Author Topic: Greetings from Worcestershire  (Read 1358 times)

Offline RichyB

• Tiger Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike/Model: 2020 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: Droitwich
Greetings from Worcestershire
on: 04 May, 2021, 08:51:04 PM
Hello to all to read this! Brief history: Been on Triumphs apart from brief dalliances with a Yam 1000 Fazer and and a BMW GS for almost thirty years. Original Sprint (big old charismatic lump) sold with 60k miles on for a 955I Sprint. Nice bike, paint finish not great, started burning oil at about 55k miles - had to go. (Cue Yam). New ST1050 in 2005. Loved it. still miss it. Sold at 75k miles with next to no issues and never used a drop of oil between services. Well, only a bit. Unfortunately, not a good two up bike. At one point, also had a GS and this was/is a good two up bike. But not a Triumph and rubbish at filtering through traffic. So, bought a 09 Tiger 1050 in 2012. Not as good as GS two up but better than a ST1050. Now about to chop it for a .... 2020 Tiger Sport in Storm Grey. My beloved Tiger SE I have had for 9 years and has just cracked 70k miles. Still looks very tidy apart from a spot of flakey paint on one or two engine casings. Will really miss it.
So, what went wrong with the Tiger? Naff all really. But - the clocks suffered the dreaded water ingress issue and haven't worked completely for three or four years - not that bothered. But it was an issue that shouldn't have arisen. Just had to have the alternator and the regulator/rectifier replaced, but I half expected that as the rectifier/regulator on the Sprint went after about 60k miles as well. The clutch plates could do with changing - getting a bit sticky occasionally, other times it snicks sweetly between gears. I had the off-road pipe, airbox and tune when I bought it. I never have to top up the oil between services (usually change the oil every 4000). It has seen me to Rome and back and most places in between as well as daily commutes. Generally though it has been reliable and responds to care and attention. Luckily I like to pamper it.. The biggest issue for me though has been seat height. At 5' 7", it has been an effort sometimes to keep it upright. I am hoping that the new Tiger is slightly easier to reach the floor - it seems to be.. I will be paying careful attention to suspension settings. May have to acquire a low seat (none available apparently) or buy a spare standard seat and modify it (cut out foam...).
So - from all that experience out there, what are the 'common problems' that arise with this model? What is the 'water in the clocks' design fault? I'd like to think that as the last of the line, Triumph had ironed all these little things out..
Am having heated grips, centre stand fitted, will fit fender extender, will probably acquire a Givi SR6404 top box rack, like the look of the LEDPerf LED indicators... smart!
Looking forward to the gossip!  :001:

Online tiggersteve

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 1050,1290,now bikeless
  • City / Town: doddington cambs
Re: Greetings from Worcestershire
Reply #1 on: 04 May, 2021, 09:47:53 PM
 :405:

Well quite an intro, no questions need asking  :008:
my '08 Tiger has long gone and can't comment on the 2020 but not heard any alarm bells,
should be pretty sound being the end of the line,
looking forward to some ride reports with pics (when we can) as you clearly like to get about

:031:

Online seangee

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 16 Sport, '21 1290SAS
  • City / Town: Bracknell
Reply #2 on: 04 May, 2021, 11:23:29 PM
 :401:
Good choice. My 16 clocked up 36k in 3 years and never missed a beat. And only 2k in the last year :004: No oil between services. Obvious add-ons are fender extender, rad guard and hugger. Right hand mirror can get a bit shaky at speed, I swapped mine for Aprilia mirrors at 1/3rd the Triumph price and that cured it and the view is just as good.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Online mustangpilot

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2020 Tiger Sport
Reply #3 on: 05 May, 2021, 10:06:09 AM
 :401: I am on my second last generation Tiger Sport. Both lowered 25mm. Micks lowering plates on my 2017 TS. I used Lust Racing lowering plates on my 2020 TS but they started to show rust after 6 months. Mick stopped selling the plates himself but they are still available at squaredeals https://www.squaredeals-ltd.co.uk/tiger-1050-forks-suspension--handling-526-c.asp

Triumph centerstand/engine guards/heated grips, GIVI PLR6404 side rack/DLM36 panniers, SR6404 top rack with M9B plate, WL901/DLM30/V47N/TRK52B topcases, ST603/602 tanklock tankbags, EVOTECH radiator&oilcooler guards, Pyramid ExtendaFenda/hugger extension, Puig touring Screen & spoiler, Zumo 396 with Zumolock holder on RAM mount, Osco chainoiler, SWMotech sidestand extension, CNC shorty clutch/ brake levers, SCPROJECT SC1-R can, Micks 25mm lowering plates, KOSO Mini3 volt/temp/time & LED blinkers

Offline RichyB

• Tiger Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #4 on: 05 May, 2021, 10:58:57 AM
I have tended to be wary of the lowering thing, mostly because of what I perceive will be subsequent 'difficulties' with the centre stand and sidestand. How much difference does lowering actually make to these? And, with a pillion and luggage, is rear wheel clearance affected at all? Presumably no issues at the front once the forks are dropped? I suspect however that I will live with things as they are for a while to see how I get on..

Online Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
Reply #5 on: 05 May, 2021, 04:59:09 PM
Ayup RichyB  :401: tut forum  :031:

I lowered mine 25mm back & 18mm front, no probs with sidestand, the centrestand needs a pull but this old fart can do it. I run front wheel up a plank at home, make it easier.

I had all 3 models of Sprint also, the 955 was favourite for me. Knees & hips need more leg room now. Even lowered the pegs on the TS for comfort, should have done years ago.
Also: '16 Tiger 800, '95 Yamaha Serow, '58 Ariel FH.

Offline RichyB

• Tiger Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #6 on: 05 May, 2021, 07:28:54 PM
Thanks for the advice. I will see how I get on with the new one first, when I get it,before fitting the lowering plates...  I too use the 'wooden block on the floor' trick at home for the centrestand - makes it so much easier!

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
  • City / Town: Back in Blighty
Reply #7 on: 07 May, 2021, 10:57:27 AM
I had 25 mm lowering plates on my first Tiger, a 2009 T1050, and it was fine, also lowered at the front. I didn't bother with the current Sport, as it's just a tad easier to get to the ground.

You'll probably want to think about screen additions or alternatives - the MRA flip screen on top of the standard is a good start. I'd recommend the smaller universal one, the X-Creen, to go on with. Mine's been on since i bought it, and i never changed it. It is noisy, but turbulence not too bad.

Offline RichyB

• Tiger Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #8 on: 07 May, 2021, 10:15:43 PM
Screens are an interesting debate. On my current ( but not for much longer) 1050SE, I have the standard screen, which i rarely use as it is so noisy, an MRA screen for Winter and longer touring runs and a cut down screen for Summer. It is surprising how effective the shorter screen is but it is a bit more work at motorway speeds but doesnt deflect air straight at my helmet like the standard screen, resulting in noise. I will be interested to see if I can make these screens fit the new Sport. If not, they will be up on Ebay.. Not being a 'big lad' maybe the Tiger Sport adjustable screen will be all I need...

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
  • City / Town: Back in Blighty
Reply #9 on: 07 May, 2021, 10:22:00 PM
*Originally Posted by RichyB [+]
Screens are an interesting debate. On my current ( but not for much longer) 1050SE, I have the standard screen, which i rarely use as it is so noisy, an MRA screen for Winter and longer touring runs and a cut down screen for Summer. It is surprising how effective the shorter screen is but it is a bit more work at motorway speeds but doesnt deflect air straight at my helmet like the standard screen, resulting in noise. I will be interested to see if I can make these screens fit the new Sport. If not, they will be up on Ebay.. Not being a 'big lad' maybe the Tiger Sport adjustable screen will be all I need...
They won't, unfortunately. Which is why I suggested the MRA Xcreen as an add-on. But maybe the standard screen will be enough, as you say.