Author Topic: Rear end service - done  (Read 772 times)

Offline Mike_B

• Tiger God
  • Topic Author
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Tonbridge
Rear end service - done
on: 16 August, 2021, 08:40:56 PM
Since we are (allegedly) all excited to be getting back to the office more regularly, my old Tiger is going to suddenly be doing 2-300 miles a week again, having only done commuting duty a couple of times a month for the last year and a half.  So, whilst I have a couple of weeks left, I took the back end apart to clean and service the suspension linkage, and also fit a new brake disc that was picked up as being about minimum thickness at the MOT in January.

I have checked the suspension linkage before and had to replace one bearing, this time I found another two rusty and the third not exactly looking new any more either, so decided to replace all three whilst I had it all apart.   Normally there would be four bearings down there, but the Nitron shock I have has it's own which looked fine, so I left it alone.  Pulling those bearings out from the swingarm and drag link is always a fun task, so I treated myself to an extractor kit which made it it a lot easier than abusing the contents of my oldest socket set with a hammer.  With a generous helping of grease and new seals all round, the linkage should be fine for many more thousands of miles now.

Next up was the rear brake disc, something I haven't done before.  I got an EBC disc and new EBC organic pads, as their front discs and numerous sets of pads have been excellent for me, and they are usefully cheaper than OEM or Brembo.  With the trusty Haynes manual by my side, I removed the brake caliper and rear axle to get to the disc.  I have to say it all came apart quite easily there, not for the first time I congratulated myself on remembering to use a touch of copper grease when refitting the caliper, and indeed it all came apart quite easily.  Unlike the first time I had to remove the rear pads, which was a swine of a job that took about 2 hours.  Anyway, this time no problem, just one seized piston to work free, and the new disc and ABS ring bolted back on nicely.   NB when doing this, the manual says you need a centering tool so the ABS ring lines up perfectly.  TBH I'm not sure why, it has almost no play with all four bolts loosely fitted, so I just made sure it looked about perfectly even and nipped it up with some threadlock.  Popping the axle back in, it spun freely with the ABS sensor clearly lining up nicely with the ring.   A gentle cleanup with a rag of the axle bearings, plenty of fresh grease, and put it all back together properly with no issues (and a little copper grease as anti-seize on the bolts I will need to undo again!)

With new front pads, fresh oil and filter, it was a satisfying test ride to check everything was running smoothly.   Just need to lift the tank for new plugs and air filter, and she'll be good for months of hard work again...

One more thing - I fitted black plastic floor tiles thoughout the garage a few months ago.   Highly recommended - so much more comfy to sit and work on than plain concrete!

Online seangee

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 16 Sport, '21 1290SAS
  • City / Town: Bracknell
Re: Rear end service - done
Reply #1 on: 16 August, 2021, 10:30:53 PM
Yeah that tool seems a gimmick. No problems whatsoever when I changed mine. My Tiger also got a good going over 2 weeks ago. Discs were fine but did all the pads and fluids although I did not need to. Linkages still quite decent but when I was still having dealer services I insisted they did it every time because I ride all year. New Road 5 at the back. Didn't bother taking the tank off because it was only 2.5 k since I did a proper service (which included plugs). TBs were fine and its a fairly clean air filter anyway.

Had to do the tyre, wanted to do the oil and brake fluids because they were over a year old and as always one thing leads to another  :001:. Only niggle was with the amount of not riding we have all been doing I neglected my usual 3 monthy rear caliper clean ups and the pins needed a bit of persuation to come out. Nipped down to a local indy bike garage to use his vice and apply a bit of heat. Shiny new S/S pins in now and created diary reminders so I don't forget again  :015:
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Offline Mike_B

• Tiger God
  • Topic Author
Reply #2 on: 25 August, 2021, 04:52:27 PM
Something I forgot to mention initially - as part of the rear suspension linkage, there are three sleeves that run through the bearings and act as spacers that hold the linkage plates the right distance apart, with the bolt running through the sleeve.  If the bearing is rusty, these sleeves that run through them almost certainly will be as well.   The good news is that whilst Triumph want £23.80 each for these (via World of Triumph or Fowlers), an identical part can be had from Honda for half that price.

Honda part number is 52463KV3000, described as ‘collar’.   Identical dimensionally, and still OEM quality rather than unknown Chinese - just a different OEM.   I have used these myself so can vouch for them fitting fine.

Offline Timbox

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Helga
  • City / Town: Newport
Reply #3 on: 27 August, 2021, 06:26:19 AM
Good find Mike, a similar story with the rubber boots for the sliding rear caliper pins, think the Honda ones are a 3rd of the Triumph price
Ex Sport owner now on KTM 1290 SAS

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
Reply #4 on: 27 August, 2021, 06:46:20 AM
Yes, good find,  :028: but what sent you off looking in the Honda parts bin?
Also: '16 Tiger 800, '95 Yamaha Serow, '58 Ariel FH.

Offline Mike_B

• Tiger God
  • Topic Author
Reply #5 on: 27 August, 2021, 10:29:16 AM
I just googled the Triumph part number, hoping to find an cross-referenced matching part from another supplier, and came across a post from an Aussie guy on a Triumph Sprint forum where he said it was identical.  Seems they have similar cost discrepancies down under too…  So I took a punt and ordered three from Fowler’s, and sure enough they’re a perfect match.

Online seangee

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 16 Sport, '21 1290SAS
  • City / Town: Bracknell
Reply #6 on: 27 August, 2021, 10:59:21 AM
Yup - my Aprilia mirrors (on the TS) are identical to the OE mirrors on the RnineT.
Hint - don't order them from BMW  :745:
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

reconstruction