Author Topic: Bike turns over, has spark, has fuel, won't start  (Read 5091 times)

Offline Boris

• Tiger Member
  • Topic Author
  • City / Town: NJ
Any ideas what to check next?

I recently had the bike sit for about a month up until last weekend. The battery was not in very good shape, and I had some frustrating issues with getting the bike to turn over. It did seem to spark a couple times, but not quite enough to start it.

I ordered a new battery and tried to put it in today, but I was still not able to start the bike. It turns over really reliably now, and quickly, and based on prior experience with the 1050, I expected it to start.

The bike has been ridden at least once a month, including a small trip in April.
2007, with 55000 miles.

Anything I can check with TuneECU?
I couldn't fit my leak down adapter, it didn't reach the threads. Trying to order another deeper one that will fit. Anyone know a specific brand that would fit?

Any ideas about anything else I can check now?

Key facts:
* bike turns over well, and I'll run the starter for up to 15 seconds with the new battery, but it won't ignite
* All fuses are fine, three relays by the battery are fine
* Has spark on at least cylinder 1, haven't checked each cylinder, I would think at least one would ignite?
* Smell fuel after some cranking
* air filter still looks good
* couldn't get it with starter fluid in the intakes

Did a bunch of work when I first picked up the bike last year. Rode it about 4000 miles since then. Work that was relevant to ignition:
* sent fuel injectors out for cleaning
* new CR8EK spark plugs
* all electrical connections cleaned and greased
* all new vacuum lines
* new air filter
* valve adjustment

Any help or ideas greatly appreciated

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
Re: Bike turns over, has spark, has fuel, won't start
Reply #1 on: 11 May, 2021, 06:05:27 AM
Start with basics. Dirty fuel/water in tank? Battery fault, what make/model, fully charged, showing what voltage static & when turning over? A deep clean not dried out?

Hope it's nothing more serious, tight valves can cause no-start but you've covered that. You talk of leak down test, you thinking piston ring lands? Compression test figures?
Also: '16 Tiger 800, '95 Yamaha Serow, '58 Ariel FH.

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
  • City / Town: Back in Blighty
Reply #2 on: 11 May, 2021, 10:39:04 AM
Agree with P2B that probably something obvious. i would suspect electrical rather than fuel, as even with dirty fuel you should get some stuttering at least. Are you sure / have you checked the ignition kill switch (I've done that), clutch switch and sidestand switch?

When you switch on, what lights/noises do you get? All the panel lights light up? Do you hear the stepper motor whirring away?

Offline Sidewinder

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2007 Tiger 1050 Yellow
  • City / Town: Sheffield
Reply #3 on: 11 May, 2021, 11:18:39 AM
It's cranking so can't be the interlocks or kill switch.

Did you charge the battery before using it? (you should do).

Tried just cracking the throttle open, see if it does anything?

Offline varnerju

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2008 1050 ABS
  • City / Town: Holland, MI
Reply #4 on: 11 May, 2021, 01:01:17 PM
*Originally Posted by Boris [+]
I couldn't fit my leak down adapter, it didn't reach the threads. Trying to order another deeper one that will fit. Anyone know a specific brand that would fit?

I borrowed a compression tester kit. It was a craftsman, and the threads wouldn't reach either. I remember having to take the fitting to the lathe and necking down the collar just above the threads just a few thou (cleared with owner first of course).

As a 2007 with many miles before you got it, likely that the previous owner didn't get the tune update. And if bad/cheap gas used during that time... Probably damaged pistons.

My 2008 back with 40K miles had poor compression that I checked one winter. Tore into it and found the cracked ring lan. Read about my experience over here

Offline Boris

• Tiger Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #5 on: 11 May, 2021, 02:29:37 PM
Thanks for the replies all!

*Originally Posted by Paul2bikes [+]
Start with basics. Dirty fuel/water in tank? Battery fault, what make/model, fully charged, showing what voltage static & when turning over? A deep clean not dried out?

Hope it's nothing more serious, tight valves can cause no-start but you've covered that. You talk of leak down test, you thinking piston ring lands? Compression test figures?

I can try changing the fuel. I just have to figure out how to get the fuel out of the tank.
Battery is a brand new Yuasa YTZ14S, and I did charge it up overnight before installing it.  I will check the voltage.

Yes, worried about the piston rings, because the bike has used more oil than my last one. Pushes it up through the airbox. It's been starting and riding, though, so I was hoping to hold off on that. I am about to start rebuilding a different engine, and I don't have any experience with the process, so I expect it to take a long time.

I did rinse the bike after the April trip, but I would hardly call it a deep clean. It's gotten plenty of time to dry as well.

*Originally Posted by Paullie [+]
Agree with P2B that probably something obvious. i would suspect electrical rather than fuel, as even with dirty fuel you should get some stuttering at least. Are you sure / have you checked the ignition kill switch (I've done that), clutch switch and sidestand switch?

When you switch on, what lights/noises do you get? All the panel lights light up? Do you hear the stepper motor whirring away?

As someone mentioned, all the interlocks would prevent it from cranking.

When I turn the key I hear that I thought was the fuel pump whirring, and all the usual lights light up. Everything sounds normal (had the same bike for 30000 miles before getting this one).

*Originally Posted by Sidewinder [+]
It's cranking so can't be the interlocks or kill switch.

Did you charge the battery before using it? (you should do).

Tried just cracking the throttle open, see if it does anything?

Battery charged.

I did try cracking the throttle. That did get it to stutter before (on the old battery last week). It made no difference with the current battery. Don't think I'm supposed to do that with this fuel injection system, anyway, but yeah.

*Originally Posted by varnerju [+]
I borrowed a compression tester kit. It was a craftsman, and the threads wouldn't reach either. I remember having to take the fitting to the lathe and necking down the collar just above the threads just a few thou (cleared with owner first of course).

As a 2007 with many miles before you got it, likely that the previous owner didn't get the tune update. And if bad/cheap gas used during that time... Probably damaged pistons.

My 2008 back with 40K miles had poor compression that I checked one winter. Tore into it and found the cracked ring lan. Read about my experience over here

Will check out your thread.

The previous owner did put tune 20548 in, which I'm pretty sure is the correct one. However, the bike had been around for 40k miles before he got it, so it might be too late.

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
  • City / Town: Back in Blighty
Reply #6 on: 11 May, 2021, 03:42:25 PM
Just a thought, you haven't got anything nesting inside the tailpipe?

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
Reply #7 on: 11 May, 2021, 04:53:19 PM
Had similar no-start on ST955 some years ago, after 3k mile euro tour, spent 3 hours cleaning, then put away without starting to dry it off, got out 2 weeks later, wouldn't start, flattened battery, charged up overnight then wound away a few more times, fired up fine, must've got damp somewhere. Always fire up after cleaning now.

Also, no-start on 900 Sprint at a rally, bunch of fault finders, one boy said put side-stand up, started straight off. Turned out to be an inline relay. Checked diagram for T1050, no relay from side-stand on our model, just goes to earth & ecu.

Good luck with it, hope it's sumert simple & not the dreaded ring lands.
Also: '16 Tiger 800, '95 Yamaha Serow, '58 Ariel FH.

Online seangee

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 16 Sport, '21 1290SAS
  • City / Town: Bracknell
Reply #8 on: 11 May, 2021, 06:49:50 PM
Maybe too obvious. If you park on the centre stand pop it onto the side stand over night. Had that happen once, parked up after a wash and it wouldn't start. Obviously water pooled up somewhere because after a day on the sidestand it started up fine.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Offline Boris

• Tiger Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #9 on: 12 May, 2021, 03:22:38 AM
I'll try leaving it on the sidestand overnight. I do keep it on the center stand in the garage.

I don't remember if I rode after cleaning, or before cleaning  :084:
I had ridden to the climbing gym after getting back from the trip. I might have washed it after that.

Might not have a chance to mess with it until Thursday.

reconstruction