Author Topic: Triumph Rattling Alternator  (Read 1331 times)

Offline apw99

• Tiger Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport, TTR250
Re: Triumph Rattling Alternator
Reply #10 on: 30 September, 2021, 12:23:05 PM
Hi folks. After a 6hr run my rattle was more consistent. The fine goes fine and has had this rattle, albeit not as bad, for a long time.
I have checked the alternator, all fine. Checked the starter and sprag clutch.
Have a listen on this YouTube clip:

It is impossible to tell which side of the engine the noise is coming from, also screw-driver to the ear has not helped.

I currently suspect timing chain guides, have a look at this clip and I would be interested to know if this guide should move like in the clip:

Many thanks for your help, this one has my tiny mind wrecked!

Online Sidewinder

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2007 Tiger 1050 Yellow
  • City / Town: Sheffield
Reply #11 on: 30 September, 2021, 02:54:18 PM
Check how much adjustment is left on your timing chain adjuster.

Offline apw99

• Tiger Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #12 on: 02 October, 2021, 09:05:48 AM
Thanks Sidewinder, I will check that.

Offline apw99

• Tiger Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #13 on: 10 October, 2021, 09:53:43 PM
Hi Sidewinder, can you explain to me exactly what those measurements mean?
I have so far pulled the covers on the starter and sprag, I had suspected the noise was a sprag 'catching' but it all looked fine. Then I pulled the clutch cover, noticed the center bearing is very notchy but when I removed the centre plate the bearing feels fine so I think it just does this when the shaft is pressuring the bearing, has anyone else ever noticed this?
https://youtube.com/shorts/sGtnpAZUmhA?feature=share

Next I pulled the cam cover, checked the chain guides, all look okay. Checked the shim clearance as I was in there, all were perfect. Pulled the tensioner and it seems to have a little wear
So I'm wondering if this tensioner is slipping from tome to time and causing the mechanical catching sound - any thoughts anyone?

From a side-view I could see that the teeth were all still intact on the tensioner shaft.

Online Sidewinder

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2007 Tiger 1050 Yellow
  • City / Town: Sheffield
Reply #14 on: 10 October, 2021, 10:05:10 PM
They are to give an indication of how much travel is left on the tensioner tongue, this in turn tells you wether the cam chain is still being held in tension by it and how much adjustment is left.  Can be done without removing the tensioner itself as doing so can potentially cause the chain to lose position on the cogs and put the timing put and also not be seated on the guide blade properly.  If you've taken all the covers off anyway this is not such an issue as you can see what's going on and if timing is ok etc.

The measurements i quoted represent he extremes of the tongue's movement from fully in to fully out.   Given you've removed the unit, you should be able to easily see if it has any adjustment left ie could the tongue be pulled out any further?

reconstruction