Author Topic: My Tiger refresh  (Read 711 times)

Foxes and 10 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Nate_Espy

• Tiger Newbie
  • Topic Author
  • Bike/Model: 07 Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: Oakland
My Tiger refresh
on: 12 January, 2022, 01:26:26 AM
Hey guys, Iíve been lurking here for too long and figured Iíd at least take the opportunity to share my bike, I was considering trading my Tiger in this fall but after taking it on another big trip around the northwest- Nevada, Utah, Montana, Idaho, Washington, Oregon, California I decided to give it a refresh instead.

It got a valve adjust and a fresh gasket, a BoosterPlug, new drivetrain (I know that Renthal aluminum sprocket wonít last but it was free and looks cool), and new Galfer rotors and pads.

The tired old hand guards, heated grips, brake reservoirs, mirrors and handlebars got replaced and I topped it off with some Michelin Anakee Adventures.

Canít wait to take it on the next big trip, this summer the plan is Nevada and Idaho but trying to keep it mostly on dirt roads and trails.

Thanks for letting me show it off, any tips or ideas are welcomed!

Offline ZuluTiger

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050 ABS
  • City / Town: Suwanee, GA
Re: My Tiger refresh
Reply #1 on: 12 January, 2022, 11:31:09 AM
Very nice! That great big muffler needs attention and replacement but the only one I like is the old Remus Powercone which is hard to find. A rear shock makes a huge difference, if not already done. You might want to change out those indicators for some smaller LED versions before going too far off-road. I have a How-To about making your own as you seem a handy sort. I have the OEM's in a box (as well as a slew of other OEM parts) for no good reason as I never expect to sell mine, but who knows?

https://www.tiger1050.com/index.php/topic,38446.0.html

What handguards did you fit? They look sweet!
Last Edit: 12 January, 2022, 11:37:58 AM by ZuluTiger

Offline turtle

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2011 Tiger 1050 SE
  • City / Town: Central IL
Reply #2 on: 12 January, 2022, 03:37:04 PM
Nice work!  That handlebar and grip setup looks great.  I don't love my chrome bars and wouldn't mind replacing them, but the big thing is that my grips are really getting cruddy.  Is the bar bend the exact same as the stock bars?  Any links or tips for install would be really appreciated. 
Bill
2011 Tiger 1050 SE

Offline Nate_Espy

• Tiger Newbie
  • Topic Author
Reply #3 on: 12 January, 2022, 04:34:13 PM
Great info ZuluTiger, thanks! Any experience with panniers and that Powercone exhaust? Iíve been looking around, and some point soon Iíd like to replace the whole system as the headers are getting pretty corroded my other concern is spending all that money on something that doesnít fit with all my stuff or is too loud. That Triumph ďoff roadĒ silencer really is in the sweet spot for sound for me. Maybe Iím looking in the wrong places but it doesnít seem like thereís a lot available for this bike.

What shock do you like? So far Iíve just serviced the fork but have been looking at replacement shocks and fork cartridges recently.

Those turn signals you made look great! Iím surprised I havenít broken the stock ones yet, at this point theyíve survived this long so Iíve just been letting them be haha!

The hand guards are from Enduro Engineering, I like the way they look a lot and the wind protection is still more than adequate on chilly days.

Offline ZuluTiger

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
Reply #4 on: 12 January, 2022, 08:04:25 PM
My Powercone is the low version and I fitted a full size pannier like the LHS using a LHS bracket tweaked to fit. No problems at all.

I run a custom Ohlins with a 150N/mm spring and a remote preload adjuster. It's valved and damped exactly the same as the TR704 but has an integral oil reservoir which I prefer. I modded a BMW unit and sold my TR704 after some cretin on the forum intimated I was being dodgy. I kept the 'dodgy' unit that Ohlin's modded for me and sold on the TR704 to avoid any c**p from the likes of the berk. I have minimal sag at no preload for perfect one-up riding. It's firm and allows plenty of added preload for a passenger or if loaded up. I fitted mine when they were still a reasonable price but they are pretty dear now.

I'd really like to fit the guards you have on yours as the OEM Triumph units are Teutonic at best. In other words, ugly.

I've attached a pic. I replaced rear pads since this was taken so don't shoot me for low fluid in the reservoir!

Offline Nate_Espy

• Tiger Newbie
  • Topic Author
Reply #5 on: 12 January, 2022, 11:17:05 PM
Hey turtle, thanks! Those are ProTaper EVO ADV high bend, the dimensions are pretty close to stock but a little wider and taller. The oversized clamps sat a little lower that the stock ones so it all kinda evened out. I actually have an extra set of you want them. Itís kind of a bummer to lose the internal wiring for the stock heated grips but those Oxford heated grips do work a lot better than the stock ones that were in very sad shape.
Last Edit: 12 January, 2022, 11:32:12 PM by Nate_Espy

Offline turtle

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2011 Tiger 1050 SE
  • City / Town: Central IL
Reply #6 on: 13 January, 2022, 07:12:01 PM
*Originally Posted by Nate_Espy [+]
Hey turtle, thanks! Those are ProTaper EVO ADV high bend, the dimensions are pretty close to stock but a little wider and taller. The oversized clamps sat a little lower that the stock ones so it all kinda evened out. I actually have an extra set of you want them. Itís kind of a bummer to lose the internal wiring for the stock heated grips but those Oxford heated grips do work a lot better than the stock ones that were in very sad shape.
Sorry, Nate, do you mean you have an extra set of bars, or the clamps (or both maybe)?  Thanks.
Bill
2011 Tiger 1050 SE

Offline Nate_Espy

• Tiger Newbie
  • Topic Author
Reply #7 on: 16 January, 2022, 02:58:10 AM
I just have the handlebar

Offline JohnnyWheels

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2012 Tiger SE (red)
  • City / Town: Jackson, Mississippi
Reply #8 on: 17 January, 2022, 10:51:08 PM
*Originally Posted by Nate_Espy [+]

Thanks for letting me show it off, any tips or ideas are welcomed!

Very nicely done! Those mirrors are unique - what are they?
-----------------------------------------------------
2012 Tiger 1050 SE

Offline ZuluTiger

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
Reply #9 on: 18 January, 2022, 11:42:49 PM
I got a set of $22 handguards today off Amazon. One order went astray and will need to be returned (when they turn up), but the units I got were pretty (really) nice. Getting rid of the Triumph OEM's - which are now in my parts box along with the tail light, shock, exhaust, grab bars, mirrors (I fitted CRG bar ends), brake reservoir, levers (OEM and shorty's), indicators, etc. - changed the look of the bike dramatically. I used some of the OEM hardware to make it all look factory and I really like the outcome. Some stuff never made the bin - chrome handlebars and plastic chainguard went the recycle route!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DW2FG6Q?ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details&th=1

Last Edit: 18 January, 2022, 11:52:35 PM by ZuluTiger