Author Topic: Non Starter= after fault clearance  (Read 1713 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

#20

Offline indytiger1050

  • Tiger Supporter
  • Supreme Tiger
  • *
  • Posts: 22135
  • Bike/Model: 79 Honda 750L
  • City / Town: Indianapolis
  • Country: us
Re: Non Starter= after fault clearance
Reply #20 on: 19 June, 2021, 03:37:15 PM
*Originally Posted by Woodie [+]
The pump failed
  I'm not doubting the pump isn't working right now.  Unless they changed the bits, the fuel connectors and electrical are a PAIN IN THE rear to get off.  The fuel connectors click well, the electrical not so much, 40 years doing electronics still surprised but how things fail. Might just be some really bad timing/luck to happen right after clearing the faults.


Not saying I ever had a issue like this but once the I think it's together, BEFORE any bolt or screw is installed start the bike let warm up and get to temp.   The later part should suggest other issues could crop up.

As stated earlier, I'm positive the code clearing would not cause a no start. A failed tune load can toast the ECU (Make it a vegetable) So it won't allow your program to connect again.
10 deep breaths, forget everything  you have done and start over.   


Stick with us, don't loose patience and you will get this done.
Support the forum.   :031:

#21

Offline Woodie

  • Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • *
  • Topic Author
  • Posts: 272
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050 2008
  • City / Town: Upper Bucklebury
  • Country: gb
Re: Non Starter= after fault clearance
Reply #21 on: 19 June, 2021, 07:09:47 PM
*Originally Posted by Sidewinder [+]
"To be honest I didn't want to dismantle it again,  mainly as it has a full tank and its a PITA to drain to get to the top of the engine."

FYI the fuel hose connector is self sealing, you'll get a dribble out on disconnection but that is all.

I know. But a full tank is over 25kg, bloody awkward and the whole cockpit has to come off first.
I never touched it, you can't blame me, it went off when I was cleaning it.

#22

Offline Woodie

  • Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • *
  • Topic Author
  • Posts: 272
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050 2008
  • City / Town: Upper Bucklebury
  • Country: gb
Re: Non Starter= after fault clearance
Reply #22 on: 19 June, 2021, 07:15:09 PM
*Originally Posted by Freddy [+]
Yeah, but how?  What did it or not do?  As I say, just curious.  Repairing ABS unit are a bit of a hobby for me.

The brakes went solid, bypassing the ABS got me full brakes so the rest of the system was OK. I could have tried to fix it but an ebay purchase was only 50. No brainer. 
I never touched it, you can't blame me, it went off when I was cleaning it.

#23

Offline Woodie

  • Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • *
  • Topic Author
  • Posts: 272
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050 2008
  • City / Town: Upper Bucklebury
  • Country: gb
Re: Non Starter= after fault clearance
Reply #23 on: 19 June, 2021, 07:25:34 PM
*Originally Posted by indytiger1050 [+]
  I'm not doubting the pump isn't working right now.  Unless they changed the bits, the fuel connectors and electrical are a PAIN IN THE rear to get off.  The fuel connectors click well, the electrical not so much, 40 years doing electronics still surprised but how things fail. Might just be some really bad timing/luck to happen right after clearing the faults.


Not saying I ever had a issue like this but once the I think it's together, BEFORE any bolt or screw is installed start the bike let warm up and get to temp.   The later part should suggest other issues could crop up.

As stated earlier, I'm positive the code clearing would not cause a no start. A failed tune load can toast the ECU (Make it a vegetable) So it won't allow your program to connect again.
10 deep breaths, forget everything  you have done and start over.   


Stick with us, don't loose patience and you will get this done.

I don't want to sound rude but at the risk of repeating myself. The ABS fault is nothing to do with it not starting!

I only mentioned it as I had to strip half the bike out to get it replaced. And I think that caused the fault lights, only after I cleared the faults would it not start!

Unfortunately for me I have to work for a living so not had a chance to try anything yet. Was hoping for greater minds to provide valid suggestions to try before I went back to basics and pulled to bits again.


I'll let you all know how tomorrow (Sunday uk time) goes.

I never touched it, you can't blame me, it went off when I was cleaning it.

#24

Online tiggersteve

  • Tiger God
  • *****
  • Posts: 8627
  • Bike/Model: 1050,1290,now bikeless
  • City / Town: doddington cambs
  • Country: gb
Re: Non Starter= after fault clearance
Reply #24 on: 19 June, 2021, 08:42:49 PM
Shame you didn't record the fault codes, may have helped,
as you stripped a lot of stuff off only option without the codes is to trace back  :006:
hope for some good news tomorrow

#25

Offline Freddy

  • Tiger God
  • *****
  • Posts: 1383
  • City / Town: West Aus
  • Country: au
Re: Non Starter= after fault clearance
Reply #25 on: 20 June, 2021, 12:06:04 AM
*Originally Posted by Woodie [+]
The brakes went solid, bypassing the ABS got me full brakes so the rest of the system was OK. I could have tried to fix it but an ebay purchase was only 50. No brainer.

Front or rear?  Still curious.  The series 1 Kawasaki 1400GTR has the same failure on the rear on rare occasions.  The very same ABS unit is in both bikes, tho the ECU is obviously calibrated differently.  I have one and repair the units for other owners.
The best substitute for brains is ........what?

#26

Offline Woodie

  • Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • *
  • Topic Author
  • Posts: 272
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050 2008
  • City / Town: Upper Bucklebury
  • Country: gb
Re: Non Starter= after fault clearance
Reply #26 on: 20 June, 2021, 08:15:52 PM
*Originally Posted by Freddy [+]
Front or rear?  Still curious.  The series 1 Kawasaki 1400GTR has the same failure on the rear on rare occasions.  The very same ABS unit is in both bikes, tho the ECU is obviously calibrated differently.  I have one and repair the units for other owners.

The brakes, all of them.
I never touched it, you can't blame me, it went off when I was cleaning it.

#27

Offline Woodie

  • Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • *
  • Topic Author
  • Posts: 272
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050 2008
  • City / Town: Upper Bucklebury
  • Country: gb
Re: Non Starter= after fault clearance
Reply #27 on: 20 June, 2021, 08:44:08 PM
*Originally Posted by tiggersteve [+]
Shame you didn't record the fault codes, may have helped,
as you stripped a lot of stuff off only option without the codes is to trace back  :006:
hope for some good news tomorrow

WELL BUGGER ME. . . IT STARTED.

Armed with a few ideas and a determined attitude I went to the garage.  Decided to first turn the bike over to see if the codes would resurface,  gave it a good wind over . . Whirr, whirr, whirr. Trying to listen for noises, fuel pump,  valves, usual noises. Snifing for excessive petrol smell et'c.
Whirr, whirr, whirr. COUGH! . . WTF.

Bear in mind I've flattened the battery several times over and nothing,

tried again . . Same again after a good wind over it coughed. 

So gave it a good squirt of Easy-Start up the intake, this time it whirrred a few times then started... very lumpy at first but after about 30 seconds settled down.

Very baffled.  Turned it off , tried again,  it fired up?

Left it an hour, it fired up?

Not sure what happened.  So next steps. Get MOT sorted and run it for few days to serif it refuses to start again and to empty tank a bit.
Then take tank off and go through all the connectors, pipes and sensors to make sure all are on properly

And then get it sold.




(DONT PANIC, just looking for newer Tiger Sport or maybe a deposit on a 850 sport. )


I never touched it, you can't blame me, it went off when I was cleaning it.

#28

Offline Paullie

  • Tiger God
  • *****
  • Posts: 5762
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
  • City / Town: Back in Blighty
  • Country: gb
Re: Non Starter= after fault clearance
Reply #28 on: 20 June, 2021, 10:45:36 PM
After all that, bad fuel ... ?  :027:

#29

Offline Woodie

  • Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • *
  • Topic Author
  • Posts: 272
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050 2008
  • City / Town: Upper Bucklebury
  • Country: gb
Re: Non Starter= after fault clearance
Reply #29 on: 21 June, 2021, 07:27:36 AM
*Originally Posted by Paullie [+]
After all that, bad fuel ... ?  :027:

It could be I suppose. but why would it suddenly not fire up when it had been consistently firing up after I'd done all the work (I won't mention the ABS again so peeps won't fixate on a non-existent problem... OH! ... Bugger!)
I'd even taken it for a cheeky ride round the village to check if the *** light went out.

left over night, fired up this AM first turn of the key. Baffled of Bucklebury here.
I never touched it, you can't blame me, it went off when I was cleaning it.