Author Topic: hi all new and looking for opinions  (Read 483 times)

Offline hawley76

• Tiger Newbie
  • Topic Author
  • City / Town: cheshire
hi all new and looking for opinions
on: 12 July, 2021, 06:38:23 PM
hi all I am in the market to purchase a tiger 1050.
my dilemma is I've just been to look at a 2014 sport single swing arm but the dealer was trying to convince me that the more expensive 2016 he had with fly by wire is a far better bike. then I also was told that the only difference between a 2010 and a 2014 Is the single sided swing arm. now I'm very confused as to what one I should really be looking for .
any advice from owners is greatly appreciated
thank you

Offline EricainSpain

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: 2020 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: Valencia, Spain
Re: hi all new and looking for opinions
Reply #1 on: 12 July, 2021, 07:02:08 PM
They made a lot of changes in 2016:  https://ridermagazine.com/2016/02/17/2016-triumph-tiger-sport-not-yet-for-us-consumption/

I just bought a 2020 and it's my first bike with cruise control, and I love that feature!  There's also a slipper clutch, revised ergos, and other stuff that distinguishes it from the earlier models.  Not sure about the changes from 2010 to 2014.

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
  • City / Town: Back in Blighty
Reply #2 on: 12 July, 2021, 10:34:58 PM
Lots of questions there. The Tiger 1050 was made from 2007 to 2012, and had a normal swinging arm - the Tiger Sport from 2013 on has a single sider. The Sport is IMHO a better all-round bike than the earlier models (but this is subjective), because better headlight, better seatline (better for short people) and better luggage.

But it still wasn't perfect (what bike is?), and your dealer's probably right that the 2016 on Sport is a much better bike. Not so many differences from the eariler Sports in practice, but the key difference is the ride by wire smooths out the Tiger's tendency to be over-sensitive to the throttle. Some people don't mind this and have adapted their riding. You pays yer money and takes yer choice ................

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
Reply #3 on: 13 July, 2021, 11:28:10 AM
What he ^^^ said.

How much more is the '16 over the '14? What extras does each have?

The '13 - '15 is like having a quick action throttle.
Also: '16 Tiger 800, '95 Yamaha Serow, '58 Ariel FH.

Online seangee

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 16 Sport, '21 1290SAS
  • City / Town: Bracknell
Reply #4 on: 13 July, 2021, 12:05:24 PM
I would definitely go for the Sport over the 1050. Paullie pretty much covered the differences between the 2 versions and the few extras are highlighted in EricaInSpain's link.
Some felt the difference was big enough to upgrade and others did not. If you like the 14 and its in your budget its a great bike. If the dealer is trying to upsell accept a test ride on the 16 and decide for yourself whether its worth paying for the difference.
FWIW the seat is a non-issue as they are inter-changeable  :015:
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Offline indytiger1050

• Tiger Supporter
  • Supreme Tiger
  • Bike/Model: 79 Honda 750L
  • City / Town: Indianapolis
Reply #5 on: 16 July, 2021, 04:52:01 AM
 :405:

The cruise control would be a peach, that would be a nice plus.
Looks of single side swing arm looks great, from the simplicity or KISS view. It sucks.

With anything that has a engine time and never having an issue makes people love the bike. Many issues the love just isn't there and rightfully so.

We don't get a choice, it's the original 1050 or nothing. Take some time, both rock once has extra features and costs more. Both will make you smile.
Support the forum.   :031: