Author Denali DX Wiring Workaround  (Read 2795 times)

• Offline TheGasGranny   gb

• Tiger Member  ‐    41
    • Topic Author

Offline TheGasGranny

• Tiger Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike/Model: LEICESTERSHIRE
    • City / Town: Leicester
    Denali DX Wiring Workaround
    on: 22 February, 2022, 06:06:42 pm
    22 February, 2022, 06:06:42 pm
    Hi All,

I've spent ages trying to work out the best option of whether to hack my Denali DX's wiring harness or buy complete new cheaper chinese replacements.

Basically the DX's controller blew when the previous owner wired it the wrong way round, directly to the battery.  :033: Anyway, I opened up the sealed controller unit which looked like it had a relay and what looks like couple of capacitors in it, I presume to control the brightness - 40% or 100%.

So, I'm thinking can I bypass the controller and just have it 100% brightness, wired to a switch and fused at the battery? All of which I still have. I'm not a sparky, but I'm prepared to have a go if someone can advise.

Has anyone got any similar experience? There's loads of examples of LED aux lights that wire directly to the battery, but they all have two wires, however the Denali's have three, I presume for the switched 40%-100% (??)

Any help would be appreciated because I'd rather not throw them away.

Cheers.

TGG.

• Offline turtle   us

• Tiger Supporter
    • Tiger Master  ‐    737

Offline turtle

• Tiger Supporter
    • Tiger Master
    • Bike/Model: 2011 Tiger 1050 SE
    • City / Town: Central IL
    Re: Denali DX Wiring Workaround
    Reply #1 on: 23 February, 2022, 05:52:33 pm
    23 February, 2022, 05:52:33 pm
    I can't comment on the controller, what it does, or risk of using the lights without, but I'd probably consider a relay regardless.  Your call on all that, but what I can say is the 'intensity' wire to 12V makes brightness 100%.  Leave it unpowered and you get the lower brightness.  It could be the other way round but I am 99% sure this is correct. 
    Bill
    2011 Tiger 1050 SE (gone but still loved)
    2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660

• Tiger Member  ‐    41
    • Topic Author

Offline TheGasGranny

• Tiger Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #2 on: 23 February, 2022, 06:40:06 pm
    23 February, 2022, 06:40:06 pm
    Cheers Bill. I've decided to buy a new set and I'll sell the Denali's lamps on here / eBay because I don't want to hack the good loom. Someone who knows what they are doing will get some decent lamps, cheap.

TGG.

• Offline alexmac

• Tiger Member  ‐    20

Offline alexmac

• Tiger Member
    • Bike/Model: 2009 Tiger 1050
    • City / Town: Falkirk
    Reply #3 on: 24 February, 2022, 10:21:31 pm
    24 February, 2022, 10:21:31 pm
    Hi TGG do you have a picture of the opened control box ?

• Tiger Member  ‐    41
    • Topic Author

Offline TheGasGranny

• Tiger Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #4 on: 25 February, 2022, 07:27:39 am
    25 February, 2022, 07:27:39 am
    Yep. I showed it to an auto sparky who said it's nothing special and he could make a replacement with standard relays. It's apparently just to control the high and low intensity.

Cheers.

TGG.

• Offline alexmac

• Tiger Member  ‐    20

Offline alexmac

• Tiger Member
    • Bike/Model: 2009 Tiger 1050
    • City / Town: Falkirk
    Reply #5 on: 25 February, 2022, 01:42:47 pm
    25 February, 2022, 01:42:47 pm
    It looks fairly simply 1 relay and 2 caps put you just don't know what lies beneath that potting compound  :034: can you see what's in the wiring on the spots?

• Offline ZuluTiger   us

• Tiger Supporter
    • Tiger God  ‐    3147

Offline ZuluTiger

• Tiger Supporter
    • Tiger God
    • KTM 1190 Adv back in the fold...
    • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050 ABS
    • City / Town: Suwanee, GA
    Reply #6 on: 25 February, 2022, 03:10:21 pm
    25 February, 2022, 03:10:21 pm
    LED control needs PWM, which means at least an SCR or some sort of DC to AC circuitry, AFAIK. The relay would be the on/off part but there should be some more electrickery to modulate the DC pulses. The caps would smooth the waveform to avoid hard switching, methinks.

• Tiger Member  ‐    41
    • Topic Author

Offline TheGasGranny

• Tiger Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #7 on: 25 February, 2022, 05:37:46 pm
    25 February, 2022, 05:37:46 pm
    Lol! Reading your replay just makes my head hurt. That's why I'm giving up on them.

They were supposed to be excellent but I don't have the know how to get them working. Denali want 100 for the entire loom which I can't afford at the moment 😕

The annoying thing is, they were working when I went to buy the bike 2 months ago. However the bloke I bought it off wanted to remove his optimate battery lead before I took it away. I said yeah fine and so he disconnected the battery removed the optimate and the Denali power and negatives then put everything back together but got the positive and negative the wrong way round on the Denali's. The seat was on when I went to collect it so I didn't notice until about a week later. ☹️

I was tempted to buy a universal loom with a relay etc but they all seem to have only two wires to connect to the lamps, but the Denali's have three. 🤔

Cheers.

TGG.

• Offline ZuluTiger   us

• Tiger Supporter
    • Tiger God  ‐    3147

Offline ZuluTiger

• Tiger Supporter
    • Tiger God
    • KTM 1190 Adv back in the fold...
    • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050 ABS
    • City / Town: Suwanee, GA
    Reply #8 on: 25 February, 2022, 06:56:24 pm
    25 February, 2022, 06:56:24 pm
    If you have just a little background, it's not too hard! Going off the diagram you posted, it has to work as follows:

That third wire is the kicker. I'm guessing it's the command that talks to the controller to say (1): "Feed the lights (via the relay) with a pulse modulated output to give 40%, then (2) "Feed the lights / relay with 100%, unchopped voltage" and (3) "Switch off the voltage". So, inside that thing is a latching circuit.

It needs the low beam wire to tell the controller to be on or off to follow your lighting, so there is a logic gate too. The power comes from the battery connection via the relay which just switches according to the setting from the logic. All power for the controller comes from the battery via a fuse and I'm not surprised it blew up when incorrectly polarized with swapped (+) and (-) as there is clearly stuff in there that is polarity conscious. The fuse is probably designed to protect against shorted wiring at the lights. I'm surprised that expensive stuff from Denali does not have reverse-polarity protection but then again the guts of the box looks pretty shabby.

You could have easily run these via a relay at full chat, with a control circuit handling the relay. The guy who told you it was a simple box is extremely optimistic and did not consider the circuit you included above. I say all of this without ever having seen or tested one, just going off the circuit and theorizing...

telegraph-coming