Author Topic: Best H11 bulb replacement for Tiger Sport?  (Read 2052 times)

Offline naughtyG

• Tiger Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport 2016
  • City / Town: Fremantle WA
Best H11 bulb replacement for Tiger Sport?
on: 19 October, 2021, 03:07:16 AM
As one of my dipped beams just failed, I wondered if thereís a consensus for the best replacement for the full/dipped beam H11 bulbs on the Tiger Sport?

Any extra bright / LED / stronger than OEM ones that some or a lot of you recommend?

Iím looking at Osram Night Breaker Silver twin pack at £18.49

https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/osram-night-breaker-silver-h11-headlight-bulbs-100-more-brightness-2-bulbs-48177036Y

Or Philips X-Treme Vision 150 at £39.49 each

https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/philips-12v-h11-x-treme-vision-pro150-150-brighter-upgrade-single-pack-48177036S

Or any LED bulbs? Heaps on fleaBay, but do any fit?

TIA
naughtyG
Last Edit: 19 October, 2021, 03:47:19 AM by naughtyG
Hot women, fast bikes, loud music!

Offline Rhead

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 07
  • City / Town: Long Island, N.Y
Re: Best H11 bulb replacement for Tiger Sport?
Reply #1 on: 19 October, 2021, 03:29:55 PM
I have been using one of these for the past 12 yrs. Much better then any halogen bulb. I have the 55w.

https://ddmtuning.com/DDMPlusMoto

Offline turtle

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2011 Tiger 1050 SE
  • City / Town: Central IL
Reply #2 on: 19 October, 2021, 03:54:47 PM
 :0461:

HID works well.  In my experience (yours may vary), improvements from any halogen replacement will be negligible.
Bill
2011 Tiger 1050 SE

Offline naughtyG

• Tiger Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #3 on: 20 October, 2021, 01:02:03 PM
*Originally Posted by Rhead [+]
I have been using one of these for the past 12 yrs. Much better then any halogen bulb. I have the 55w.

https://ddmtuning.com/DDMPlusMoto

Did you fit 4 of these, or only for high beam? Did you find the space for the extra boxes?
And which colour did you go with? 5500k looks whitest to me.

Pretty expensive for 4 bulbs, Iím wondering whether to try a set of those LED ones found on fleaBay

Cheers
nG

Offline Rhead

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 07
  • City / Town: Long Island, N.Y
Reply #4 on: 20 October, 2021, 02:28:30 PM
I misread your address as Washington ie USA. I only have 2 bulbs and just replaced the low beam as it takes a few seconds to warm up.

Offline naughtyG

• Tiger Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #5 on: 21 October, 2021, 06:48:01 AM
 Funny no-one picked up on it - I just realised the H11 bulbs are for high beam only!

The dipped beam bulbs are H7..

Iím going to try LED H7, reducing the working wattage but upping the brightness, as I still want to do the Ďall 4 beams oní mod  :047:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Pair-H7-CREE-LED-120W-Super-Bright-Headlight-Headlamp-Fog-Light-Bulbs-LD1849-/373690162421?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=705-154756-20017-0

Will report once complete

Online seangee

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 16 Sport, '21 1290SAS
  • City / Town: Bracknell
Reply #6 on: 21 October, 2021, 01:52:35 PM
I had LED low beams for 3 years. These were properly aimed and putting on the high beams (using the pass switch so all 4 were on) made no difference whatsoever as the LED light completely drowned the high beam. After 3 years I removed the LED as bikes in the UK need an annual test once they are 3 years old, and the LED light would have meant a fail.

Never bothered to put them back because I had cheapie LED aux lights which did the same job just as well and use nightbreakers for one set and extreme vision for the other, can't remember which way around.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Offline ZuluTiger

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050 ABS
  • City / Town: Suwanee, GA
Reply #7 on: 21 October, 2021, 02:44:08 PM
Interesting thread for a few reasons:

Having upgraded an older 1050 to the Sport headlight, I'm amazed that that cluster is not considered adequate. It certainly works well for my type of riding.

LED replacements are usually not good solutions, according to numerous articles on the web. The OEM reflector is built around a point source and LED stacks do not provide the same focus. It can result in scattering and blinding of other users, as reported. I'm sure each person has a different experience but I've never been tempted to use LED's (in main beams) based on this issue.   

Offline naughtyG

• Tiger Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #8 on: 21 October, 2021, 02:54:11 PM
*Originally Posted by ZuluTiger [+]
Interesting thread for a few reasons:
Having upgraded an older 1050 to the Sport headlight, I'm amazed that that cluster is not considered adequate. It certainly works well for my type of riding.
LED replacements are usually not good solutions, according to numerous articles on the web. The OEM reflector is built around a point source and LED stacks do not provide the same focus. It can result in scattering and blinding of other users, as reported. I'm sure each person has a different experience but I've never been tempted to use LED's (in main beams) based on this issue.

Both fair points! I'm not unhappy with the TS lights, but it's not a patch on the LED headlamps upgrade I fitted to my previous bike - Cagiva Elefant 944ie. 
I've also wanted to explore reducing the overall wattage as I want to mod my wiring so that all 4 lights are on in high beam for max brightness.

My thinking with the reflectors is that the low beam (I hope) is built to focus the light down without blinding oncoming traffic. The OEM H7 bulbs are fully open (no 'splitter' as in a hi/lo beam beam bulb) so I'm hoping the LEDs will project accordingly.  At around AUD $14 a pair it's worth a shot  :001:

If it works I'll get ultra bright low beam for all day and night riding, plus the added H11s in the dark, should be mint.

Offline ZuluTiger

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050 ABS
  • City / Town: Suwanee, GA
Reply #9 on: 21 October, 2021, 03:30:05 PM
With the plan to run all 4 beams together, I understand the thinking to reduce wattage. That part of it should make your plan feasible. I looked at my modified wiring to see how I could do the same thing with a timed latch. But, decided it was not a project I need since I almost never ride at night these days.

Let us know how it works out!