Author Topic: Top Box Rack/Kit  (Read 986 times)

Online tiggersteve

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 1050,1290,now bikeless
  • City / Town: doddington cambs
Re: Top Box Rack/Kit
Reply #10 on: 03 May, 2021, 09:58:44 PM
Just a comparison :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/202749744741?hash=item2f34d39665:g:HGYAAOSwwS1a-ATp

Personally I like the new expandable SHAD boxes

Offline SJ

• Tiger Newbie
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050
Reply #11 on: 07 May, 2021, 03:12:56 PM
First time posting on this forum, so apologies for any forum faux pas... Before purchasing the SW Motech Alu Rack you might want to read other forum posts, and my story below, about the rack's 7.5kg carrying capacity and examples of the rack/bolts breaking...

I have an '08 Tiger 1050 with original panniers to which I'd affixed the SW Motech Alu Rack, then I added a SW Motech adapter plate, and a 46L Kappa Top Box. The Top Box and plate add up to around 5kg, so this only leaves 2.5kg in carrying capacity; the Kappa box suggests a max 10kg capacity so a significant disparity, which is a little disappointing.

Notwithstanding, the rack and box looked the bees knees and seemed pretty solid, and was so for a good six months of daily commuting (50km round trip on smooth city roads around Canberra, Australia carrying only my lunch and Blundstone boots in the top box, so below the recommend weight rating). Then completely unexpectedly during one 25km ride home, three of the four bolts attaching the rack to the OEM grab rail failed: the bolt heads completely sheared-off and I was lucky not to lose the whole rack and box down the road. I contacted the supplier here in Australia to seek rectification of the failure of the rack, and they immediately suggested it was not a design/manufacturing fault, and in no uncertain terms suggested the fault was due to my use outside of design parameters. With that said they agreed to send me replacement bolts (M6 X 16) but suggested I try fitting M6 x 20 bolts. I've since found that M6 X 20 bolts will fit, and have ordered some high-strength Titanium bolts which when supplied might reduce the risk of future failure. I'm even contemplating adding some industrial screw-clamps to the rack to increase strength: they'll look ugly but might assuage any remaining fear of future failure.

Suffice to say, my confidence in the rack's performance has been shaken, and I am unlikely to use the Top Box for any touring duties. I will probably look at adding a soft roll-bag for long-distance touring, and will restrict use of the Top Box to the daily work-commute as the lockable top box has its advantages when parked in the city, and the slimmer profile of the bike without panniers makes lane filtering much easier; especially important when dealing with Canberran/Australian drivers who seem to like to deliberately squeeze-out riders who are legally lane filtering!

Others on this forum have suggested they've had no issues operating the rack at much higher weight ratings, so my comments represent my own experience only. But worth considering depending on your intended use of the rack.

Online tiggersteve

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 1050,1290,now bikeless
  • City / Town: doddington cambs
Reply #12 on: 07 May, 2021, 04:45:18 PM
fair comment,
I am one of those that has loaded the original rear rack with some serious weight an 80ltr Ortlieb rollbag full of camping kit with some big miles and never had a problem,
sounds to me as tho the bolts were too tight/low quality ???
The thread length would have no effect on the bolt heads shearing off,
best option would be high tensile steel shouldered bolts (and coppaslip)  :164:

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
  • City / Town: Back in Blighty
Reply #13 on: 07 May, 2021, 11:19:20 PM
*Originally Posted by SJ [+]
First time posting on this forum, so apologies for any forum faux pas... Before purchasing the SW Motech Alu Rack you might want to read other forum posts, and my story below, about the rack's 7.5kg carrying capacity and examples of the rack/bolts breaking...

I have an '08 Tiger 1050 with original panniers to which I'd affixed the SW Motech Alu Rack, then I added a SW Motech adapter plate, and a 46L Kappa Top Box. The Top Box and plate add up to around 5kg, so this only leaves 2.5kg in carrying capacity; the Kappa box suggests a max 10kg capacity so a significant disparity, which is a little disappointing.

Notwithstanding, the rack and box looked the bees knees and seemed pretty solid, and was so for a good six months of daily commuting (50km round trip on smooth city roads around Canberra, Australia carrying only my lunch and Blundstone boots in the top box, so below the recommend weight rating). Then completely unexpectedly during one 25km ride home, three of the four bolts attaching the rack to the OEM grab rail failed: the bolt heads completely sheared-off and I was lucky not to lose the whole rack and box down the road. I contacted the supplier here in Australia to seek rectification of the failure of the rack, and they immediately suggested it was not a design/manufacturing fault, and in no uncertain terms suggested the fault was due to my use outside of design parameters. With that said they agreed to send me replacement bolts (M6 X 16) but suggested I try fitting M6 x 20 bolts. I've since found that M6 X 20 bolts will fit, and have ordered some high-strength Titanium bolts which when supplied might reduce the risk of future failure. I'm even contemplating adding some industrial screw-clamps to the rack to increase strength: they'll look ugly but might assuage any remaining fear of future failure.

Suffice to say, my confidence in the rack's performance has been shaken, and I am unlikely to use the Top Box for any touring duties. I will probably look at adding a soft roll-bag for long-distance touring, and will restrict use of the Top Box to the daily work-commute as the lockable top box has its advantages when parked in the city, and the slimmer profile of the bike without panniers makes lane filtering much easier; especially important when dealing with Canberran/Australian drivers who seem to like to deliberately squeeze-out riders who are legally lane filtering!

Others on this forum have suggested they've had no issues operating the rack at much higher weight ratings, so my comments represent my own experience only. But worth considering depending on your intended use of the rack.
Sounds to me like what you experienced was failure of the dreaded Chinese-made bolts! Which I've had fail at quite low torque settings.

Online Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
Reply #14 on: 08 May, 2021, 08:34:08 AM
Tha' wants these rascals for strength.
https://www.westfieldfasteners.co.uk/Unbrako/Unbrako-Socket-Head-Cap-Allen-Screw-Full-Thread-M6x16-Black.html

Ti Grade 5 are ok, tad stronger than 8.8, less than 10.9. Ti grade 2 are girly.
Also: '16 Tiger 800, '95 Yamaha Serow, '58 Ariel FH.

Offline SJ

• Tiger Newbie
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050
Reply #15 on: 08 May, 2021, 11:31:09 PM
Great advice from all. Fingers crossed, some higher quality (and reliably manufactured) bolts will do the trick. With that said, out of the box the SW Motech stuff I've bought is pretty speccy kit. Next is to source a good set of auxillary driving lights, with Aussie winter nights rapidly approaching...

reconstruction