Author Topic: Knee Replacement Surgery  (Read 897 times)

Offline Kev51

• Tiger Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike/Model: 2018 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Sydney
Knee Replacement Surgery
on: 27 May, 2021, 11:54:06 AM
Wondering if any other members have been through a knee replacement surgery and if they had confidence issues getting back on the TS, with the top heavy weight of our bike with a full tank.
Have been told to wait 6 months to get back in the saddle (3 months to go). He jokingly suggested I should wait 10 years before resuming (or maybe he wasn't joking).
Was looking at wearing a knee brace that motocross riders wear mainly towards giving more lateral support, which is where I feel vulnerable.
Appreciate any advice.
Regards
Kev

Online Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
Re: Knee Replacement Surgery
Reply #1 on: 27 May, 2021, 05:41:53 PM
Not yet. Highside 2010 split Tibia plateau in two. Two days after op, x-ray bad, told need knee replacement, packed off from Scotland & referred to local hospital. Local surgeon did micro surgery to blend the misaligned halves. Not been too bad since but over lockdown lack of activity it's playing up, lowering footpegs helped. Maybe a good surgeon can help you put off the knee replacement for a few more years.

A friend had her knee replacement some 15+ years ago, since then she has owned; HD1200, BMW650, Stripple, currently Kawa 500 & another Stripple. Her false knee is a tad loose now, she's 65'ish & 5'-2", recently had brain aneurysm & lung cancer. An inspiration to me, hoping to meet up at camping rallies later in year.

Good luck with the knee.
Also: '16 Tiger 800, '95 Yamaha Serow, '58 Ariel FH.

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
  • City / Town: Back in Blighty
Reply #2 on: 28 May, 2021, 12:04:20 PM
Can't speak for myself, only for my father, who was an avid sportsman. He actually wore out his replacement knee, but it took a good 30 years. The thing he understood was that it was important to take it as easy as possible on the joint in the months after such an op, since the longer the time it had to bed in to your bone structure then the longer it would last and be problem free. (BTW he was playing golf until 93).

Offline millsy1

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2010 Tiger
  • City / Town: Connecticut
Reply #3 on: 28 May, 2021, 03:24:53 PM
Had shoulder replacement 5.5 months ago, definitely not ready to go riding yet. It is much better but I probably wont ride this season. I want to make sure it is really really strong before i jump back on the bike.

Online Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
Reply #4 on: 28 May, 2021, 05:22:03 PM
Just been chatting with a chum who was hobbling past, he's been on waiting list for knee replacement for 2 years, all those type of ops have been put on hold with the pandemic.
Also: '16 Tiger 800, '95 Yamaha Serow, '58 Ariel FH.

Offline Woodie

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050 2008
  • City / Town: Upper Bucklebury
Reply #5 on: 08 June, 2021, 08:19:07 PM
Pin though left Kneecap, Pins and collar on head of left femur, Pins in hip and a lifetime of breaking various bones.

I still don't find the Tiger too cumbersome, it's actually more balanced than My Sprint despite the height.

The only thing is to NOT skimp on the Physio-Terrorism, it's painful but worth it. not only does it promote muscle strength around the joint but it helps with mobility.
I would agree a good knee brace will help. It did me at first when I was recovering. but unless you intend on off-roading the beastie lateral stresses shouldn't be in play.

I never touched it, you can't blame me, it went off when I was cleaning it.

Offline Callamity

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: TS 2018
  • City / Town: Edinburgh
Reply #6 on: 03 July, 2021, 07:23:40 PM
Yup.  I had TKR done both sides age 55 before I returned to biking (30+ army years took their toll) I don’t think the knees ever featured as much of an issue except that reduced flex (itself a product of tightened tendons from slow decay in the original knee) tended to cause cramp if the basic ergonomics and seating position were too tight. 

I’m 6’1’ with 33” inseam and the TS is a better fit for me than the 865 T100 I returned to biking on.  Confidence has never been an issue on the TS and the idea it is somehow top heavy never bothered me.  It is just a feature of the design but does not remotely overload my knees in any way. 

It’s now 10 yrs since I was ‘done’ but I do remember it took maybe 6-9 months to get optimal function out of each knee and doing the flex exercises and rebuilding lost muscle tone is both good for you long term and to support the prosthetic knee.  That in turn builds confidence in anything physical and, frankly, I barely think about them now and certainly not as an inhibition to riding.  Walking down steep hills somewhat……So, keep up with the exercises but, all things being equal, bionic knees and the TS are good friends.  My neoprene knee braces were only ever worn pre op! 

reconstruction