Author Topic: New Member  (Read 859 times)

Offline Malc

• Tiger Newbie
  • Topic Author
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: Gloucester
on: 16 September, 2021, 09:39:45 AM
Hi there
I'm a new member in the Gloucester (UK) area, got myself a 2013 Tiger Sport 1050 about a month ago, and have just come back from a 1550 mile round trip to Scotland and back, including the Outer Hebrides.
The Tiger was/is brilliant which is undoubtedly partly due to Gaz the former owner who looked after it so well and kept it in a garage all the while.
I thought to join here as I need to check out the best ways to resolve the infamous 3000 rpm spluttering which I did get a bit of on the low speed single track roads.
Cheers guys
Malc

Offline Tigermike

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2019 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Banbury
Re: New Member
Reply #1 on: 16 September, 2021, 01:55:42 PM
 :405: Malc,
can you tell us a bit more about the bike?, mods etc & post a photo?.. we love photos  :152:
was Gaz a member of this forum?
not really heard of the spluttering at low speed on the 2013 to 2015 sport but there is the Arrow race tune you could try if you have an aftermarket exhaust.
its in the thread below.

https://www.tiger1050.com/index.php/topic,32121.0.html
Yam RD125 DX, Kwak GPZ305, Honda CB400T, 1983 Kwak GT550, Suzuki GSF650 Bandit, Tiger 1050SE, 2019 Tiger Sport .... got there in the end.

Offline Malc

• Tiger Newbie
  • Topic Author
Reply #2 on: 16 September, 2021, 02:31:19 PM
Hi,
Don't know if Gaz is on the forum as he's in Leicester area, had a good run back from his down the Fosse Way.

The bike definitely has an aversion to lugging in low speed/low gear at about 3000 rpm (1st second and third), and a mate who knows someone who had one reckons the booster plug is the way to go, so thought I'd take a look here (and it looks like a massive can of worms !).

The issue is not that bad as ususally I'd hope to be going a bit faster, it reminds me of trying to coast on a 2T motocross bike, ie wants to be on or off but not in the middle if that makes sense, no problems in higher gears  speeds though

Not sure if the picture will appear here as I can't see it, but will send this and re-try if needs be
Cheers
Malc

Offline Malc

• Tiger Newbie
  • Topic Author
Reply #3 on: 16 September, 2021, 02:35:15 PM
trying again with the pic

Online mustangpilot

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2020 Tiger Sport
Reply #4 on: 16 September, 2021, 04:46:28 PM
Malc,
"Sputtering" in the low rpm range maybe caused by the ecu adaptation has gone sour.
Try the adaptation reset with fresh fuel, preferably with no ethanol.
From your picture I see that the small heat shield is missing. When some aftermarket exhaust cans are installed such as REMUS cans the OEM small heat shield is re-used. The missing shield leads me to thinking that the OEM exhaust was re-installed without the required adaptation reset.
Last Edit: 16 September, 2021, 05:00:21 PM by mustangpilot
Triumph centerstand/engine guards/heated grips, GIVI PLR6404 side rack/DLM36 panniers, SR6404 top rack with M9B plate, WL901/DLM30/V47N/TRK52B topcases, ST603/602 tanklock tankbags, EVOTECH radiator&oilcooler guards, Pyramid ExtendaFenda/hugger extension, Puig touring Screen & spoiler, Zumo 396 with Zumolock holder on RAM mount, Osco chainoiler, SWMotech sidestand extension, CNC shorty clutch/ brake levers, SCPROJECT SC1-R can, Micks 25mm lowering plates, KOSO Mini3 volt/temp/time & LED blinkers

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
Reply #5 on: 16 September, 2021, 06:00:23 PM
Ayup Malc  :401: tut forum  :031: What Mustang says is most likely, no problem with my '14.

I was down your way at the TOMCC Gloster Meteors rally 1st w/e of this month, good ol' party at the Apple Orchard campsite.

Also: '16 Tiger 800, '95 Yamaha Serow, '58 Ariel FH.

Offline Dusty ST

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2017 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: Brighton, Sussex
Reply #6 on: 16 September, 2021, 08:32:41 PM
*Originally Posted by mustangpilot [+]
"Sputtering" in the low rpm range maybe caused by the ecu adaptation has gone sour.
Try the adaptation reset with fresh fuel, preferably with no ethanol.

I don't think the adaptation process works like that, cut/pasted from the adaptation document:

Both methods only adapt the idle area - the off idle area can only be adapted when the
 motorcycle is ridden under load, i.e. on the road.
The off idle adaption area covers cruise sites from 30 to 90 mph (50 to 145 kmh), so the
 motorcycle must be ridden in this area to adapt. As it is not always possible for dealers to
 adapt motorcycles in this way, it is recommended that dealers inform the customer that the
 motorcycle will continue adapting during normal use.
17 Tiger Sport 1050
08 Sprint 1050ST
01 GSX1400 K2

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
Reply #7 on: 17 September, 2021, 07:57:39 AM
Nah then, that's interesting.  :047: Somebody read the instructions.  :037: Nowt to do with Ikea.
Also: '16 Tiger 800, '95 Yamaha Serow, '58 Ariel FH.

Online mustangpilot

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2020 Tiger Sport
Reply #8 on: 17 September, 2021, 02:05:40 PM
*Originally Posted by Dusty ST [+]

I don't think the adaptation process works like that, cut/pasted from the adaptation document:

Both methods only adapt the idle area - the off idle area can only be adapted when the
 motorcycle is ridden under load, i.e. on the road.
The off idle adaption area covers cruise sites from 30 to 90 mph (50 to 145 kmh), so the
 motorcycle must be ridden in this area to adapt. As it is not always possible for dealers to
 adapt motorcycles in this way, it is recommended that dealers inform the customer that the
 motorcycle will continue adapting during normal use.

I mentioned the adaptation RESET procedure meaning the adaptation parameters are RESET to basic settings. The actual new adaptation for changed configuration is done while riding. By the way the adaptation RESET is also good practice after major service such as valve adjustment, airfilter change, etc.
Triumph centerstand/engine guards/heated grips, GIVI PLR6404 side rack/DLM36 panniers, SR6404 top rack with M9B plate, WL901/DLM30/V47N/TRK52B topcases, ST603/602 tanklock tankbags, EVOTECH radiator&oilcooler guards, Pyramid ExtendaFenda/hugger extension, Puig touring Screen & spoiler, Zumo 396 with Zumolock holder on RAM mount, Osco chainoiler, SWMotech sidestand extension, CNC shorty clutch/ brake levers, SCPROJECT SC1-R can, Micks 25mm lowering plates, KOSO Mini3 volt/temp/time & LED blinkers

Offline Malc

• Tiger Newbie
  • Topic Author
Reply #9 on: 23 September, 2021, 08:50:01 AM
Many thanks for the replies and information, I didn't reply earlier as I had to take my wife away to Snowdonia for a long weekend to make up for going away with the lads the week before  :002:.
All this technology is confusing to me as it's the most modern rtoad bike I've had, but think I'm slowly getting my head round it;

Bloke I know who had a 1050 speed triple says he reckons my issue might be the air filter in need of changing so will get round to having a look at that for starters,

Bye for now guys, and thanks again