Author Topic: Spark plugs replaced and other maintainance  (Read 538 times)

Offline Zevk

• Tiger Master
  • Topic Author
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050 SE 2012
  • City / Town: Melbourne
Spark plugs replaced and other maintainance
on: 24 October, 2021, 01:01:06 PM
Hi all,

I replaced the spark plugs on my bike today, as I now have 33k

(needs to be done every 20k, replaced last, when i purchased the bike at 13k)

while I had the tank and air filter off, I disconnected, cleaned (wd40 and compressed air) and re-applied die-electric grease to every connector under the tank and chassis I could get to, many were dry and dirty  :027:

I also zip tied many of the plugs and wiring  harness, to avoid a repeat of my last electrical no start failure

throttle bodies, air filter and MAF air sensor all cleaned, they were not dirty at all.

As an ex honda motorcylce mechanic many moons ago and owning 6 honda bikes, a lot can be said about honda vehicles….they may not be inspiring and some not very exciting, but…..the quality of honda electrical connectors and hardware, FAR exceeds what I see on my triumph….

Hardly any of the connectors are water or weather proof, they are cheap and allow ingress of dust and moisture, promoting failure.  :192:

Be warned, I would advise a clean and re grease every 2 yrs depending on the conditions you ride…

Photos below

Last Edit: 24 October, 2021, 01:05:56 PM by Zevk
RV90, XL250, XL500, GSX750ES, CB750SC, VT750, ST1300A...took a while...2012 Tiger 1050SE

Offline Rhead

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 07
  • City / Town: Long Island, N.Y
Re: Spark plugs replaced and other maintainance
Reply #1 on: 24 October, 2021, 02:04:16 PM
FWIW I found that those stock plugs were pretty worn out ( gap) at 20k miles. Switched to iridiums and regularly get 45 to 50k before the gap is out of spec.

Online mustangpilot

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2020 Tiger Sport
Reply #2 on: 24 October, 2021, 02:41:40 PM
FWIW the iridium sparkplug for the 1050 is NGK CR8EIX
Triumph centerstand/engine guards/heated grips, GIVI PLR6404 side rack/DLM36 panniers, SR6404 top rack with M9B plate, WL901/DLM30/V47N/TRK52B topcases, ST603/602 tanklock tankbags, EVOTECH radiator&oilcooler guards, Pyramid ExtendaFenda/hugger extension, Puig touring Screen & spoiler, Zumo XT with Touratech lockable mount, Osco chain oiler, SWMotech sidestand extension, CNC shorty clutch/ brake levers, SCPROJECT SC1-R can, Micks 25mm lowering plates, KOSO Mini3 volt/temp/time & LED blinker

Offline Mike_B

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Tonbridge
Reply #3 on: 24 October, 2021, 07:11:17 PM
Tempting fate, I suppose, but after 8 years and 65k all-weather miles the only electrical connector issue I’ve has is the one between the stator and the rectifier.   So they can’t be that bad…

Offline Rhead

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 07
  • City / Town: Long Island, N.Y
Reply #4 on: 25 October, 2021, 03:08:37 PM
200k miles on mine. 100 miles in driving rain just last week. Still Zero issues.

Offline chwinc

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: Anglesey
Reply #5 on: 25 October, 2021, 10:57:46 PM
*Originally Posted by Mike_B [+]
Tempting fate, I suppose, but after 8 years and 65k all-weather miles the only electrical connector issue I’ve has is the one between the stator and the rectifier.   So they can’t be that bad…
Any breakdowns/ problems during the 65k ?  :028:

Offline Mike_B

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Tonbridge
Reply #6 on: 25 October, 2021, 11:40:22 PM
The stator itself failed, and when replacing it I found the connector to the regulator was corroded.   So it has been replaced, but wasn’t  the cause of the breakdown - just something I dealt with having spotted it.

Otherwise, I had the cooling fan fail when it was just a few weeks old, but that’s about it for ‘problems’.  It’s had a replacement rear shock (went for a basic Nitron one) and plenty of brake pads and three drive chains, but it’s been reliable.   They’re good bikes really - design is a bit long in the tooth but that means they’ve ironed out the issues IMO.