Author Topic: I have a parasitic draw help  (Read 766 times)

Offline Theroadwarrior

• Tiger Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike/Model: Triumph Tiger 1050 SE
  • City / Town: Springfield
I have a parasitic draw help
on: 01 October, 2021, 03:01:05 AM
So on my tiger last December the Stator and R/R decided to pack up and die on me. I replaced both of them with ricks motorsports parts. I haven’t been riding the tiger as much but it seems to have a slow parasitic draw if not on the maintainer. I went though the steps to see if there is a draw and couldn’t find any.

I set the meter to the 10MA setting pulled the negative cable and it didn’t register anything. If you move the positive cable to the other dC hole, it registers .4 and if you pull the fuse for the turn signals and horn it drops to .1. Any thoughts on what I should look for as a source for the draw. I don’t have any additional accessories on the bike.
1980 Suzuki GS1000G
2011 Triumph Tiger 1050

Offline Theroadwarrior

• Tiger Member
  • Topic Author
Re: I have a parasitic draw help
Reply #1 on: 01 October, 2021, 03:28:44 AM

1980 Suzuki GS1000G
2011 Triumph Tiger 1050

Offline Zevk

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050 SE 2012
  • City / Town: Melbourne
Reply #2 on: 01 October, 2021, 12:50:35 PM
Just saw your description and that would have been my advice,  you are a step ahead of me…

Does your horn work?

I had a problem after wiring a loud dual horn that was incorrectly wired to the relay I installed as well as a collapsed spring within the cluster that activates the horn button…

Perhaps disassemble the left cluster and clean all the button contacts out with wd40 and inspect carefully

Good luck
Last Edit: 01 October, 2021, 01:02:30 PM by Zevk
RV90, XL250, XL500, GSX750ES, CB750SC, VT750, ST1300A...took a while...2012 Tiger 1050SE

Offline gosling 1

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: '08 Orange Tiger
  • City / Town: Connecticut
Reply #3 on: 01 October, 2021, 01:08:58 PM
I believe if you have the probe leads in the COM and DC 10A ports, the selector dial must be in the DC 10A position, (two clicks clockwise), as well. 

Fuse #4 powers the horn and turn signal relay but those are switched  power, should be no current draw when the key is off. But fuse #4 also sends unswitched power to the instrument cluster for memory and alarm to protect the bike when the ignition switch is off. If you have an alarm, unplug it from the factory connector. If not, the parasitic draw is most likely from the instrument cluster. Not sure what an acceptable value would be but my 2008 Tiger always seems to drop battery voltage when sitting quicker than any other bike I have owned.
Last Edit: 01 October, 2021, 01:35:09 PM by gosling 1
Larger than life and twice as ugly!

Offline Theroadwarrior

• Tiger Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #4 on: 02 October, 2021, 12:07:50 AM
Took the advice above and I got 0 draw on the other amp setting. Maybe the bike just goes through voltage quickly while sitting.

1980 Suzuki GS1000G
2011 Triumph Tiger 1050

Offline chwinc

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: Anglesey
Reply #5 on: 06 October, 2021, 11:44:08 PM
Using the dvom properly helps to eliminate false readings,when checking current draw with an ampmeter in series ,I connect the negative probe to the negative terminal of the battery and positive to negative battery lead. Set to the 200  milliamp and you should get a true reading with your probes in the correct port on the dvom. It could be your battery that is at fault if you are getting less than 30 milliamp drain (0.030)
Looking at your first photo ,because you have the scale at 20ma with a reading of .46  means you have a draw of .0046 amps and because you switched probes to 10 amp scale it  went to zero because on 10 amp scale it did not register .0046 only .00.
Check battery voltage then Diconnect the battery and remove the battery maintainer check battery voltage after few days,bet the battery is knackered.

Offline Davdundrod

• Tiger Newbie
  • Bike/Model: Tiger1050
  • City / Town: County Down
Reply #6 on: 23 October, 2021, 09:05:56 PM
My battery was draining. .02 amps
I was lucky and traced it quikly to fuse 3 horn and indicators.
After removing horn connection and spraying wd40 on both connection plug and horn connectors the battery drain was immediately eliminated.

reconstruction