Author Topic: Probably not a good idea.  (Read 733 times)

Offline Grouchybastard

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Topic Author
  • Bike/Model: 2010 Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: Buckheaven Orygun
Probably not a good idea.
on: 12 December, 2021, 07:25:14 PM

I really have no explanation. My employer took this picture yesterday.

Online Mike_B

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Tonbridge
Re: Probably not a good idea.
Reply #1 on: 14 December, 2021, 06:47:49 PM
Let’s be charitable and assume that he’s come from somewhere not too far away and got caught out - I’ve done it myself, albeit with less snow on the roads.   A change in altitude can do that quickly.

Bike silliness aside - what does that sign mean?   ‘Tract tires allowed below 10000’?

Online mustangpilot

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2020 Tiger Sport
Reply #2 on: 14 December, 2021, 08:12:40 PM
*Originally Posted by Mike_B [+]
Bike silliness aside - what does that sign mean?   ‘Tract tires allowed below 10000’?
:187: :460: Maybe weight in lbs???
Triumph centerstand/engine guards/heated grips, GIVI PLR6404 side rack/DLM36 panniers, SR6404 top rack with M9B plate, WL901/DLM30/V47N/TRK52B topcases, ST603/602 tanklock tankbags, EVOTECH radiator&oilcooler guards, Pyramid ExtendaFenda/hugger extension, Puig touring Screen & spoiler, Zumo XT with Touratech lockable mount, Osco chain oiler, SWMotech sidestand extension, CNC shorty clutch/ brake levers, SCPROJECT SC1-R can, Micks 25mm lowering plates, KOSO Mini3 volt/temp/time & LED blinker

Online Mike_B

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Tonbridge
Reply #3 on: 14 December, 2021, 08:28:04 PM
*Originally Posted by mustangpilot [+]
:187: :460: Maybe weight in lbs???

I really have no idea what it could be about   Maybe the message scrolls up the display, so we're only seeing part of it.

Offline Grouchybastard

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Topic Author
  • Bike/Model: 2010 Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: Buckheaven Orygun
Reply #4 on: 15 December, 2021, 03:12:07 AM
I would like to give him the benefit of doubt. But knowing that road as well as I do, cannot.  To get where he's at, he had to go from rain to slush covered roads to packed snow. He had several places he could have stopped or turned around. And depending on his destination, had a couple of options that wouldn't have included snow covered mountain passes.   :027:

As for the sign:
During winter Oregon has different levels of travel restrictions. We call them chain laws. Assuming you all know what tire chains, or snow chains are....... that sign was abbreviated.  It meant if you have approved traction tires (snow tires), and you're vehicle weighs less than 10000 pounds you do not have to install tire chains. If you do not have traction (snow) tires, or if your vehicle weighs more than 10000 pounds, then you must install tire chains. Also, if you are ever pulling a trailer you must install chains....regardless of tires. And yes, they check. Hefty fine if you're caught without.   :192:

Offline DeepBarney

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: Wichita
Reply #5 on: 15 December, 2021, 02:05:46 PM
Huh, seems my earlier message didn't post. Anyways Grouchy has answered the part of it about the sign so I won't restate what he has. But I remember some years back I was passed by a fellow on a KLR650 the day after a blizzard, ok a snow packed highway I thought I was doing well to do 30mph on in a 4wd truck. Guess some folks really go for that "Live to ride. Ride to live." mindset.

Granted some years ago on the return leg from a trip to Idaho in my Bonneville I got caught out in sleet and rain on I-80 ahead of an incoming blizzard and pushed on a 100  more miles to get to shelter in Cheyenne (vs stay over in the path of the blizzard and possibly get stuck there until the road was cleared and have to ride snow covered roads for quite a ways). Humans, sometimes we're dumb.

Offline indytiger1050

• Tiger Supporter
  • Supreme Tiger
  • Bike/Model: 79 Honda 750L
  • City / Town: Indianapolis
Reply #6 on: 16 December, 2021, 03:49:39 AM
The motorcycle has to be a Hardley.  Second choice is BMW, I will leave the stereo types alone. Trying to be PC correct in the new year. Why not, seems like it's all gone sideways.
Support the forum.   :031:

Offline DeepBarney

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: Wichita
Reply #7 on: 16 December, 2021, 04:15:27 AM
I was actually thinking Goldwing. To me GW dudes seem be the most likely rider archetype to encounter pulling a trailer and riding in beyond inclement weather. A different breed.

Offline gosling 1

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: '08 Orange Tiger
  • City / Town: Connecticut
Reply #8 on: 18 December, 2021, 01:58:50 PM
*Originally Posted by DeepBarney [+]
I was actually thinking Goldwing. To me GW dudes seem be the most likely rider archetype to encounter pulling a trailer and riding in beyond inclement weather. A different breed.

I agree, looks like the backside of a Goldwing to me too.
Larger than life and twice as ugly!