a main stealer is robbery. 6k was 500.
Any leads ideas gratefully accepted.
 :005:

Offline Dusty ST

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2017 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: Brighton, Sussex
Reply #12 on: 14 June, 2022, 10:46:15 AM
*Originally Posted by nehpetsthegrey [+]

I'd be getting a tool kit and having a go yourself. Also means you can spread the cost, and buy parts that don't come in an expensive Triumph branded bag  :028:
17 Tiger Sport 1050
08 Sprint 1050ST
01 GSX1400 K2

Online Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
Reply #13 on: 14 June, 2022, 12:26:18 PM
Just got stung for 1600 for the 12k (including a pair of tyres. Triumph replaced the front discs and pads under warranty.) Warranty runs out soon so I am urgently looking for a proper workshop manual as I will be hitting 24K early next year even at current fuel prices.
Or the bike goes. 2000 per year servicing at a main stealer is robbery. 6k was 500.

I'd have got the tyres done at a local tyre place, likely saved 100 there. And that warranty work separate job also or they'd lump the labour onto your service bill.

Think about what you are confident doing yourself, most of it is fairly simple. Then maybe just pay dealer to do engine service, all under tank stuff while they got it off to check valve clearances.

What did they do for 500 at 6k service?

Break the invoice down to labour & replaced parts, just what are you paying for? Are you getting your hat nailed on, or is it all the work you are asking them to do.

My TS had dealer 500 mile service free. Then I had an independent do the 12k at 14k, I service the easy stuff every 3k miles eg brakes, oil & filter, suspension greasing, etc. I used to do it all but can't be arsed with the big one any more. I doubt I've spent 2k on servicing over the past 20 years.
Also: '16 Tiger 800, '95 Yamaha Serow, '58 Ariel FH.

Offline Hamilton

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050 se
  • City / Town: BRISTOL
Reply #14 on: 14 June, 2022, 01:32:09 PM
I would find a good independent mechanic for servicing . I paid 130 parts and labour for an interim service in march , oil and filter , brake fluid ,brakes checked , bearings , chain adjusted and lubed . I was quoted 190 for the fork seals and fork oil to be replaced which I had done at the same time . Because he finished the work quicker he would only take 300 .

Offline indytiger1050

• Tiger Supporter
  • Supreme Tiger
  • Bike/Model: 79 Honda 750L
  • City / Town: Indianapolis
Reply #15 on: 18 June, 2022, 04:49:17 AM
*Originally Posted by Dusty ST [+]
I'd be getting a tool kit and having a go yourself. Also means you can spread the cost, and buy parts that don't come in an expensive Triumph branded bag  :028:

Manuals in a sticky or 3, and a service sheet to along with what is checked at normal intervals.   Most you can easily do, would add check every nut and bolt. I use (witness marks) to see if they move. Dab of paint, marker on the fitting and other surface. A nut, bolt backing out won't have the marks aligned.  Perfect example would be the oil pan, side covers and the notorious front sprocket nut which only loosens once.
The fluid change can be a little harder but easily done. The hardest bit would be the valve gap check. It's not that big a pain but when I checked the speed triple at 56k miles 3 would have to be done to keep gap and a couple others might be worth doing.

The one thing I will warn against is letting the brake masters run dry, especially the front one. It won't pump air and getting it going can be a PITA.  Several methods of changing brake fluid check the youtube.
Note the color of the coolant, anything other than a nice red, green etc has a brown tint flush with distilled water. Buy it at the big chain store costs a buck a gallon, flush until clear. Then run your choice of antifreeze.
Support the forum.   :031:

Offline jkd102

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2017 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: Rolleston
Reply #16 on: 18 June, 2022, 02:30:13 PM

I would swap those new OEM pads for EBC HH before they stuff up your disks again.
Matt Black 17 Tiger Sport - SC Project carbon can, Nitron R2 Shock, Revalved forks with Ohlins spings/Oil,  MWR-HE Airfilter, NGK Iridium Plugs, Radguard, Re-Trimmed seat, Fenda Extenda, 30mm Risers, Puig screen deflector & spacers, Heavy bar ends, JBQ Shifter, MFW Vario Pegs, SW Motech City Evo Tank Bag, Triumph Tankpad & Centerstand, TomTom Rider 450, Valentine V1 radar.

Offline Mike_B

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Tonbridge
Reply #17 on: 24 June, 2022, 11:08:50 AM
Bloody hell, there's some crazy service prices being shown here.   I'm not an amazing mechanic by any means, but it's well worth buying a Haynes manual and some tools.  I do all routine stuff myself except valve checks - none of the basics are difficult, and once you've done it once you'll wonder why you ever paid someone so much to do it for you.  Half-decent tools last a lifetime so they'll pay for themselves many times over.

Every 3-4 years, depending on miles ridden, I get the local workshop I use to do a valve check when they have it in for MOT.