Author Topic: “Easy pull clutch” advice!  (Read 4346 times)

Offline Sidewinder

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2007 Tiger 1050 Yellow
  • City / Town: Sheffield
Re: “Easy pull clutch” advice!
Reply #10 on: 12 January, 2022, 09:28:01 PM
Consider the actuator shaft might be worn/notched by the upper bearing in the clutch cover due to the metal being 'soft'.  Happens to some bikes and is a known fault by T cos they redesigned the part and give it a harder surface for the bearing to act on.  Symptoms can be oil weep and a wobbliness (by hand) of the shaft.

Could be making clutch harder to operate?

Offline Mike_B

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Tonbridge
Reply #11 on: 12 January, 2022, 10:08:06 PM
*Originally Posted by Sidewinder [+]
Consider the actuator shaft might be worn/notched by the upper bearing in the clutch cover due to the metal being 'soft'.  Happens to some bikes and is a known fault by T cos they redesigned the part and give it a harder surface for the bearing to act on.  Symptoms can be oil weep and a wobbliness (by hand) of the shaft.

Could be making clutch harder to operate?

Indeed - see my thread from a week or two ago for a worn actuator shaft.

Offline ZuluTiger

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050 ABS
  • City / Town: Suwanee, GA
Reply #12 on: 12 January, 2022, 10:22:07 PM
Mine's not worn. The clutch is smooth but heavy, as it has been since day one, compared with my KTM, say. Sometimes a duck is just a duck... :-)

Offline 56gr8tdfuybh

• Ex Member
  • Tiger Member
Reply #13 on: 14 January, 2022, 03:01:40 PM
I disconnected the cable at the engine end, drilled two holes and extended the shaft. I had to slightly alter the direction of the cable as it approached the mechanism. It makes the clutch at least 50% lighter and I have been using it this way for 20k km with no issue. It cost a few bits of scrap metal, 2 bolts and lock nuts and a dab of black paint. I will add a photo when I can. 

Offline ZuluTiger

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
Reply #14 on: 14 January, 2022, 04:09:08 PM
I think with a bit of fine tuning, the box can be made to fit at the cable end. Once the OP gives us feedback I'm going to give it a shot. I like the extended arm solution but I always try to avoid modding OEM parts if I can.

Offline ZuluTiger

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
Reply #15 on: 15 January, 2022, 01:28:48 PM
Can't bear the wait so have ordered one off Amazon. I chose one that has good ratings for robustness and machine quality, even at $20. I intend making it fit at the clutch end, if it goes according to plan. I think I can do it with a modified barrel end but like any plan, it may not survive first contact with the enemy. Luckily it comes with two cables so it has some redundancy.

I've never really considered my clutch-pull effort to be a problem until recently. I got stuck in a jam related to school bus off-loading and it became an issue after trickling on for 15 minutes! Now I have motivation to farkle again, albeit for farkling sake, I admit.

I also ordered some pretty handguards to replace the Triumph Csar Bomba versions, so some fettling is afoot while the weather is cruddy over here. SWBO will never know about any of this, just as it should be when it comes to toys.

Offline nfot

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport '15
  • City / Town: Volos
Reply #16 on: 15 January, 2022, 06:05:12 PM
I have installed a similar device, from Aliexpress, https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32817107759.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.45233c00hRH7Jk&mp=1 .
It works great on my '15 Sport since April 2018 and about 20K Kms. It has made the clutch pull, so much lighter.

Offline ZuluTiger

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
Reply #17 on: 15 January, 2022, 06:43:16 PM
*Originally Posted by nfot [+]
I have installed a similar device, from Aliexpress, https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32817107759.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.45233c00hRH7Jk&mp=1 .
It works great on my '15 Sport since April 2018 and about 20K Kms. It has made the clutch pull, so much lighter.

Thanks for that feedback.

Offline nfot

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport '15
  • City / Town: Volos
Reply #18 on: 15 January, 2022, 07:21:53 PM
Forgot to  mention, that my mechanic filled it with grease and installed it with the screws - cap looking upwards.

Offline ZuluTiger

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
Reply #19 on: 15 January, 2022, 08:35:37 PM
*Originally Posted by nfot [+]
Forgot to  mention, that my mechanic filled it with grease and installed it with the screws - cap looking upwards.

Can't fault that approach and will do the same. Thanks again!