Author Topic: Cooling system - how does it work?  (Read 1306 times)

Offline ZuluTiger

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Topic Author
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050 ABS
  • City / Town: Suwanee, GA
Re: Cooling system - how does it work?
Reply #10 on: 05 October, 2021, 11:17:28 PM
*Originally Posted by Sidewinder [+]
Glad it's sorted.

Looking at it i'd say you've basically been running an unpressurised (atmospheric) cooling system rather than a pressurised one as designed.  So instead of your coolant having an approx 124c boiling point it has only had a 100c BP.  Given that a normal engine temp will run up to 105c, in your system this would mean coolant boiling to steam and therefore drastically reduced heat transfer away from engine.

I also did not have a return from the cylinder head, it was effectively blocked. I should have a much improved system after this. My bike actually did a fine job with this handicap and it seems no harm was done. I'm sure my low usage and mileage helped. I'm itching to make the fix and see how it runs. I'm sure I'll see Rheads numbers. I'm a bit embarrassed that it took this long to figure it out, for sure. Asking here on the forum was my best decision! I would never have dreamed this could be the problem.

I put the problem and drawing of my original to two very smart engineers today. They found all sorts of ways to justify the setup. Both are car guys who know their business and yet neither could explain how the radiator cap could be a two-way valve. We all had a chuckle and agreed we'd learned something. That's a good outcome! 
Last Edit: 05 October, 2021, 11:20:46 PM by ZuluTiger

Online Sidewinder

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2007 Tiger 1050 Yellow
  • City / Town: Sheffield
Reply #11 on: 06 October, 2021, 12:04:03 PM
Everyone should look at you with admiration as you ride past now, given your bike is now much... cooler -  :002:

Offline Rhead

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 07
  • City / Town: Long Island, N.Y
Reply #12 on: 06 October, 2021, 02:48:21 PM
*Originally Posted by Sidewinder [+]
Glad it's sorted.

Looking at it i'd say you've basically been running an unpressurised (atmospheric) cooling system rather than a pressurised one as designed.  So instead of your coolant having an approx 124c boiling point it has only had a 100c BP.  Given that a normal engine temp will run up to 105c, in your system this would mean coolant boiling to steam and therefore drastically reduced heat transfer away from engine.

that's assuming that hes running straight water, no antifreeze
Does engine coolant raise the boiling point?
No Overheating. Water turns into steam at 212F. Mixing traditional ethylene glycol antifreeze with water in a 50-50 ratio increases the boiling point to 223F, which is close to the operating temperature of an engine

Online Sidewinder

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
Reply #13 on: 06 October, 2021, 07:12:07 PM
True, I forgot about coolant mix having slightly higher BP but at atmospheric, however you can still get boiling in certain conditions even if engine is running normally.  A 1.1bar system will raise the BP even further, beyond the point at which an ok engine will run so you should never have coolant boiling in all but the most extreme ambient conditions.

Offline ZuluTiger

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Topic Author
Reply #14 on: 06 October, 2021, 09:28:53 PM
Finally, the right outcome.
Last Edit: 06 October, 2021, 09:31:10 PM by ZuluTiger

Offline ZuluTiger

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Topic Author
Reply #15 on: 09 October, 2021, 12:20:42 AM
Looking back through my records, it refreshed my (poor) recollection of what went on. Seems my radiator failed right around the end of 2014 at approximately 5000 miles. That would be when I crossed over the hoses I guess. It reminded me of the tussle with Triumph USA and Mylers who were supposed to repair my radiator. I ended up paying $321 for a radiator from Triumph (discounted from $899, per invoice) and someone ( I threw it open to interested parties on the forum) picked up my old unit from Mylers who had logistic issues. They (Mylers) were apologetic and sent me some goodies but I did not trust the repair, perhaps unfairly. I wonder if the person who bought my radiator for $99 from them had success? Their error seemed to be a genuine snafu but took a lot of time to fix, hence the Triumph purchase.

My next ride (outing) will be the first time the new radiator actually is pressurized at riding speed and conditions since 2014, due to my connection error. Until now, it has been an atmospheric / expansion / fubar experience. Should be a fun experiment. Man, do I feel stupid. Nothing new, but hard to swallow. I'm looking forward to that 4-bar temperature gauge reading I remember as the baseline. 
Last Edit: 09 October, 2021, 12:22:47 AM by ZuluTiger

Offline Cloudy

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: 2007 Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: Gordonton
Reply #16 on: 09 October, 2021, 12:31:53 AM
You seem to have dodged a bullet here, could so easily have cooked the motor over that time period. Awaiting results with baited breath.
07 Tiger 1050, K&N Air Filter, Snorkel Removed, Stock Exhaust, 20543 Map, NGK Iridium Plugs, Ricks R/R, Ohlins Rear Shock, Ohlins Front Springs, Bar End Mirrors, Leather Seat Cover, Ebay Levers, Ebay Risers, Custom Bars.

Offline Rhead

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 07
  • City / Town: Long Island, N.Y
Reply #17 on: 09 October, 2021, 02:22:47 PM
I cant believe how clean your bike is. I think that mine was dirtier even when brand new.  :002:

Offline ZuluTiger

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Topic Author
Reply #18 on: 09 October, 2021, 07:53:27 PM
Managed a 100 miles today. Gauge sits at 5 bars when in motion, rises to 6 when stopped in traffic, might have seen it flick to 7 once at a long stop. No hint of any fluctuation in the reservoir level at any time during the ride or when I stopped with the bike heeled over on the side stand. In essence, no change from previous experience except the steady state is now 5 bars, solid. And no more burping of coolant at all!

Online Sidewinder

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
Reply #19 on: 09 October, 2021, 08:55:52 PM
My bike sits at five bars under normal conditions too.

reconstruction