Author Topic: Battery change tip  (Read 716 times)

Offline smartmart

• Tiger Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike/Model: 1050 ABS (2007)
Battery change tip
on: 02 August, 2021, 09:52:07 AM
Having just changed the battery and now added USB outlet connected to the battery found it hard to engage the terminal screws as now have several cables per terminal.
A small piece of card folded to a V and inserted under the loose nut holds it neatly in place flush with the underside of the terminal block making it easy to get the threads engaged squarely first time when putting the bolt in from the top.

This is so easy I suppose everybody has been doing this for ages but I've only just found out!!!!
If I leave here tomorrow, would you still remember me.

Offline Dusty ST

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2017 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: Brighton, Sussex
Re: Battery change tip
Reply #1 on: 02 August, 2021, 11:10:43 AM
*Originally Posted by smartmart [+]
Having just changed the battery and now added USB outlet connected to the battery found it hard to engage the terminal screws as now have several cables per terminal.
A small piece of card folded to a V and inserted under the loose nut holds it neatly in place flush with the underside of the terminal block making it easy to get the threads engaged squarely first time when putting the bolt in from the top.

This is so easy I suppose everybody has been doing this for ages but I've only just found out!!!!

I've seen something like this on a YouTube video, about something else (I don't recall what) and I thought - now there's a good idea that I need to try and remember  :152:
17 Tiger Sport 1050
08 Sprint 1050ST
01 GSX1400 K2

Offline aussie

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: 2017 Tiger sports
  • City / Town: brisbane
Reply #2 on: 03 August, 2021, 01:15:31 PM
You can use a suitable size plastic tube under the retaining nut. Stays flexible and can be left in permanently.

Offline Yellow Dog

• Tiger Supporter
  • Supreme Tiger
  • Bike/Model: 2018 Tiger 1050 Sport
  • City / Town: Quainton
Reply #3 on: 04 August, 2021, 10:09:52 AM
Great tip  :028:

I was picking up my bike from the port and was panicked by the queue behind me whilst attempting to quickly reconnect the battery. It just wasn't happening for me and then I managed to cross thread the second screw  :232:

Realising I'd messed up I asked for a car to be moved and I pushed the bike out of the way. Fortunately there was an old piece of thin rubber tubing on the ground (looked like a fuel feed pipe) that I could slide under the nut for the same effect.

Your idea with thick paper / card would have been a good option  :152:
2018 TIGER 1050 SPORT - 40,000Km with zero tyre wear & zero engine or chain wear (c8

Offline indytiger1050

• Tiger Supporter
  • Supreme Tiger
  • Bike/Model: 79 Honda 750L
  • City / Town: Indianapolis
Reply #4 on: 08 August, 2021, 04:53:11 AM
Have a set of dental tools, one has a nice 90 degree bend.  Allows a nice under the nut support to get the bolt started.   
Don't forget to clean the ground point on the engine. 
Support the forum.   :031:

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
Reply #5 on: 09 August, 2021, 09:52:07 AM
I fit 2mm longer screws when I add connections.
Also: '16 Tiger 800, '95 Yamaha Serow, '58 Ariel FH.

reconstruction