Author Topic: Rider wear - what gear do you wear?  (Read 609 times)

Offline Anthraxx66

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Topic Author
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050 ABS
  • City / Town: Morwell
Rider wear - what gear do you wear?
on: 14 August, 2021, 12:30:51 AM
G'day everyone, I'm thinking of making the change from wearing leathers to wearing textiles and keen to find out what you like or dislike about your textile riding gear.

What do you wear?
What do you like about it?
What don't you like about it?

I recently ordered a Dainese Carve Master 2 pants and jacket. Unfortunately they do not bring the 'conformato' sized jacket in Australia and the jacket is not long enough for me so I'm thinking of looking towards other brands. I like the KLIM gear, while pricey I think the protection and other features are great.

Any other suggestions?
2009 White Tiger 1050 ABS, TOR can, Komy LEDS, SW Motech rear rack

Offline JohnnyWheels

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2012 Tiger SE (red)
  • City / Town: Jackson, Mississippi
Re: Rider wear - what gear do you wear?
Reply #1 on: 14 August, 2021, 05:51:03 PM
Hot Weather = Rev'it Mesh jacket & jeans
Cold Weather = FirstGear Kilimanjaro jacket & Triumph Explorer pants

I live in a hot, humid climate with long steamy summers and mild, short winters so I ride with the hot weather gear most of the year, with an under-layer when it gets cool. I've been very satisfied with the Rev'it gear - it's held up very well; had it for about 4 years and it still is essentially like new. I also have a leather jacket that someone gave me that I almost never wear because the textile gear is much more comfortable - lighter weight, more flexible, and breathes better in all seasons.
Last Edit: 14 August, 2021, 05:52:50 PM by JohnnyWheels
-----------------------------------------------------
2012 Tiger 1050 SE

Offline toowheels

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: 2007 Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: Western Sydney
Reply #2 on: 14 August, 2021, 10:51:46 PM
I bought a leather jacket, which I've never worn.
I always wear an nylon jacket with removable liner and Kevlar reinforced pants.
I only ride on weekends so I didn't spend a lot of money, I'd probably spend more if I was commuting but I have no complaints with the quality.
Rjays Swift II Black Red Jacket https://www.mcas.com.au/shop/item/rjays-swift-ii-black-red-jacket-02
Bull-It SR6 Cargo Regular Black Mens Pants https://www.mcas.com.au/shop/item/bull-it-sr6-cargo-regular-black-mens-pants-06
| 2007 Tiger 1050, no ABS, no CAT, no SAI | Delkevic 450mm exhaust | JBQ shifter | Centrestand | Teknik fork springs & modified shims | 25mm lowering plates | Bluebird Fender Extender | Ventura rack | Penrite MC-4ST 15W-50 | Mobil 1 M1MC-134 filter | Michelin Road 5 tyres |

Online ZuluTiger

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050 ABS
  • City / Town: Suwanee, GA
Reply #3 on: 15 August, 2021, 12:19:40 AM
Tourmaster Intake - jacket - 3 modes, integral armor, tons of pockets, very nice looking in Black and Grey with silver piping. Tough azell.
Tourmaster Venture - pants - 3 modes, integral armor, also very nice looking in Black and Grey with silver piping to match jacket.
Alpinestar boots and gloves - cannot break 'em.

The kit works in hot and cold weather depending on the layers. I own two sets - one in the USA, one in South Africa, same with the G-Max helmets. I doubt I'll ever need anything more.   

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
Reply #4 on: 15 August, 2021, 07:53:13 AM
I have same Dainese suit bought 2 years ago, seen a few downpours & not let a drop in, jacket or pants. I'm 5'-9" XXL jacket length fine for me, bit tight on shoulders, like most, they make correct size then install protection.

I used to wear leathers & carry waterproofs, a tour of Ireland in '97 converted me to textiles for touring. Two sets of decent lined w'proofs take up a lot of luggage space & a pita keep stopping.

Met a Belgian at the port having come through a downpour, asked how his Klim kit was, he said "One hour".
I have a Triumph Textile jacket, 10 year old, doesn't leak. Weise textile pants worked for many years before filling my left boot on way home from Denmark in '19, hence new Dainese kit.
Also: '16 Tiger 800, '95 Yamaha Serow, '58 Ariel FH.

Offline Mike_B

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Tonbridge
Reply #5 on: 15 August, 2021, 05:05:19 PM
I have Alpinestars jacket and trousers.   It was amazing - rode for 2-3 years in it, commuting in all weathers and with the addition or removal of the thermal inner it was excellent.   Warm or cool as required, and waterproof.   You may note the use of the past tense - after spending most of the last 18 months hanging in the garage, it now lets water pour in on the both the left shoulder and the crotch.   God knows why, it was brilliant and now both parts are leaking badly.  They’ve been stored in a completely dry garage where it never gets anywhere near freezing, and hung up properly.  So I guess I’ll be looking for some new kit myself before long.

Offline Tigermike

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2019 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Banbury
Reply #6 on: 15 August, 2021, 05:44:36 PM
I have Richa cyclone goretex jacket and trousers,  have commuted in it last 2 and a half years in all weathers and has been brilliant, never lets water in.
Only minor issue is that it takes a while to dry if its seen heavy rain on the way to work it will still be damp at the end of the sleeves and legs after 8 hours.
If you want the quick dry stuff you need the laminated goretex which is another 100 to 200 quid more.
I got the jacket and trousers for just under £700 then.

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/311802
Yam RD125 DX, Kwak GPZ305, Honda CB400T, 1983 Kwak GT550, Suzuki GSF650 Bandit, Tiger 1050SE, 2019 Tiger Sport .... got there in the end.

Online mustangpilot

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2020 Tiger Sport
Reply #7 on: 15 August, 2021, 05:52:42 PM
*Originally Posted by Mike_B [+]
I have Alpinestars jacket and trousers.   It was amazing - rode for 2-3 years in it, commuting in all weathers and with the addition or removal of the thermal inner it was excellent.   Warm or cool as required, and waterproof.   You may note the use of the past tense - after spending most of the last 18 months hanging in the garage, it now lets water pour in on the both the left shoulder and the crotch.   God knows why, it was brilliant and now both parts are leaking badly.  They’ve been stored in a completely dry garage where it never gets anywhere near freezing, and hung up properly.  So I guess I’ll be looking for some new kit myself before long.
Ductape works great to tackle the leaky spots, usually at the taped seams of the waterproof liner.
I repaired the leaking crotch of my Revit Gear 2 pants 3 years back and still ok now.

Always have been a Revit fan for jackets, pants and gloves. Not so for their boots. Best boots are Daytona and TCX.
Currently using a mix of Revit, Held, iXS, Dainese and Triumph. Textile and Leather. My most used outfit in the warmer days is a Tribolite Prado jeans and Revit GT-R jacket added with a softcell when cold and when wet Revit H2O rain gear.
Last Edit: 15 August, 2021, 06:06:20 PM by mustangpilot
Triumph centerstand/engine guards/heated grips, GIVI PLR6404 side rack/DLM36 panniers, SR6404 top rack with M9B plate, WL901/DLM30/V47N/TRK52B topcases, ST603/602 tanklock tankbags, EVOTECH radiator&oilcooler guards, Pyramid ExtendaFenda/hugger extension, Puig touring Screen & spoiler, Zumo XT with Touratech lockable mount, Osco chain oiler, SWMotech sidestand extension, CNC shorty clutch/ brake levers, SCPROJECT SC1-R can, Micks 25mm lowering plates, KOSO Mini3 volt/temp/time & LED blinker

reconstruction