Author Topic: Non Starter= after fault clearance  (Read 1711 times)

Offline Woodie

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Topic Author
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050 2008
  • City / Town: Upper Bucklebury
Re: Non Starter= after fault clearance
Reply #10 on: 18 June, 2021, 04:27:54 PM
*Originally Posted by Freddy [+]
What was wrong with the brakes/ABS unit?

After you replaced the ABS unit it started ok.  But it had a fault code(s) which, after clearing, eng would not start.

I'd reconnect the diagnostic tool and see if it shows a fault now.

*Originally Posted by indytiger1050 [+]
It has been a long while, the ABS unit is not need for the bike to run.  The ABS is a standalone unit that only complains to the ECU when it has a fault, faults don't stop the engine just lights the cluster showing abs fault.

I realise it is but as I described, to get the unit out from the bowels of the frame where it is fitted much of the ancillaries of the engine had to be removed for access.

As I said in my original post after I'd replaced the ABS unit it started easily. I don't suggest that the ABS has anything to do with it not starting just having removed so much to get to it may have caused the fault lights.

Only after I cleared the fault codes would it not start.

Having only minimal experience with bike electronics I was hoping someone with more experience would actually read what I wrote and agree/disagree with my idea of flashing the ECU.

I'll go back to basics like I would with old fashioned engine management and look for the Triumvirate of fuel, ignition and oxygen

Cheers.
I never touched it, you can't blame me, it went off when I was cleaning it.

Offline Freddy

• Tiger God
  • City / Town: West Aus
Reply #11 on: 19 June, 2021, 02:46:33 AM
We read what you said.  If you want folks like me to possibly help you, you need to respond to any questions we may ask for clarification, even if they seem irrelevant to you. 

Have you re-connected your diagnostic unit se check for any faults?  If so, what was shown?

To address your idea of 'flashing the ECU' - the ECU is most unlikely to be be cause of the no-start, so getting it flashed is unlikely to solve your problem.  Some other component which feeds it is more likely to be the problem, hence my question above.  Sure, the engine needs fuel, spark & compression to happen at the right time in order to run.  It obviously has compression.

It's a problem that you have created somehow, since it was running.  Diagnosing such an issue over the internet is fraught with difficulty, if not impossible, as you know.
Last Edit: 19 June, 2021, 02:51:09 AM by Freddy
The best substitute for brains is ........what?

Offline Woodie

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Topic Author
Reply #12 on: 19 June, 2021, 08:34:56 AM
Thanks Freddy,

The first thing I did was recheck using my diag tool. Should have said that.

And I realise i have caused this. I explained I have little experience with bike electronics but to me the ECU controls the ignition triangle so if you my diag tool has inadvertently rewritten code/deleted something, returning it to factory should correct this. (I do it to servers all the time)

To be honest I didn't want to dismantle it again,  mainly as it has a full tank and its a PITA to drain to get to the top of the engine.

However,  it ran before and apart from the OBD2 connector nothing was disturbed  so in my logic only something affected by my diag tool could be responsible.

Offline Freddy

• Tiger God
Reply #13 on: 19 June, 2021, 09:00:06 AM
TuneECU is what's used on these bikes to change/reload 'tunes' as they are called - 'maps' by some other manufacturers.  I haven't used TuneECU myself but many folks here have.  Others will be able to help you with Tune ECU.  Yes, it very odd that simply clearing codes has created this issue.

Just out of curiosity, what was wrong with the ABS unit that caused you to replace it?

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
Reply #14 on: 19 June, 2021, 09:07:02 AM
If a fuel pressure sensor code came up, mebbe you made a fecka of connecting the tank.
Also: '16 Tiger 800, '95 Yamaha Serow, '58 Ariel FH.

Online T800XC

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 800XC & Explorer
  • City / Town: English Riviera
Reply #15 on: 19 June, 2021, 09:11:25 AM
*Originally Posted by Woodie [+]
The first thing I did was recheck using my diag tool.

What diagnostic tool did you use?

To clear fault codes TriTun, TuneECU, Dealertool and TigerTool all use the same basic commands, none of which should cause any ECU issues.

If you used something other than these then perhaps there's an outside chance of a setting getting screwed.
...If things don't alter, they'll stay as they are...

Offline Yellow Dog

• Tiger Supporter
  • Supreme Tiger
  • Bike/Model: 2018 Tiger 1050 Sport
  • City / Town: Quainton
Reply #16 on: 19 June, 2021, 09:37:58 AM
This tread reads like you will need to get access to all the connectors under the tank again to confirm all are snapped up tightly.

I'd try the fuel connector first (especially as there is no smell of fuel after the rapid turnover) as you can get to that one without removing the tank  :031:
2018 TIGER 1050 SPORT - 40,000Km with zero tyre wear & zero engine or chain wear (c8

Offline Woodie

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Topic Author
Reply #17 on: 19 June, 2021, 09:45:27 AM
*Originally Posted by Freddy [+]

Just out of curiosity, what was wrong with the ABS unit that caused you to replace it?

The pump failed

Online Sidewinder

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2007 Tiger 1050 Yellow
  • City / Town: Sheffield
Reply #18 on: 19 June, 2021, 11:22:40 AM
"To be honest I didn't want to dismantle it again,  mainly as it has a full tank and its a PITA to drain to get to the top of the engine."

FYI the fuel hose connector is self sealing, you'll get a dribble out on disconnection but that is all.

Offline Freddy

• Tiger God
Reply #19 on: 19 June, 2021, 12:51:57 PM
*Originally Posted by Woodie [+]
The pump failed

Yeah, but how?  What did it or not do?  As I say, just curious.  Repairing ABS unit are a bit of a hobby for me.