Offline seangee

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Topic Author
  • Bike/Model: 16 Sport, '21 1290SAS
  • City / Town: Bracknell
H cafe
on: 05 June, 2021, 08:06:21 PM
First pick a weapon for a day out. Much to the disappointment of Mrs Gee the little black number never got a look in. She's away for the weekend in my car and I bet she left it with an empty tank anyway

Next remove top box and instruct TomTom to plan a circular adventure route to H Cafe. Uh oh there's a cable to the horn that needs tidying away.

Arrive to find its absolutely rammed (what a surprise), and I forgot my mask

Park up outside and take a walk around with my pre-packed lunch and bevvy. Disappointed not to spot a single Tiger - at least not one with a 1050 lump

Back home for a wash, cable tidy and top up the PDOiler. Also put the top box back as I'm doing a much longer ride to and around Wilts tomorrow. And replaced the rubber grommets that stop the top box from rattling cos the old ones were no longer doing their job.

Side note: Finally acknowledged that Winter (2020  :015:) is over and put back the stock screen. Rode with it in the low position with summer gear. It was my first outing with my new HJC. Never thought I'd be saying this but the bike and screen were impressively quiet in the new hat - and yes I did get up to motorway speeds.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Offline tiggersteve

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 1050,1290,now bikeless
  • City / Town: doddington cambs
Re: H cafe
Reply #1 on: 05 June, 2021, 09:40:42 PM
So why exactly did you buy the Katoom  :084:
For me the Tiger wouldn't get a look in.

Offline seangee

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Topic Author
Reply #2 on: 05 June, 2021, 10:32:34 PM
*Originally Posted by tiggersteve [+]
So why exactly did you buy the Katoom  :084:
For me the Tiger wouldn't get a look in.
I do sometimes have second thoughts about keeping the Tiger. It will be going with me to Devon next time I go down and saying there.
Big orange thing is parked up at the mo. I am 100 miles overdue for the first service and the earliest booking I could get is 2 1/2 weeks off (booked before I collected the bike). With KTM's reputation for customer service and reliability I am not taking any chances on messing with the warranty. Its way too early to tell if that reputation is justified or not.

Riding the Tiger still puts a grin on my face and (if I do keep it) once the KTM is out of warranty it will still be a rock solid and reliable workhorse that's also fun to ride.

Offline tiggersteve

• Tiger God
Reply #3 on: 06 June, 2021, 10:43:53 AM
Ah ok that explains a lot,
When I bought my 1290 sales guy was enthusiastic and welcoming but then didn't have time never asked how I was getting on or interested in any feedback,
when it was in for a service I waited for it as they had a sitting room with pool table tv coffee m/c,
after a period of time I went to service desk he said it would be about an hour, waited went back 2 HOURS later service guy wasn't there so went to sales guy who was chatting with a shop guy when he looked at me I asked him to find out how much longer and he said I interrupted his conversation  :013: how I kept my cool I don't know!
May just be the Dealer, Gear 4 KTM in Market Deeping, I would buy another If it was the right bike but not from them.

Bike was reliable did a 10 trip round europe never missed a beat, an ex 1050 guy off here I meet up with sometimes is on his second 1190 both over 40k

Online ZuluTiger

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050 ABS
  • City / Town: Suwanee, GA
Reply #4 on: 06 June, 2021, 01:48:56 PM
Two different continents, same KTM experience! Once you own the bike they move on to fresher fish. Every service visit was a mess mainly because they were over-booked or under-staffed. This was WAY before CV-19 so just highlighted bad management. Toyota need to buy KTM and make it the finest marque on the planet.

Offline tiggersteve

• Tiger God
Reply #5 on: 06 June, 2021, 02:06:18 PM
*Originally Posted by ZuluTiger [+]
Two different continents, same KTM experience! Once you own the bike they move on to fresher fish. Every service visit was a mess mainly because they were over-booked or under-staffed. This was WAY before CV-19 so just highlighted bad management. Toyota need to buy KTM and make it the finest marque on the planet.

People say the same about BMW but my local dealer is the best dealer period any make, never bought one (mate is on his third GS/GSA) but been going in for years and years
always a smile and welcoming attitude, first name terms, recently rode all the iterations of the 1250 but nothing worked it's a shame because I wanted to deal with them

Offline tiggersteve

• Tiger God
Reply #6 on: 06 June, 2021, 02:07:26 PM
Going off topic again

:431:

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
  • City / Town: Back in Blighty
Reply #7 on: 07 June, 2021, 05:38:11 PM
I was there on my Sport on the Saturday, late morning. it was pretty quiet then and I didn't stay long - had to pick up some bits from the bike garage next door. Were a couple of classic Suzukis at t'other end of the car park (T500, GT380, GT750).

Went again on the Sunday on the Guzzi, and then it was rammed. Had quite a good chat to a little Irish guy with a Guzzi Mille combo from the classic era, bit of a rat bike, piece of stiff wire looped over the front brake lever for a handbrake. He said for sale for 10 grand, but I wasn't too interested - an interesting outfit but needed a good bit of TLC to make nice. The bicycle bell on the handlebar (for pedestrians, sheep, etc) was a nice touch, he had a real blaster for a main horn.

Actually on the lookout for a jet helmet, but cannot seem to find one that fits my shape of head!

ps. On KTM servicing you could give Blade KTM Oxford (which is also Triumph Oxford now) a try, they seem friendly enough on sales and parts, no idea about servicing though.
Last Edit: 07 June, 2021, 05:40:04 PM by Paullie

Offline seangee

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Topic Author
Reply #8 on: 07 June, 2021, 07:09:41 PM
*Originally Posted by Paullie [+]
ps. On KTM servicing you could give Blade KTM Oxford (which is also Triumph Oxford now) a try, they seem friendly enough on sales and parts, no idea about servicing though.
Has that been re-branded / sold as Premier bikes? Premier KTM (Abingdon) and Premier Triumph (Oxford) are actually in the same building. Its where I bought my bike. I did go over to have a look at the new Tiger 900s and Sport but could not convince myself to ask for a test ride  :015:. They seem like a nice enough bunch in there, but of course they were dealing with a sales prospect rather than an owner. To be fair I have had a couple of follow up calls to check if everything is OK and I am happy with the bike - which my local Triumph dealer has never done even though I have bought 2 bikes from them.

FWIW I took the Tiger out with this bunch of reprobates on Sunday.

Been a very long time since most of us rode together so turned into an extremely <coff> progressive 200 mile day  :007:. Can't say I felt outclassed by anyone there. Of course I could not out muscle the multi or XR on the straights but it was fun trying to make it up on the twisty bits. There was also a GTL with us but best not to talk about car engines plonked on 2 wheels. Definitely not an all rounder and he declined to bring it into the car park and used the pavement outside when we went in for lunch.

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
  • City / Town: Back in Blighty
Reply #9 on: 07 June, 2021, 08:45:55 PM
*Originally Posted by seangee [+]
Has that been re-branded / sold as Premier bikes? Premier KTM (Abingdon) and Premier Triumph (Oxford) are actually in the same building. Its where I bought my bike. I did go over to have a look at the new Tiger 900s and Sport but could not convince myself to ask for a test ride
Sorry, that's the place I  mean.

*Originally Posted by seangee [+]
There was also a GTL with us but best not to talk about car engines plonked on 2 wheels. Definitely not an all rounder and he declined to bring it into the car park and used the pavement outside when we went in for lunch.
Weighs an absolute ton!  :015:

reconstruction