Author Topic: New to forum and posting  (Read 843 times)

Offline Wimby

• Tiger Newbie
  • Topic Author
  • Bike/Model: 2007 Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: St Paul
New to forum and posting
on: 26 May, 2021, 01:07:28 PM
Hello. Wimby here. Picking up a 2007 1050 today with only 7k mikes. Any maintenance required other than new oil/ filter and chain clean adjust?

Has added lights and the only issue is horn does not work- welcome ideas on how to fix

Offline varnerju

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2008 1050 ABS
  • City / Town: Holland, MI
Re: New to forum and posting
Reply #1 on: 26 May, 2021, 02:54:52 PM
 :405:

Nice to see a member from an area I'm somewhat familiar with. Although, I haven't been to MSP other than the airport technically, but the midwest is my stomping grounds.

Anything to do besides the oil and coolant change? Check out the maintenance stickys, something like "you bought a new tiger, what to do NOW". Would have saved me some headaches.

And new to forums? Well, we love photos, so when you pick it up, be sure to post a few for us to marvel at. (Gotta make a separate picture vault login if I remember correctly, or host elsewhere)

Cheers!  :031:

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
Reply #2 on: 26 May, 2021, 03:26:27 PM
Ayup Wimby  :401: to the forum  :031:

I've never been over the pond so any pics of out & about on your bike are most welcome.
Also: '16 Tiger 800, '95 Yamaha Serow, '58 Ariel FH.

Offline tiggersteve

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 1050,1290,now bikeless
  • City / Town: doddington cambs
Reply #3 on: 26 May, 2021, 06:50:32 PM

check all fluids, colour of brake fluid if no History could probably do with a change,
only 7k but calipers could do with a look at that age some go thru pads at around that mileage depending  :007:
Sump bolts are prone to coming loose,
tyres could be pretty old,
chain should be on the slack side 40-45mm

As above we all like pics,

:031:

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
  • City / Town: Back in Blighty
Reply #4 on: 27 May, 2021, 10:30:32 AM
 :401:  Enjoy! Thorough going-over of the bike with a fine-tooth comb is always good - often easy to do while cleaning.  :028:  And as said already, keep the chain on the loose side. Also if it doesn't have auxiliary lights already, consider fitting.

Offline Tigermike

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2019 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Banbury
Reply #5 on: 27 May, 2021, 10:47:27 AM
 :405: Wimby,
as others have said check out the stickies, loads of useful info in there  :028:
and send us a photo or 2 of your new ride, we love photos on here especially with some local scenery in the background.. well i do anyway ...  :164:
heres a virtual pint for you.. :031:
Yam RD125 DX, Kwak GPZ305, Honda CB400T, 1983 Kwak GT550, Suzuki GSF650 Bandit, Tiger 1050SE, 2019 Tiger Sport .... got there in the end.

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
Reply #6 on: 28 May, 2021, 12:21:31 PM
On the horn issue, the way the wiring on these bikes goes, there's a permanent +12V live on one side of the horn when the ignition is on. The horn button connects an earth to the other terminal, thus blowing off  :002:

Check you have that +12V on one side of the horn when the ignition is on. If that's there, then you probably want to look at the horn button, which could well be corroded inside and could benefit from judicious application of WD40 inside.

Might be worth first checking the horn itself is OK, by connecting separate cables to an external battery (disconnect the bike connectors first). But my money would be on the horn button. Good luck!

Offline Wimby

• Tiger Newbie
  • Topic Author
  • Bike/Model: 2007 Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: St Paul
Reply #7 on: 28 May, 2021, 08:09:31 PM
thank you all for the welcome 

update

- horn worked once, so going to clean contacts
- rt fork seal slight leak, so getting them redone
- stock lights do suck and extra lights too bright for oncoming traffic  will look in electrical section for suggestions

will post a picture when i get a chance

cheers- wimby

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
Reply #8 on: 28 May, 2021, 09:17:31 PM
*Originally Posted by Wimby [+]
- stock lights do suck and extra lights too bright for oncoming traffic  will look in electrical section for suggestions

If your budget will run to it, and you have wiring skills, then the Tiger Sport headlamp is the best solution. Failing that, what I did was fit very small 1w LED lights to the front on an aux-light bar. They don't light up the road, but they certainly help other people see you! Or get full aux lights and point them well down.

Offline Grouchybastard

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2010 Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: Buckheaven Orygun
Reply #9 on: 28 May, 2021, 11:36:14 PM
*Originally Posted by Wimby [+]
thank you all for the welcome 

-
-

cheers- wimby

FWIW I fitted aux lights from Cyclops.  They are dimmable, and you can adjust the amount of brightness on the low beam side. Mine are set at 40% on low.  No one has flashed me yet, though I do have them aimed a little down and to the sides of the road. On high beam they turn night into day.  :028:

But as Paullie says, the best cure is Sport light conversion.   You're only limited by your budget.
Good luck with it.   :031: