Author Topic: Back to basics  (Read 1149 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

#10

Offline JohnnyWheels

  • Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • *
  • Posts: 346
  • Bike/Model: 2012 Tiger SE (red)
  • City / Town: Jackson, Mississippi
  • Country: us
Re: Back to basics
Reply #10 on: 03 July, 2021, 06:11:30 PM
Congrats!  I'd like to test ride one sometime but I've yet to see one at my local dealer.
-----------------------------------------------------
2012 Tiger 1050 SE

#11

Offline gosling 1

  • Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • *
  • Posts: 2843
  • Bike/Model: '08 Orange Tiger
  • City / Town: Connecticut
  • Country: us
Re: Back to basics
Reply #11 on: 04 July, 2021, 12:02:40 PM
*Originally Posted by JohnnyWheels [+]
Congrats!  I'd like to test ride one sometime but I've yet to see one at my local dealer.

They are a bit scarce, Most of the first production run was pre sold. My friend put a deposit down Nov. 2019 and bike was delivered June 2020. Another found one at a dealership last year after someone cancelled their order. I read somewhere that Yamaha's production run was much less than expected due to the pandemic.
Larger than life and twice as ugly!

#12

Offline Ukwes

  • Tiger Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 697
  • Bike/Model: 2016 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Hastings
  • Country: gb
Re: Back to basics
Reply #12 on: 05 July, 2021, 11:16:52 AM
Nice bike Tim

A very capable off road bike, you'll need to have a little green lane adventure especially as the lanes are dry at the moment.

I have a Husqvarna 701 enduro, and recently done the Welsh TET complete with camping gear.
It excels at off road, but not quite so comfy on road.
Other bikes: 2010 Street Triple R,  ZXR 400 race bike for track days and Husqvarna FE350 for green lanes, a Husqvarna 701 Enduro for TET and a Yamaha TDR250 for investment fun

#13

Offline Paul2bikes

  • Tiger God
  • *****
  • Posts: 9068
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
  • Country: gb
Re: Back to basics
Reply #13 on: 05 July, 2021, 12:34:14 PM
Good bit of trail riding here.

https://fb.watch/v/31RNGJZ9Y/
Also: '16 Tiger 800, '95 Yamaha Serow, '58 Ariel FH.

#14

Online seangee

  • Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • *
  • Posts: 2896
  • Bike/Model: 16 Sport, '21 1290SAS
  • City / Town: Bracknell
  • Country: gb
Re: Back to basics
Reply #14 on: 05 July, 2021, 04:28:55 PM
*Originally Posted by Ukwes [+]
Nice bike Tim

A very capable off road bike, you'll need to have a little green lane adventure especially as the lanes are dry at the moment.

I have a Husqvarna 701 enduro, and recently done the Welsh TET complete with camping gear.
It excels at off road, but not quite so comfy on road.
Please do tell where I can find some of these dry lanes you speak of  :187:
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

#15

Offline Timbox

  • Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • *
  • Topic Author
  • Posts: 4441
  • Bike/Model: Helga
  • City / Town: Newport
  • Country: gb
Re: Back to basics
Reply #15 on: 12 July, 2021, 06:55:03 AM
So, nearly 2000 miles last week up and back to Scotland. I avoided as much motorway as possible, but actually she aint that bad at it. Im no off-roader but took her down some tracks and shes obviously far more capable than I'll ever be, I did one short but steep dry stony section, which I would not have attempted on any previous bike,  and she never broke traction at all, maybe I will have to get a bit of training and have a go at more. The saddle could be better, but its not horrible, I borrowed a mates Airhawk cushion and popped it on from time to time on the really long slogs. Now a word about Scotland, although Ive been plenty of times, this was first time on bike. I still think Wales has great roads, as does Ireland, but I honestly think this is on another level. Im definately going back to do the West Coast, name drop time, I bumped into Charlie Boorman in Braemar and he told me I have to do the NC500 :001:    Oh yeah, and still averaging 67 mpg, thats 210 miles range easily on the 16 litre tank.




Ex Sport owner now on KTM 1290 SAS

#16

Offline Paul2bikes

  • Tiger God
  • *****
  • Posts: 9068
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
  • Country: gb
Re: Back to basics
Reply #16 on: 12 July, 2021, 10:07:42 AM
Looks like you had decent weather up there, lucky you. I've been touring Scotland since a yoof, some bad weather trips have caused a break of a year or two, sometimes more, & worse, throw tent down the garden on return muttering "Never again".

It's never stopped me for long & doubt it ever will. First time I took missus up on the bike she said "Where've you brought me". On one 450 mile ride home from Ullapool, the wind & rain was blowing us sideways, felt like the front wheel was being whipped from under us, we couldn't get above 50mph until we got to Preston, 400 miles of being battered. We both had to go to work in the morning.
Another bad weather ride home took 11 hrs for 350 miles from Fort William, after climbing Ben Nevis the day before, every services we pulled into for a break, we'd bump into the same German bikers also drowned, gloves under the toilet hand dryers.
Also: '16 Tiger 800, '95 Yamaha Serow, '58 Ariel FH.

#17

Offline Timbox

  • Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • *
  • Topic Author
  • Posts: 4441
  • Bike/Model: Helga
  • City / Town: Newport
  • Country: gb
Re: Back to basics
Reply #17 on: 12 July, 2021, 08:11:27 PM
*Originally Posted by Paul2bikes [+]
Looks like you had decent weather up there, lucky you. I've been touring Scotland since a yoof, some bad weather trips have caused a break of a year or two, sometimes more, & worse, throw tent down the garden on return muttering "Never again".

It's never stopped me for long & doubt it ever will. First time I took missus up on the bike she said "Where've you brought me". On one 450 mile ride home from Ullapool, the wind & rain was blowing us sideways, felt like the front wheel was being whipped from under us, we couldn't get above 50mph until we got to Preston, 400 miles of being battered. We both had to go to work in the morning.
Another bad weather ride home took 11 hrs for 350 miles from Fort William, after climbing Ben Nevis the day before, every services we pulled into for a break, we'd bump into the same German bikers also drowned, gloves under the toilet hand dryers.

Oh no, I had me fair share of the wet stuff, going up the first Saturday was the worst, though the day I bumped into Charlie was also fairly damp. Coming back yesterday it also started to tip around Shropshire/Hereford Borders, the old Rukka suit never lets me down, but cant say same about Gloves
Ex Sport owner now on KTM 1290 SAS

#18

Offline Grouchybastard

  • Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • *
  • Posts: 335
  • Bike/Model: 2010 Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: Buckheaven Orygun
  • Country: us
Re: Back to basics
Reply #18 on: 13 July, 2021, 12:08:30 AM
That's awesome.  Since I seem to be stuck in the 1900's,  :033: I only recently discovered the Long Way series. Started with Long Way Up, then watched Long Way Round, and currently on episode 2 of Long Way Down. 

 



reconstruction