Author Topic: Metzeler Sportec M7 RR  (Read 659 times)

Offline dave_a

• Tiger Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike/Model: 2007 Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: Fernandina Beach
Metzeler Sportec M7 RR
on: 07 September, 2021, 03:01:32 AM
Any opinions/ feedback on these tires? Thinking of fitting them, as I liked Metz's on my bmw

The Tiger ran the hide off my Conti's on a 1300 mile trip through New Hampshire, Vermont, and NY/Adirondack hills. Tip-toed home the last 100 miles when I saw this. Yikes!

Offline dave_a

• Tiger Member
  • Topic Author
Re: Metzeler Sportec M7 RR
Reply #1 on: 08 September, 2021, 04:21:04 PM
I'll let y'all know, being mounted now!
$286usd + $50 m/b at a local dealer.

Offline turtle

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2011 Tiger 1050 SE
  • City / Town: Central IL
Reply #2 on: 09 September, 2021, 05:48:31 PM
Never had 'em, so no feedback there, but $50 m/b?  That's like a magic unobtanium number around here.  I do my own, thankfully. 

Did you buy the tires from the dealer, so they give you a break on m/b? 

BTW, that tire is scary.  Don't think I would have gone around the block on that!

:031:
Bill
2011 Tiger 1050 SE

Offline dave_a

• Tiger Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #3 on: 12 September, 2021, 02:18:48 AM
Got the best pricing from J&P and Revzilla then asked the local dealer to match. Then they get $50 back for m/b. It all evens out, but we need local dealers so I'd rather give them the biz.

But I needed a tire(s).....tell me about riding on that with wife, luggage, and twisty roads!  F'me.
The PO told me they were new tires with a couple thousand on them. Did 1300 miles last trip, with another 2000 before that. I figured I had at least 5000 left when I bought the bike. No wear bars on the old Conti's that I saw. Not to be redundant but: F'me! Pretty dumb for a guy who's been riding for 50 years.

Offline Dusty ST

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2017 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: Brighton, Sussex
Reply #4 on: 15 September, 2021, 08:39:32 AM
I've been using M7s for a few years now as the bike came fitted with them. They do feel fabulous and stick to the road, but don't last. I only get around 4k to a set.
Problem I have is I don't get through 2 fronts to a rear so never replace both together.
If/when I do I'll change to something longer lasting, maybe a Metz Roadtec or Mich 5, and hope they feel as good on the road.
17 Tiger Sport 1050
08 Sprint 1050ST
01 GSX1400 K2

Offline seangee

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 16 Sport, '21 1290SAS
  • City / Town: Bracknell
Reply #5 on: 15 September, 2021, 09:29:28 AM
Can't compare like for like but my last Michelin 5 lasted me 12K and it had not reached the wear markers. Changed the front at 10K and that was almost at the wear markers. I also use more fronts than rears, but usually change the front well before its worn because it goes out of shape and the bike starts wandering. This time it felt good right up to the day I changed it. I do ride fairly progressively but for this set I did a lot less commuting than normal.

(Disclaimer: I upgraded my forks at the same time as I fitted the front, so improved performance at end of life may just be down to better suspenders.)
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Offline dave_a

• Tiger Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #6 on: 17 September, 2021, 05:02:08 PM
Sounds like I bought soft race tires. I could actually see having spare wheels with some harder straight line tires for touring/2up.

I needed replacement tires quickly, limited availability/sizes for 1 day delivery.  Good to know my tires are better than I am.
Ha, a trailer tire would be better!