Author Topic: “Easy pull clutch” advice!  (Read 3759 times)

Offline Zevk

• Tiger Master
  • Topic Author
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050 SE 2012
  • City / Town: Melbourne
Re: “Easy pull clutch” advice!
Reply #20 on: 15 January, 2022, 10:13:50 PM
While waiting for delivery of “easy pull clutch” device to arrive, eta mid March….

I have “scientifically” measured the pull weight required, with a suitcase measuring scale.

Photo evidence below 9.69 kg of pull power!

I averaged this out over several pulls, with the bars kept in straight ahead position.

(Lightest was 9.40 heaviest 10.21)

I will repeat the measurement at the same point measured (the eight strap was placed very close the end of the lever)

after installation, I will repeat and then have evidence if this purchase is worthwhile for others… :027:

Watch this space…!  :164:

Last Edit: 15 January, 2022, 10:18:25 PM by Zevk
RV90, XL250, XL500, GSX750ES, CB750SC, VT750, ST1300A...took a while...2012 Tiger 1050SE

Offline ZuluTiger

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050 ABS
  • City / Town: Suwanee, GA
Reply #21 on: 15 January, 2022, 10:18:24 PM
I like it! That's the type of data that the forum loves!

Offline sax_000

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050 SE '12
  • City / Town: Sydney
Reply #22 on: 17 January, 2022, 02:23:14 AM
TCC sent me this link for a "clutch pull" mod:

https://www.triumphrat.net/threads/diy-mega-soft-clutch.683921/

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
Reply #23 on: 17 January, 2022, 07:25:53 AM
Did anybody have success with any of the Hydraulic conversion kits? eg https://www.wrs.it/en/spare-parts/175406-clutch-conversion-kit-accossato-from-wire-to-hydraulic-triumph-tiger-1050-2004.html

I remember going from my '94 Sprint 900 with its hydraulic clutch to a '99 ST955 cable, picked it up, first day 200 miles in Welsh hills, up & down the box all day running-in, my hand was throbbing. Took a few rides to get used to it.
Also: '16 Tiger 800, '95 Yamaha Serow, '58 Ariel FH.

Offline ZuluTiger

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
Reply #24 on: 19 January, 2022, 12:10:27 AM
If it wasn't for the fact that I have billions invested in levers, I'd try this  :0461: :460:. For those of us with all sorts of cash tied to Pazzo, or worse, Triumph branded full-length levers (Mr. Hamlin got me invested in those after I donated my Red jewel-like Pazzos to a better cause in Oz) which I love, we're stuck. I'm hopeful regarding this idea which is all about mechanical advantage. There is no way improved 'lever force' can be at 50% because travel would have to double according to Archimedes. I think 25% (based on the observed mod-box change) is possible and would likely make a big difference. I'm committed to the clutch-end solution and even if it ends up on the lever at the bar, it's a cheap way to extend the clutch cable when adding risers (mine are 2"). With snow about, $20 is just the cost of breakfast and the hobby, so nothing to lose. I'm betting it'll work though.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0786YCQWL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1
Last Edit: 19 January, 2022, 12:26:12 AM by ZuluTiger

Offline gosling 1

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: '08 Orange Tiger
  • City / Town: Connecticut
Reply #25 on: 19 January, 2022, 11:57:52 AM
At that price it's worth a try and easy enough to put back to stock if you don't like it. I have a friend that suffered a severe injury to his left forearm in an ATV (side by side) rollover accident. It resulted in much less grip strength in his left hand. He uses one of these devices on his dirt bike and claims it helps. He has since installed a Rekluse semi auto clutch system which greatly reduces the amount the clutch lever needs to be used. On his street bike (Harley), he found a hydraulic clutch assist device. It was a lot more than $19.99 for that one though!
Larger than life and twice as ugly!

Offline ZuluTiger

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
Reply #26 on: 21 January, 2022, 07:21:16 PM
I received the little device today. So, this was a big fail in my opinion. The gadget is clearly aimed at bikes with a lighter gauge of cable and overall size. Our clutch has a hefty adjuster at the lever end that simply will not work with this gadget. It would be a matter of adding in a weak link, at best, and a flimsy item at worst. My plan to relocate the nipple to allow the engine-end to be the location was again limited by how flimsy it all was. Rather than mess about, it's a return to Amazon, unfortunately!

Back to just living with the Triumph design, which is not a bad outcome. Sometimes there is a reason for the way things are and I'll not buck that in this instance.

Offline Zevk

• Tiger Master
  • Topic Author
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050 SE 2012
  • City / Town: Melbourne
Reply #27 on: 09 March, 2022, 07:33:00 AM
*Originally Posted by Zevk [+]
While waiting for delivery of “easy pull clutch” device to arrive, eta mid March….

I have “scientifically” measured the pull weight required, with a suitcase measuring scale.

Photo evidence below 9.69 kg of pull power!

I averaged this out over several pulls, with the bars kept in straight ahead position.

(Lightest was 9.40 heaviest 10.21)

I will repeat the measurement at the same point measured (the eight strap was placed very close the end of the lever)

after installation, I will repeat and then have evidence if this purchase is worthwhile for others… :027:

Watch this space…!  :164:

As promised, my follow up after long wait of “easy pull” clutch installation

After 2 days of adjustment and trial of short and long extension cables supplied and many test rides….. :189:

Summary bellow with explanatory photos

The good:  :152:

SIGNIFICANT improvement in ease of pulling in the clutch lever and genuine smoothness compared to OEM!!!

In fact it is a measured difference of approximately:

6,330 grams!

See photo evidence bellow

Now…..The Bad:  :151:

The lever pivot mechanism of the “easy pull” does not have enough travel (30 mm) to fully engage the clutch, making “neutral hunting”clunky and has the risk of damaging the gear fork selector

if adjusted with no “clutch cable free play” the gear selection is very smooth but the clutch slips at high acceleration as not disengaged fully!

Also, the pin that holds the pivot lever of the device, is very small and fragile and I predict a failure at that point over time….

I have decided NOT to use this clever device, despite the ease of pull, as I don’t want to risk my clutch burning out or transmission damage…

Now…..this may be due to MY clutch pack which has 37,000 km and possibly needs more pull travel to engage and disengage than a newer bike has…? Dunno…

I have asked the eBay seller for a refund as it doesn’t work for me

If I can’t return the item, I am happy to post to any member, if you want to try, as it may work on your tiger or other bike, just pay me for the postage….

Photos bellow: :038:

Last Edit: 09 March, 2022, 07:44:33 AM by Zevk
RV90, XL250, XL500, GSX750ES, CB750SC, VT750, ST1300A...took a while...2012 Tiger 1050SE

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
Reply #28 on: 09 March, 2022, 09:03:03 AM
Thanks for ^^^ feedback Zevk, tha' dinna get owt fer nowt eh mucka. Been following 'cos a chum had accident losing much use of 2 fingers.
Also: '16 Tiger 800, '95 Yamaha Serow, '58 Ariel FH.

Offline ZuluTiger

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
Reply #29 on: 09 March, 2022, 01:49:28 PM
Yours is a much bulkier version than the one I received. I could not attach the cable. If I was closer, I'd take you up on trying it.

reconstruction