Author Topic: CV-19 - The ongoing fallout  (Read 385 times)

Offline ZuluTiger

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Topic Author
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: Suwanee
CV-19 - The ongoing fallout
on: 01 May, 2021, 04:10:03 PM
I thought I'd pass on an anecdote about how my experience has impacted life in general.
7 months ago my wife went to South Africa to sell some property. The 'solid' offer was a scam so marketing started again. A few months later she got the SA variant and came close to dying. Her variant was gastro-intestinal so survival was dependent on a drip feed and hydration. I faced her death with no way to get to her and even if that was possible, the hospital allowed no access. Thankfully she recovered fully.

After a successful sale of the property (which is handled through a national registry by the government so takes a long time, made worse by the Christmas holiday season) she planned a return to the USA. Various restrictions have been in play making this a difficult exercise. First step was a CV test. Now comes the interesting part:

Her infection was 4 months old by now. Nevertheless, the RT-PCR test was positive. This immediately excluded almost all of the European airlines who insist on a negative test. We were working with a number of people in the various embassies and it was still a brick wall. So, her planned flights were all cancelled.

There are tests for antibodies that differentiate between old and recent infections - IgM and IgG. She shows only IgG, proving the old infection. The US embassy accepts this as an exception which must be accompanied by a letter from a doctor explaining the situation and stating that no infection exists, along with all of the test results.

One must still wait 10 days after a positive test to bring this into play, which she did. Only one realistic option was available for a flight - Turkish Airlines.

Fast forward to today. With all of the paperwork in play she was vetted in Johannesburg. Disarray ensued. They had never had anyone with a positive test show up and present these documents. After calls to embassies, help from the Australians, and much heartache, she has been allowed to check in. We can only hope that her transit through Istanbul is seamless. Everyone was kind, polite and helpful, but simply inexperienced in this situation.

It is likely she will test positive for the foreseeable future, flying in the face of the comments that abound about a 90-day clearance. A little digging confirms that many folks test positive beyond 6 months. It would be good if this gem was made more widely known before anyone commences travel.

I'm posting this so that you are all aware of what might occur once travel opens up.

So, 7 months later, all being well, I hope to see my wife tomorrow evening in Atlanta. Nothing prepared me for the trauma that we have endured and of course she has had it far worse than I have.

As an aside, for the ladies on the forum: We know at least 5 women who have had a substantial bout of CV-19. Every one of them has suffered hair loss, from 30 year olds to 60 year olds. My wife is getting hers back after 4 months so don't be traumatized by this if it happens.

Get that vaccine, stay safe and believe the science.

Offline tiggersteve

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 1050,1290,now bikeless
  • City / Town: doddington cambs
Re: CV-19 - The ongoing fallout
Reply #1 on: 01 May, 2021, 04:26:35 PM
 :028:

Finally good news, I remember reading your original post about your predicament,
still a strange world we live in and I believe for a number of years going forward, think covid will come back a bit like flu and we will be queuing for a yearly covid jab as well as flu

Offline Grouchybastard

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2010 Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: Buckheaven Orygun
Reply #2 on: 01 May, 2021, 05:36:22 PM
Can't begin to comprehend being in your shoes. Congratulations on your reunion. That's going to be an emotional one! 

Online Tigermike

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2019 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Banbury
Reply #3 on: 02 May, 2021, 12:27:44 PM
Great news Zulu, hope she has a safe flight home to you today,  this covid has been an awful time for so many..
Best wishes to you both.
Yam RD125 DX, Kwak GPZ305, Honda CB400T, 1983 Kwak GT550, Suzuki GSF650 Bandit, Tiger 1050SE, 2019 Tiger Sport .... got there in the end.

Online Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
Reply #4 on: 02 May, 2021, 04:00:37 PM
Good news mucka, pressure off & relax. Loadsa loving up to do now.
Also: '16 Tiger 800, '95 Yamaha Serow, '58 Ariel FH.

Offline Yellow Dog

• Tiger Supporter
  • Supreme Tiger
  • Bike/Model: 2018 Tiger 1050 Sport
  • City / Town: Quainton
Reply #5 on: 02 May, 2021, 09:58:51 PM
So sorry  to read of this extreme trauma Z T.  Glad it finally turned the right way for you both. All the best for today and of course (once her sleeping catches up to date) some serious TLC & pampering is in order  :031:

PS Watchout for that LONG COVID effect. After 10 months my brother in law is still breathess. He can't even walk and talk at the same time.
2018 TIGER 1050 SPORT - 40,000Km with zero tyre wear & zero engine or chain wear (c8

Offline ZuluTiger

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Topic Author
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: Suwanee
Reply #6 on: 03 May, 2021, 03:54:33 AM
She's home!! 35 hours door to door and a little short of sleep but otherwise in tip-top condition! Thanks for all the good wishes chaps.

Offline Grouchybastard

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2010 Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: Buckheaven Orygun
Reply #7 on: 03 May, 2021, 04:17:14 AM
 :046: :046: :046: 

Probably be a day or two before we hear from you again.........    :007:

Offline tiggersteve

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 1050,1290,now bikeless
  • City / Town: doddington cambs
Reply #8 on: 03 May, 2021, 11:13:49 AM
  :028:

Offline turtle

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2011 Tiger 1050 SE
  • City / Town: Central IL
Reply #9 on: 03 May, 2021, 12:27:56 PM
ZT, sorry for all the troubles you have had but am very glad to see she made it home, finally.  I'm sure that was a wonderful moment!
Bill
2011 Tiger 1050 SE