Author Topic: New 07 Tiger Owner  (Read 1896 times)

Offline DeepBarney

• Tiger Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: Wichita
Re: New 07 Tiger Owner
Reply #10 on: 01 December, 2021, 05:00:12 AM
Been reviewing all the stickies. Some good info there.  Big goals for me right now are to set the suspension up for myself a bit better (namely take some of the stiffness out of it) and go over some maintenance items.

Are you saying I should post bike's mods in that that or here? I need to actually get a list together as I seem to keep noticing new things that were done as time goes on.

Offline indytiger1050

• Tiger Supporter
  • Supreme Tiger
  • Bike/Model: 79 Honda 750L
  • City / Town: Indianapolis
Reply #11 on: 01 December, 2021, 05:17:11 PM
*Originally Posted by DeepBarney [+]
Been reviewing all the stickies. Some good info there.  Big goals for me right now are to set the suspension up for myself a bit better (namely take some of the stiffness out of it) and go over some maintenance items.

Are you saying I should post bike's mods in that that or here? I need to actually get a list together as I seem to keep noticing new things that were done as time goes on.

Hi Barney.. if you go to this section   https://www.tiger1050.com/index.php/topic,23178.0.html
Down at the bottom, look for this.   Member modifications Post a link of all your mod's

Check it out. 

Suspension, for most the stock is way soft.    The front used to dive big time, the rear could bottom out.  For me stiffer front springs and a triple clicker rear shock fixed me up and greatly changed the ride.
If your saying it's hard, then either you weigh 125 pounds or the suspension has been tweaked already.  I'll look around, think I have stock springs but your really better off getting a spring for your weight and what you plan on doing.
Setting bike up for one person, then loading it up for a long trip adding 250 pounds will be bad.  Pick one or the middle and deal with the compromise which is the way of motorcycles. Unless you get a new one with a very high tech on the fly adjustable.

The items to check out are on the New to you Tiger thread.  If you can't find it yell, pretty sure I put it in a sticky.     :410:
Support the forum.   :031:

Offline DeepBarney

• Tiger Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #12 on: 01 December, 2021, 06:05:02 PM
Will do. Just wanted to make sure I was posting them in the right spot.

The bike has a Penske shock and supposedly some fork work done (no details as to what was done) and the previous owner was about my weight and according to him the guy he bought it from (who had shock replaced andthe work done) was close to his weight as well. Geared up I'm around 170, and the only times I'm not riding solo are when it's date night and then the '07 Bonneville gets the nod anyways. I also travel pretty light (<30lbs of gear). I'll just be looking at adjusting the sag to start with and then begin playing with R&C settings once I have a baseline (assuming it is sprung for my weight).

Offline DeepBarney

• Tiger Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #13 on: 01 December, 2021, 11:55:55 PM
2007 Tiger 1050 Mods:

Penske Rear Shock
Mystery Fork Mods
Puig Windscreen
Heated Grips (unsure if factory)
GPS Power Supply (unsure if factory)
Triumph tapered alloy bars
Radiator and Oil Cooler Guards
Battery Tender Plug
Zard Exhaust (love its sound)
LED Auxillary Lights (no brand markings I can find) with High, Low, and EDM Rave settings
Engine Guards (possibly SW Motech but uncertain)

Offline turtle

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2011 Tiger 1050 SE
  • City / Town: Central IL
Reply #14 on: 02 December, 2021, 07:40:22 PM
*Originally Posted by indytiger1050 [+]
Hi Barney.. if you go to this section   https://www.tiger1050.com/index.php/topic,23178.0.html
Down at the bottom, look for this.   Member modifications Post a link of all your mod's

Check it out. 

If your saying it's hard, then either you weigh 125 pounds or the suspension has been tweaked already. 

Indy, I wonder if by "hard" he means "harsh" or some such.  My front suspension dove a lot and had all the symptoms of being undersprung, but still hit me hard over sharp edged bumps.  I changed fork oil weight and got it good enough for me.  Springs might be correct, but the ride quality can still be poor.  Thoughts?  Maybe OP can give some more detail as well on what exactly is not working.  My 2 cents. It's worth both pennies :). 
Bill
2011 Tiger 1050 SE

Offline DeepBarney

• Tiger Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #15 on: 03 December, 2021, 06:19:22 PM
*Originally Posted by turtle [+]
Indy, I wonder if by "hard" he means "harsh" or some such.  My front suspension dove a lot and had all the symptoms of being undersprung, but still hit me hard over sharp edged bumps.  I changed fork oil weight and got it good enough for me.  Springs might be correct, but the ride quality can still be poor.  Thoughts?  Maybe OP can give some more detail as well on what exactly is not working.  My 2 cents. It's worth both pennies :).
Did I say hard? If so I meant firm, too firm. It's bordering on harsh when hitting road irregularities and bumps at 40-65 (most noticeably the little angled rise in the road before where the overpass goes from ramp to bridge and then the corresponding angle/step down as it goes back to ramp). It's not enough to upset chassis, but it'll pop me up off the seat. Feels oversprung honestly (keep in mind this bike has likely been resprung). When on the side of the tire (at less than 60mph) the bike feels compliant and less bothered by the road irregularities than my other bike but definitely firmer (a touch more than I'd like). I rode the same route back to back on my FZ6, which other than progressive springs up front is stock crappy damper rod suspenders, and it definitely handled the bumps on the highway with more poise and I could feel the suspension following the road in the curves with the chassis more or less floating in place, though the bike felt less planted and not as confidence inspiring to push through the turns as the Tiger.

I checked the sag with both myself and my brother (whose got 60lbs on me) on it. And the front squished the same for the both of us ~1.5" give or take 1/8".  :187: The rear was a about 2" for me and 2.5" for him, close enough to 30% of travel I usually set my sag to. I've never had a bike have so little difference between riders of that big a weight disparity (particularly. Thoughts?

Mostly unrelated but I'm wondering if anyone else has had similar thoughts to mine on the Tiger. On my FZ6 (and other bikes I've had) I feel like I'm driving the bike, it is an extension of myself doing as I direct and giving me feedback based on my input (intention and unintentional). The Tiger is more akin to riding a horse, I give it suggestions for speed and directions and just get taken for a ride. Not that I feel completely divorced from the bike or unaware of the effect of my inputs. And it's not a bad feeling, just different.   

Offline Grouchybastard

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2010 Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: Buckheaven Orygun
Reply #16 on: 04 December, 2021, 03:39:06 PM
*Originally Posted by DeepBarney [+]

Mostly unrelated but I'm wondering if anyone else has had similar thoughts to mine on the Tiger. On my FZ6 (and other bikes I've had) I feel like I'm driving the bike, it is an extension of myself doing as I direct and giving me feedback based on my input (intention and unintentional). The Tiger is more akin to riding a horse, I give it suggestions for speed and directions and just get taken for a ride. Not that I feel completely divorced from the bike or unaware of the effect of my inputs. And it's not a bad feeling, just different.   

You've probably already checked, but have the forks been moved up or down, and has it been lowered?   After rebuilding the forks, I I pushed them up 18 mm. Since I did it at the same time, I can't tell you what made the difference, but the result was a much more connected feel with the bike and the road.

Offline DeepBarney

• Tiger Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #17 on: 04 December, 2021, 04:54:41 PM
They're installed even to the top of the triple  (or close as can be called even when it tapers). I've thought about dropping the forks a bit to see how I like it. It steers easy enough, not quite as sharp as the FZ6 but way more sporty steering than my Bonneville.

I think it's largely due to the weight and height of the bike (especially since I'm not a large guy) and the very linear power delivery. Oddly enough it really reminds me of riding a horse, I'm just suggesting how fast it goes and the direction it points, rather than working to make those things happen in on my own. I'll acclimate and become more in tune with it in time. So far it's not been disconcerting or put me off there bike at all, just not sensation I'm use to on a bike.
Last Edit: 04 December, 2021, 04:59:18 PM by DeepBarney

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
Reply #18 on: 04 December, 2021, 05:03:58 PM
Could be as simple as tyres, what make/model & age are they? Using stock pressures 36/42?
Also: '16 Tiger 800, '95 Yamaha Serow, '58 Ariel FH.

Offline DeepBarney

• Tiger Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #19 on: 04 December, 2021, 05:14:27 PM
Newish (~1yr) set of Avon Trailriders inflated to the 36/42. I noticed my frame sticker atually calls out the front as a 19" wheel and lists it for 38psi (sticker shows an October 2006 build date so I'm guess that's an article left over from the previous generation/production run's details that didn't get rectified for the new models).

They handle decently. I'd call them neutral to neutral sporty in terms of turn in and overall handling. I don't think a more V/ellipses shaped profile would change what I'm feeling, though it would obviously fall into a turn quicker.

reconstruction