Author Topic: New to the world of Triumph  (Read 1194 times)

Offline dkmoto

• Tiger Newbie
  • Topic Author
  • Bike/Model: Kawasaki Versys 650
  • City / Town: Nashville
New to the world of Triumph
on: 13 October, 2021, 11:13:24 PM
My name is David and I've been touring the country on a Kawasaki Versys 650 the last year.

I went to a demo day in Nashville and fell in love with every Triumph motorcycle I rode. Now I want one  :031:

I'm looking at an '07 Tiger 1050 and have a few questions!

Anything I should be on the look out for other than the normal things when looking at a used bike? I usually check for fork leaks, engine leaks, condition of the chain and sprocket and tires.

Any known issues with the '07 1050? Are parts fairly easy to source? I did a quick search and it looks like it wouldn't be hard to get a stator, R/R and fork seals. Just searched for those things because that's what I just replaced on my Versys.

Is the suspension adequate to handle a 190lb rider with a full luggage set? My biggest complaint with my Versys 650 is the suspensions is a little soft when loaded down for a trip.

Thanks! David

Online Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
Re: New to the world of Triumph
Reply #1 on: 14 October, 2021, 10:12:24 AM
Ayup David  :401: to the forum  :031:
Also: '16 Tiger 800, '95 Yamaha Serow, '58 Ariel FH.

Offline Grouchybastard

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2010 Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: Buckheaven Orygun
Reply #2 on: 15 October, 2021, 03:02:05 AM
 :401: dkmoto. 

I moved up from a 650 Vstrom, so similar history there. 

First thing to do is read the sticky at the top of this section titled, "so you bought a used Tiger".  There's lots of good info there.

My experience has been this:
The headlights SUCK.  But there's a couple of options. I went with auxiliary lights. Even after replacing the stock bulbs with LED. 
I had my forks resprung and revalved, and installed an Ohlins rear shock. Absolutely transformed the bike. Best investment yet.
Make sure the battery is at least a YTZ14s.  They need lots of crank.

Aftermarket parts are slowly dwindling, because this model hasn't been available in the states since about 2012.  Replacement factory parts still seem readily available though.

For all the shortcomings and idiosyncrasies, I love this bike. Once you get it dialed in, you'll never get the smile off your face.

It's not perfect, and it doesn't have all the latest gadgets and tech. But you can't beat it for sheer riding pleasure. Especially for the price point. Add that to the support from the members on this forum and I don't think you could go wrong.

Good luck.  :031:

Online seangee

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 16 Sport, '21 1290SAS
  • City / Town: Bracknell
Reply #3 on: 15 October, 2021, 11:35:05 AM
 :401:
Grouchy already covered the main points. For an 07 bike i would expect to budget for suspension work so you should be able to get it perfect for you.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Online turtle

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2011 Tiger 1050 SE
  • City / Town: Central IL
Reply #4 on: 15 October, 2021, 08:44:25 PM
 :401:

I agree with the points made above.  I love my Tiger - it is the best bike I have owned, and I am confident you will enjoy it a ton.

I would add that it is worth finding out what tune is on the bike (a dealer will have to do this, or you can do it with TuneECU software and the proper cable).  The issue as I understand it is that the tune on some early U.S. Tiger 1050s was not compatible with our fuel, detonation could occur, and in extreme cases piston cracking could result.  If the tune has been updated (there is a list of tunes on this site), or if the bike has low miles, it's probably OK.  If the tune is the original tune from the factory in 2007, the best way to make sure the bike isn't suffering from a piston problem is a leakdown test.  There is a ton of discussion about this issue if you search the forum. 

Good luck with the purchase - hope you end up pulling the trigger!  If so, we need pics!!
Bill
2011 Tiger 1050 SE

Offline indytiger1050

• Tiger Supporter
  • Supreme Tiger
  • Bike/Model: 79 Honda 750L
  • City / Town: Indianapolis
Reply #5 on: 15 October, 2021, 10:24:28 PM
Hello David.  :405:

IMO the springs are maxed with your size, I had a couple pounds over you being 6' 4" 
The cost of the work put me off until I had a seal go bad, (weeping) had the springs beefed up for my size.  Well worth the effort if you have any decent roads to travel or just don't like having your front dive the entire travel of the fork.
Put a ziptie on the chrome part of the fork tube and see how far the front dives on heavy braking. Full travel is bad, pretty sure your real close. 

The stator issue has been discussed many times,  my 2 cents put a series mosfet regulator and save the stators.

Your bike is a riot and should serve you for many years. Enjoy the torque of a twin and top end of a liter bike.  One word of caution, it's real easy to break the ton on this bike. Passing a semi I discovered that after I cleared the tractor  :164:.
Check the threads and stickys out.
Support the forum.   :031:

reconstruction