Author Topic: Battery drain  (Read 320 times)

Offline Davdundrod

• Tiger Newbie
  • Topic Author
  • Bike/Model: Tiger1050
  • City / Town: County Down
Battery drain
on: 23 October, 2021, 02:48:41 AM
Hi Guys. Can you tell me if after fitting a gipro gear change indicator it would cause battery drain issues. Its fitted to the diagnostic plug and live fed through the rear light for power.
I rang a amp check to the negative lead and neg terminal with a reading between .01 and .02 on the amp meter. It alternates between these two readings. I notice the battery dropping voltage whilst connected.
The battery on a good charge goes up to 13.5 volts but then drops down to 12.7.
The bike always starts coming off the trickle charger but the battery can flaten whilst riding and restarting.
I checked / replaced the Rectifier  and it is sending about 14volts to the battery at 3000rpm.
Any ideas. Sorry i know its a often complaint. The battery is only a few months old, i know means little in its self.

Online Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
Re: Battery drain
Reply #1 on: 23 October, 2021, 07:33:07 AM
Did you have the problem before fitting the Gipro? If not, disconnect it & see if the problem goes away.
Also: '16 Tiger 800, '95 Yamaha Serow, '58 Ariel FH.

Offline ZuluTiger

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050 ABS
  • City / Town: Suwanee, GA
Re: Battery drain
Reply #2 on: 23 October, 2021, 01:59:38 PM
This needs to be in the electrical section:

If you are doing the amp check correctly, change the scale on your meter to mA so that you can read whole numbers, like 10 or 20 milliamps, which is what your posted reading seems to be showing. With the meter connected, disconnect the GiPro hot wire and see if that reduces the current. I believe 5 to 10mA is a reasonable standing load and even 20mA should not cause a battery to collapse unless left standing for many days, possibly weeks. Don't switch any other circuits while you have the meter on the mA range or you'll blow the internal fuse, (if it has one).