Author Topic: Colour arriving in my garage soon  (Read 1467 times)

Online seangee

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Topic Author
  • Bike/Model: 16 Sport, '21 1290SAS
  • City / Town: Bracknell
Colour arriving in my garage soon
on: 08 May, 2021, 11:34:00 PM
Let slip on another thread that the little Tiger is getting a friend soon and I will no longer have an exclusively monochrome stable.
Popped in to Abingdon today for the long awaited test ride on the 2021 1290S. Phoned back just before closing time and paid my deposit. In the flesh the orange looks much nicer than the black - and yes the test bike in the background really did look brown. Pointed it out to the sales bloke and he agreed, we then compared it to one of the stock bikes which actually did look black  :187: Pick it up in 2 weeks, unlike the 4 months I had to wait for the Tiger.

First impressions? Keyless ignition AND fuel filler is nice. You have to press the fob to activate the system, so no danger of some scrote riding off on it because you left the keys too close to the bike. First impression of the seat was that it's rock hard, but I did not feel uncomfortable after an hour. I have ordered the ergo 1 piece seat anyway as it apparently wider so gives you more leg room. With my 33" inseam I was able to flat foot it comfortably in the high position, so I may have the stock seat raised to give me a better knee angle. All the angles felt similar to the TS but my feet seemed a little closer to the seat (I do have a raised seat and lower pegs though). Loads of switches on the bars. I did not try to master all the menus and just set everything on road mode before I went off. On the fly preload adjustment is also cool, although I did not try adjusting on the move. Mirrors are really good and no vibes at any speed I tried. Indicators are a bit weird because you can't feel them engaging so in the beginning I had to look at the screen to make sure I had actually turned them on.

OK its a twin and you can tell. Its very refined but the vibe is there. Not enough to be intrusive or annoying but I did notice how smooth the Tiger was on the way home. Tyres seem OK. I was a bit nervous after the first slide until I remembered that I can't make the back wheel spin on the Tiger by rolling on from 50mph in 4th gear, not even on a mucky day like today  :745: So yes it is a torque monster and 160hp is a very obvious leap up from the Tiger. But ride it sensibly and you need never know. And it is easy to ride sensibly, but also dead easy to break into hooligan mode. Fueling is perfect and the delivery is very refined. Kick it hard enough and the electronics won't stop your wheel spinning, or lifting, depending on the conditions - I was in road mode. Test bike was standard (no QS) and I didn't notice anything good or bad about the clutch or shifting. Handling was very good, especially considering that the salesman adjusted it on a best guess just before I set off. The weight and bulk disappeared once I started moving and it felt like I was on a 150kg bike. At low speed I never even had to think before I did a U-turn on a B road and when I pulled into an empty parking lot I had it on full lock by the time I did my second figure of 8. Brakes are really good. Dead easy to ride because it just does what you ask of it and while you are on B roads most of the time it doesn't really matter what gear you are in.

Then onto the A38 for a ride up and down at motorway speeds. I had the screen in the high position and at speed it was slightly noisier than my bike (which still has its winter Puig screen and deflector on) and no turbulence at any speed. I did not get much spray on my face, important for those winter months when the spray is full of salt. I also took it down a muddy path. It was fine but TBH they were not the right tyres for the conditions so I took it very cautiously. I never rode the previous model so can't compare but it never felt top heavy at any stage with the new fuel tanks. Oh and the suspenders and forks are quite superb. One of the reasons why premium bikes cost more than the slightly more budget models.

So is it a replacement for the TS? In a word no. Its a completely different bike. I have decided to keep the TS because with 40k on the clock its worth a lot more to me than I could flog it for. Before the ride I was a little concerned that I would end up with 2 similar bikes, although one would have a lot more gadgetry and power, but that won't be the case at all. I mentioned before that I was thinking of getting a mid sized bike to leave down in Devon, well both of these are just fine for bimbling around country lanes and turn into effortless mile munchers once you hit the motorway. But I do think I would be happy with either one as an only bike. I decided not to try the adaptive cruise control on my first ride in the rain so no comments on that. At the end of the day I think I would feel let down if I swapped the TS for a GS800, Tiger 800, XT or something similar for the country life so will keep them both. It will be interesting to see how I decide which one to ride on a given day  :084:

Finally value for money. I checked the price of a new bog standard GS and at first glance that appeared cheaper. Then I added all the options that come standard on the KTM, including a whopping 1100 for a centre stand (apparently they can't fit one to a plain white bike so you have to upgrade the colour to have the stand :005:). I added the QS to both bikes and suddenly the KTM was 4K cheaper than the Beamer. The Tiger 1200XRt needed less customisation but still came out at 2K more. Ducati site is too slow so no idea on the Multistrada.

No pics while I was out because I wasn't taking my gloves off in the rain. I did try out the little cubby hole in front of the fuel filler as I managed to get lost trying to get back to the dealer without satnav - so I left the lid open and stuck my phone in there where I could see google maps - nice feature but its not actually big enough to close with an iPhone 11 inside. But useful for storing the key and a wallet.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Offline ZuluTiger

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: Suwanee
Re: Colour arriving in my garage soon
Reply #1 on: 09 May, 2021, 02:22:34 AM
Nice! The 1190 Adv I owned for 5 years was a fantastic bike but the service from the designated KTM dealers was sub-par. That was the only reason I passed it on. It was a true do-all bike and I loved it.

Offline Timbox

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Helga
  • City / Town: Newport
Reply #2 on: 09 May, 2021, 06:06:57 AM
And here is me deciding to give up my 1290 SAS for a Guzzi :008:

Ive not ridden the new one, most say it feels smoother but its still all about the engine. Keep an eye out for oil leaks, they arent bad but a lot suffer from weeping around the wiring plugs going into the stator cover, mine was fixed early on but Ive noticed recently its doing it again, and you'll wince at the price of the Motorex oil for these things. You did order with the Q/S yes? Mines good, I hear the new one is even better. Mine only really loosened up around 10k miles and even now in Sport mode its positively breath taking, and licence taking if your not careful, mine didnt like top gear until 80 with standard gearing, again I hear the new one is more tractable. Oh and get used to Kids giving you the thumbs up :001:

Enjoy
Ex Sport owner now on KTM 1290 SAS

Online seangee

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Topic Author
Reply #3 on: 09 May, 2021, 08:44:11 PM
Timely reminder. Had a suitably socially distanced day out with the RoSPA lads today. Horribly outnumbered with 4 GSs, 1 HD and my Tiger. Bloke with a brand new GS750 managed to drop it - and he only fitted his crash bars yesterday so no harm done. One of the much more experienced riders mentioned he dropped his GSA last week.

Maybe I should add a set of bars to the order  :191:
Last Edit: 09 May, 2021, 09:33:18 PM by seangee

Offline Puccio

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport 2016
  • City / Town: Cingoli
Reply #4 on: 09 May, 2021, 10:26:00 PM
Hopefully Sean, with the Tiger still into the garage, you'll not find yourself riding a Guzzi after a year or two  :008:

Online seangee

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Topic Author
Reply #5 on: 09 May, 2021, 11:09:59 PM
*Originally Posted by Puccio [+]
Hopefully Sean, with the Tiger still into the garage, you'll not find yourself riding a Guzzi after a year or two  :008:
I doubt that will happen but never say never. More worrying is my recent trend of dropping a cylinder every 8 years or so. Switched to triples in '13 and now a twin. Hope that won't put me back onto a thumper as my only bike any time soon  :745:

Offline Yellow Dog

• Tiger Supporter
  • Supreme Tiger
  • Bike/Model: 2018 Tiger 1050 Sport
  • City / Town: Quainton
Reply #6 on: 10 May, 2021, 09:50:23 AM
Congrats Sean.

Looks like more fun than my system is able to enjoy  :031:
2018 TIGER 1050 SPORT - 40,000Km with zero tyre wear & zero engine or chain wear (c8

Online Mike_B

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Tonbridge
Reply #7 on: 15 May, 2021, 10:11:24 AM
*Originally Posted by seangee [+]
I doubt that will happen but never say never. More worrying is my recent trend of dropping a cylinder every 8 years or so. Switched to triples in '13 and now a twin. Hope that won't put me back onto a thumper as my only bike any time soon  :745:

And after that thumper - zero cylinders and electric!!!    :008:

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
Reply #8 on: 15 May, 2021, 11:16:35 AM
Best choice of the 4 you mention & better looking than the GS or Tiger12. Good tall screen, that standard?

Good plan to keep the TS as standby for when the KTM is waiting parts at dealer.  :164:
Also: '16 Tiger 800, '95 Yamaha Serow, '58 Ariel FH.

Online seangee

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Topic Author
Reply #9 on: 15 May, 2021, 08:01:48 PM
Pic is bog standard bike with nothing added or taken away. That's the high position and IIRC you can drop it up to 4" using the thumbwheel you can see, there is one on either side. Pretty much the only thing that's manual on the bike but it works well and easy enough to do on the move with either hand. 300 miles planned next weekend so it will get tried in all positions and I'll carry the Puig deflector in my bag for just in case. I quite fancy the look of the short screen for summer - the screen off the SAR is a straight swap. Who knows, maybe I can even get to use my shiny, nearly new, GT Airs again.

Maybe a bit far to use as a spare. In Devon at the moment and just managed to find a secure place to park the Tiger so it can live down here for part of the year.

reconstruction