Author Topic: Slinky-Glide fork seals.  (Read 396 times)

Offline Woodie

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Topic Author
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050 2008
  • City / Town: Upper Bucklebury
Slinky-Glide fork seals.
on: 11 August, 2021, 03:26:15 PM
Has anyone had problems with Slinky-Glide fork seals. I had one leaking fork but I bought a set of Slinky-Glide seals, a set including new dust seals cost the same as 1 OEM, and replaced both.

Trouble is both sides leak now  :012:.

Now either I fitted them wrong or it's the cheap quality of these parts.

I'm not arrogant enough to discount my incompetence but I have done a good few over the years. Does anyone have pictures of the direction the seals are fitted and the order the components go in. HAYNES manual is unclear and I can't seem to find good and relevant pictures on the t'interwebnet-thingy.

Does anyone have some relevant advice please.
I never touched it, you can't blame me, it went off when I was cleaning it.

Offline turtle

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2011 Tiger 1050 SE
  • City / Town: Central IL
Re: Slinky-Glide fork seals.
Reply #1 on: 11 August, 2021, 05:47:33 PM
No direct experience with that brand, but I do have experience with other non-OEM seals, which consistently leak within 12 months.  My conclusion:  use OEM seals and nothing else, or you will not get the longevity you want.  My 2 cents.
Bill
2011 Tiger 1050 SE

Offline mustangpilot

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2020 Tiger Sport
Re: Slinky-Glide fork seals.
Reply #2 on: 11 August, 2021, 07:24:02 PM
*Originally Posted by Woodie [+]
Does anyone have some relevant advice please.
Yes, usually seals fail because the fork stems have some form of damage. Scratches, putting, corrosion, etc. Before installing new seals be sure that the stems are smooth and to polish/sand the trouble spots with very fine 2000-4000  sanding paper.
Triumph centerstand/engine guards/heated grips, GIVI PLR6404 side rack/DLM36 panniers, SR6404 top rack with M9B plate, WL901/DLM30/V47N/TRK52B topcases, ST603/602 tanklock tankbags, EVOTECH radiator&oilcooler guards, Pyramid ExtendaFenda/hugger extension, Puig touring Screen & spoiler, Zumo 396 with Zumolock holder on RAM mount, Osco chainoiler, SWMotech sidestand extension, CNC shorty clutch/ brake levers, SCPROJECT SC1-R can, Micks 25mm lowering plates, KOSO Mini3 volt/temp/time & LED blinkers