Author Topic: OBD2 connection to reset service warning  (Read 390 times)

Offline RobeAmsterdam

• Tiger Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Amsterdam
OBD2 connection to reset service warning
on: 12 September, 2021, 06:04:43 PM
Hi,
I just bought in Amazon one of those 30 OBD2 diagnostic tools. I bought it, first, because I'm curious what info would it give me, and second, because I want to be able to reset the service warning, also I don't want to connect a computer and have to learn how to use a complicated software that can do many more things, so this looked like a good option.

I connected the decive, and start scanning, but at some point it gives me a "connection error". Anyone tried one of these before? Maybe I have to check for specific models? Honestly, I can't find much info in the forum about these devices, there are posts about re-tuning ECU, etc. But I wanted an easy device not having to connect my laptop...

Offline sungod

• Tiger Pro
  • City / Town: Inverurie
Re: OBD2 connection to reset service warning
Reply #1 on: 12 September, 2021, 08:11:16 PM
Was the bike ignition switched on, if not try again.
Otherwise see if the meter documentation gives a Clue.
The answer is 42

Offline mustangpilot

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2020 Tiger Sport
Reply #2 on: 12 September, 2021, 08:51:16 PM
*Originally Posted by RobeAmsterdam [+]
Hi,
I just bought in Amazon one of those 30 OBD2 diagnostic tools. I bought it, first, because I'm curious what info would it give me, and second, because I want to be able to reset the service warning, also I don't want to connect a computer and have to learn how to use a complicated software that can do many more things, so this looked like a good option.

I connected the decive, and start scanning, but at some point it gives me a "connection error". Anyone tried one of these before? Maybe I have to check for specific models? Honestly, I can't find much info in the forum about these devices, there are posts about re-tuning ECU, etc. But I wanted an easy device not having to connect my laptop...
Rob, just a obd2 reader can't do the job.
TuneEcu, Dealertool and Tigertool can.
Triumph centerstand/engine guards/heated grips, GIVI PLR6404 side rack/DLM36 panniers, SR6404 top rack with M9B plate, WL901/DLM30/V47N/TRK52B topcases, ST603/602 tanklock tankbags, EVOTECH radiator&oilcooler guards, Pyramid ExtendaFenda/hugger extension, Puig touring Screen & spoiler, Zumo 396 with Zumolock holder on RAM mount, Osco chainoiler, SWMotech sidestand extension, CNC shorty clutch/ brake levers, SCPROJECT SC1-R can, Micks 25mm lowering plates, KOSO Mini3 volt/temp/time & LED blinkers

Online Cloudy

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: 2007 Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: Gordonton
Reply #3 on: 12 September, 2021, 11:07:17 PM
The check ebay ones can be very hit and miss as to whether they will connect or not. BUT you also need an app. I have Torque which seems to work well with one of the Bluetooth readers I have. I would recommend looking at a better quality OBD2 Bluetooth unit from a reputable source.
07 Tiger 1050, K&N Air Filter, Snorkel Removed, Stock Exhaust, 20543 Map, NGK Iridium Plugs, Ricks R/R, Ohlins Rear Shock, Ohlins Front Springs, Bar End Mirrors, Leather Seat Cover, Ebay Levers, Ebay Risers, Custom Bars.

Offline RobeAmsterdam

• Tiger Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #4 on: 13 September, 2021, 08:01:05 AM
*Originally Posted by Cloudy [+]
The check ebay ones can be very hit and miss as to whether they will connect or not. BUT you also need an app. I have Torque which seems to work well with one of the Bluetooth readers I have. I would recommend looking at a better quality OBD2 Bluetooth unit from a reputable source.

Yeah, I also read somewhere else that they recommend the bluetooth ones instead of the "all in one" devices, that's a pitty...

Offline T800XC

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 800XC & Explorer
  • City / Town: English Riviera
Reply #5 on: 13 September, 2021, 01:20:39 PM
*Originally Posted by RobeAmsterdam [+]
Hi,

Sounds to me like you bought a diagnostic reader (with buttons and an LCD screen) that's typically used to connect to 'any' car and read the error codes etc. In which case, it simply won't work with your bike. Car manufacturers have to comply with a certain set of diagnostic regulations that, as yet (I think), do not apply to motorcycles. Triumph and all the other major manufacturers use the same OBD hardware and protocols as the systems on cars (CAN bus etc) but write their own software when it comes to talking to the ECU etc.

About 5 years ago I bought a cheap reader with a view to replacing the internal PCB with one of my own designs and porting all of the TigerTool PC software (and more) into there. I've recently been having another play with this project. The following images were taken back in 2016...

This is the case from the front running an early prototype version of the software.

This is how the old PCB looked:-

...and this is how my new PCB looked:-

...If things don't alter, they'll stay as they are...

Online ZuluTiger

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: Suwanee
Reply #6 on: 13 September, 2021, 02:48:17 PM
Interesting where we stand with ECU issues. I recently sold my 2001 Chrysler Prowler in show condition for one reason only: It has a unique PCM (ECU to most of us) that is now unobtainable. These are failing and cannot be repaired due to a lack of EPROM's, connectors, etc. It also requires the use of a reader called a DRB111 which some dealers have but these too are failing and apparently cannot be repaired. The emulators do not work either. There are two used PCM's on eBay for $4000 each, which tells you the story of how breakers can gouge owners now. A big piece of this problem is that Chrysler has been sold back and forth and each 'new owner' feels no need to support models from the previous owner. No more transmissions, windshields, PCM's, etc. The aftermarket would usually rise to the occasion but so far nothing has happened, probably since there are only somewhere around 8000 running units out there now. One owner with a background in the production of the car has built a module but is still deep in development and it may take years (if ever) to make it work reliably. My fear is that that the car value would plummet if the issue is never resolved. For that reason, I sold mine at a tidy profit ahead of the possible headache. So, as we get to the 20-year mark for old classic bikes and cars, electronics will be the new skill required to keep them running. You cannot mill out a new EPROM or motherboard, or turn a specialty chip!

P.S. > There are half a dozen vendors out there who say they can do the repair but no one has been able to do so. In fact they simply rip off anyone who sends one in. It's a dirty game and full of bad actors. Hopefully we can rely on Triumph to keep us supplied.....
Last Edit: 13 September, 2021, 02:51:37 PM by ZuluTiger

Offline RobeAmsterdam

• Tiger Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #7 on: 13 September, 2021, 04:07:31 PM
*Originally Posted by T800XC [+]
About 5 years ago I bought a cheap reader with a view to replacing the internal PCB with one of my own designs and porting all of the TigerTool PC software (and more) into there. I've recently been having another play with this project. The following images were taken back in 2016...

Wow, that looks like an interesting project! Let us know if it gets to a point that can be reproduced :)

It is a pitty that motorcycle manufacturers don't comply to these regulations...