Author Topic: New-ish 2012?  (Read 2328 times)

Offline varnerju

• Tiger Master
  • Topic Author
  • Bike/Model: 2008 1050 ABS
  • City / Town: Holland, MI
New-ish 2012?
on: 04 May, 2021, 02:26:49 PM
My 2008 with 80K miles has been great for me. I know others have done plenty more than 80K miles, and maybe I'm over-reacting to the couple of problems I have had recently, but I have had a search on Cycle Trader for a while now and up pops a 2012 SE with less than 10K miles for less than $8k. Looking at other options, many more miles, and around the same price or even pricier.

One hurdle is that it is ~2k miles away, but a good excuse for a fly and drive and I happen to have excess vacation time so.... You enablers, do your thing!

But actually, what should I be concerned about? With 2007/8 there was the piston thing. And now I'm finding a sprag clutch thing.... Did they fix the sprag for the 2012 year? One thing I know they didn't fix is the lighting, and this seems to be fully stock lighting, so that might make a cross country trip more exciting than I would like, but I could bring my aux lights along and be OK for a short trip.

I'm looking for guidance as to what to ask about specifically, and if there is something about the 2012 model that I didn't pick up from browsing this forum over the years.

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
  • City / Town: Back in Blighty
Re: New-ish 2012?
Reply #1 on: 04 May, 2021, 03:59:30 PM
AFAIK the front springing was strengthened by 2012, as well as the tune issue fixed. Also a two-button dash (rather than 3) I believe, and of course (you'll know this) black forks and front hubs rather than gold. Not sure if the wheels were also black (rather than silver) by then.

The notorious loose sump bolts issue was also fixed I think (if not, then certainly a year later by 2013 and the first TS). And I think Triumph got better about cleaning out the cooling system after manufacture.

if it's the SE model then ABS will be standard, and you may well like the matt black and grey colour scheme if one of those (that was my first Tiger). Other than that I don't think there was too much difference (if I'm wrong, others will correct me shortly  :015: ). You'll still want to think about the upgraded battery, and all sorts of other mods ....
Last Edit: 04 May, 2021, 04:01:28 PM by Paullie

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
Reply #2 on: 04 May, 2021, 04:29:12 PM
SE has same front calipers as TS....I believe.

Is that 8k euro = 7k in real money. Surely that'd could get a nice TS.
Also: '16 Tiger 800, '95 Yamaha Serow, '58 Ariel FH.

Online Timbox

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Helga
  • City / Town: Newport
Reply #3 on: 04 May, 2021, 05:32:16 PM
*Originally Posted by Paul2bikes [+]
SE has same front calipers as TS....I believe.

Is that 8k euro = 7k in real money. Surely that'd could get a nice TS.

Hes in the states mate, $8k  (Dollars),  Holland, MI.  Michigan :001:
Ex Sport owner now on KTM 1290 SAS

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
Reply #4 on: 04 May, 2021, 05:36:48 PM
*Originally Posted by Timbox [+]
Hes in the states mate, $8k  (Dollars),  Holland, MI.  Michigan :001:

:745: I just saw Holland. Not paying attention.
Also: '16 Tiger 800, '95 Yamaha Serow, '58 Ariel FH.

Offline tiggersteve

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 1050,1290,now bikeless
  • City / Town: doddington cambs
Reply #5 on: 04 May, 2021, 06:35:37 PM
2012-13 arguably the best of the breed, really shouldn't have any issues other than the usual easily checked stuff as mentioned above
Only real issue as you say is the lights but you don't get the twin headlight model so you have no choice on that front
 :028:
Last Edit: 04 May, 2021, 06:39:47 PM by tiggersteve

Offline varnerju

• Tiger Master
  • Topic Author
Reply #6 on: 04 May, 2021, 07:17:20 PM
Ha!  :008:

Holland, yeah. Us 'Mericans stole all our city/state names from you guys across the pond.

$8K US dollars, for the SE version, with an SC Project pipe. Though my stock 2008 pipe was just fine for me, I could enjoy more exhaust notes and shave some weight. Plus, if the lady doesn't like it, then it isn't my "fault"  :152:

From the photos I can see Mr T blacked out the forks and brakes, and YES the wheels! All good in my opinion. It looked to have a matte paint job in the photos, but I wasn't sure if that was just the lighting or what.  Not sure how I feel about that. I'm far from a polish and clean all the time kind of guy, but throwing some wax on makes sense to me as a protective step. Guess I'll have to do more reading on that.

Upgraded suspension sounds nice. I have been fine with my stock 2008, and haven't ever been a racer-guy, though I do enjoy some spirited adventures, so updated suspension would be welcomed!

I asked the seller about the tune for the pipe and if there were any airbox mods. He said "no airbox mods, and we let it idle until the fans kicked on to adjust the tune for the altitude"... So he did an "adaptation" but not a tune. That, along with some other things he said as a second owner make me wonder if he got the bike and didn't really put many miles on it. He also said the original owner did the dual headlight kit, so the lighting should be a little bit better than stock. He didn't say "twinlight driver" and since he didn't do it himself, what are the chances it is actually the sport headlight update? How would I know?

At any rate, a fly and ride is sounding pretty good!

Offline turtle

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2011 Tiger 1050 SE
  • City / Town: Central IL
Reply #7 on: 05 May, 2021, 12:05:16 AM
First off, if I was in your position with that vacation time, it'd be hard to keep me from it :). 

As stated, 2012 had slightly revised front suspension, 2 button dash (my 2011 has that). Not that much different from other years.  I am probably wrong but I thought all the 2012s in the states were red.  :027:

The light mod should be pretty easy to spot, with the original lights being the projectors and the Sport lights being something else. 

This vs. this.
Bill
2011 Tiger 1050 SE

Offline varnerju

• Tiger Master
  • Topic Author
Reply #8 on: 05 May, 2021, 02:30:10 PM
I had told myself I was going to do a search here, cause I know there is plenty about the Sport headlight upgrade. But while I have vacation time, I wasn't currently using it, so I had to get back to actual work. Thanks for bringing the info to me. I can tell in the photos that they are still projector types, so must just be the twinlight driver. Curious how much of a difference that makes. I had thought that was most helpful for preventing the "hey, you've got a headlight out" comment that I've been accustomed to getting often.

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
  • City / Town: Back in Blighty
Reply #9 on: 05 May, 2021, 02:54:52 PM
Frankly, if you can afford it, bite the bullet and get the Sport headlight somehow, either new or used. it'll mean some rewiring, but you get headlights that you can actually use at night! it was one of my main reasons for switching bike from the T1050 to the TS.