Author Topic: Castellane and back  (Read 1000 times)

Offline af1-windy

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Topic Author
  • Bike/Model: Tiger sport
  • City / Town: Leeds
Castellane and back
on: 07 October, 2021, 01:04:17 PM
We, as in me and a mate, were due to do the NC500, starting last Thursday. We binned the plan when we saw the storm heading in from the Atlantic.

Hastily, we arranged a trip to France, we made it to and stayed in Castellane and rode the Verdun Gorge area. We found some well ridden routes as well as, I suspect, some not so ridden roads. The TomTom Sat Nav twisty route played a big part in this, as an example, we had a no motorways route planned from A to B, 210 miles, arriving at 3pm.. tapped the twisty route button and it added 2 & a half hours and 72 miles.

We did a 12 hours day, couple of 9/10 hours and some 8 hour days, one of the 8 hour days, from Castellane to Granoble via the Gorge area was twists and bends from door to door, great weather to boot.. :020:

Anyway, 2087 miles later, I arrived home, knackered but satisfied we made the right decision to bin the NC500.

Some cracking food along the way.  :001:

A few pics, more to follow..

Offline ZuluTiger

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050 ABS
  • City / Town: Suwanee, GA
Re: Castellane and back
Reply #1 on: 07 October, 2021, 02:05:17 PM
Pretty impressive, both the ride and the daily commitment. 

Offline af1-windy

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Topic Author
Reply #2 on: 07 October, 2021, 03:06:31 PM
*Originally Posted by ZuluTiger [+]
Pretty impressive, both the ride and the daily commitment.

It's been a while since we able to ride in Europe so we figured we'd make the most of it. Tough days but very enjoyable.. got lucky with the weather too, 3.5hours of rain when we left Grenoble plus some strong winds heading back for Calais  :028:

Offline tiggersteve

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 1050,1290,now bikeless
  • City / Town: doddington cambs
Reply #3 on: 07 October, 2021, 04:48:22 PM
  :031:

went the best way, weather here has been pretty dire,
some route guidance would be good would like to do that twisty at some point  :028:

Offline Grouchybastard

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2010 Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: Buckheaven Orygun
Reply #4 on: 09 October, 2021, 01:00:56 AM
Looks like fantastic riding.  :152:  Thanks for sharing.  :031:

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
Reply #5 on: 09 October, 2021, 11:09:29 AM
You had a great time, great pics. Where did you stay in Castellane? We've been many times but always camped, I want some of that food you had. Did you climb the rock up to the Chapel? Fantastic views from up there.

How did you go on with Covid restrictions, were masks required out & about, in shops etc?
Also: '16 Tiger 800, '95 Yamaha Serow, '58 Ariel FH.

Offline af1-windy

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Topic Author
Reply #6 on: 09 October, 2021, 11:32:24 AM
*Originally Posted by Paul2bikes [+]
You had a great time, great pics. Where did you stay in Castellane? We've been many times but always camped, I want some of that food you had. Did you climb the rock up to the Chapel? Fantastic views from up there.

How did you go on with Covid restrictions, were masks required out & about, in shops etc?

Covid malarkey wasn't that bad. It's easy to find out waht's required the just filled in everything carefully. Found a site for the 2 day test when you get back at £28.. it comes with a reference you need to complete the UK Gov passenger locator form. You also need proof of double vac, you need this printing out for the QR code so it can be scanned every time you go in a bar, restaurant etc. Masks are a must, everywhere. We were told by a barman in Reims that the police made regular checks.

Hotel in Castellane and view from the window..

Good secure parking..
Last Edit: 09 October, 2021, 11:34:50 AM by af1-windy

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
Reply #7 on: 09 October, 2021, 11:55:40 AM
Thanks for the Covid info'. That hotel is popular with biker groups, the secure parking helps. Masks in bars? I take it you can remove them once seated, or a straw through the mask  :008:

Did you ride the gorge inner ring also, that's where we've seen the vultures.

Offline af1-windy

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Topic Author
Reply #8 on: 11 October, 2021, 08:32:27 AM
*Originally Posted by Paul2bikes [+]
Thanks for the Covid info'. That hotel is popular with biker groups, the secure parking helps. Masks in bars? I take it you can remove them once seated, or a straw through the mask  :008:

Did you ride the gorge inner ring also, that's where we've seen the vultures.

Yes, masks off when sat down..  :164: :001:

The fancy meals we had were at the Hotel on the second night travelling down. Hotel L'embellie in Treffort, no parking but a lovely little town and we were comfortable leaving the bikes in the car park opposite with just a chain through the wheels.

The second fancy restaurant was in Arras on the way back. Le Dome, 26, boulevard de Strasbourg, 62000. Secure, lit parking and the guy and his wife are great hosts, the hotel and restaurant are both immaculate and the décor is very interesting. Large portrait photos in black & white all the way up the staircase of stars from the 40's, McQueen, John Wayne, Marylin Monroe, Bridget Bardot and so on..

I reckon we'll be back there next year..  :020:

Last Edit: 11 October, 2021, 08:34:24 AM by af1-windy

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
Reply #9 on: 11 October, 2021, 08:47:00 AM
Proper posh eh, canna beat treating yersen now & agin.  :031:

I only did a Scotland trip in 2020, not much at all this year, managed a few rallies in the last 2 months. Hopefully get a tour in next year. Thanks for some inspiration to get back to life as we knew it.