Author Topic: Tiger rebuild in Indiana, USA  (Read 3629 times)

Online cconner1990

• Tiger Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike/Model: 2007 TriumphTiger 1050
  • City / Town: Indianapolis, IN
Re: Tiger rebuild in Indiana, USA
Reply #30 on: 06 May, 2021, 03:52:51 AM
 :172: Guess whoís buying new brake rotors, pads, and caliper rebuild kits for all three brakes. This guy.  Oh well, at least Iíll know the bike will stop when I need it to. Anyone have any recommendations for discs? Iím thinking EBC for the pads as Iíve always had good experience with them. I also managed to break the front master cylinder reservoir mount.  Iím not sure how, itís one bolt.

Iím not sure it shows in this photo but the rear disc was significantly cupped.

And the front pads were non existent.

Iíve done a light search through the how-tos and didnít see one so if anyone has a good walkthrough of rebuilding a caliper Iíd appreciate it.

Online Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
Reply #31 on: 06 May, 2021, 07:05:54 AM
That poor bike has had no love for years, if ever. State of rear disc says caliper is seized, be surprised if fronts aren't also. First job is removing pads & clean all crud away, then push pistons out together using spacers so they all come out equally using brake pedal/lever. Get a caliper piston tool to finish off removing them. Once all pistons are out, disconnect calipers for bench work. Examine condition of pistons & bores to check what is re-useable. Hopefully caliper bodies will be ok. Enough for now.

Good luck go with you
Also: '16 Tiger 800, '95 Yamaha Serow, '58 Ariel FH.

Online Tigermike

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2019 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Banbury
Reply #32 on: 06 May, 2021, 12:55:00 PM
i would recommend EBC discs, had to replace my rear disc last year, had small cracks coming from some of the holes but it had done about 80K miles.
EBC HH pads too give you a bit more stopping power i found IMHO.  :152:
Pauls advice is spot on, you may need new seal kits too, these ones are good they ship to the US.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/151278664454?hash=item2338e93b06:g:bm4AAOxy69JTBIPS
Yam RD125 DX, Kwak GPZ305, Honda CB400T, 1983 Kwak GT550, Suzuki GSF650 Bandit, Tiger 1050SE, 2019 Tiger Sport .... got there in the end.

Online seangee

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 16 Sport, '21 1290SAS
  • City / Town: Bracknell
Reply #33 on: 06 May, 2021, 03:49:08 PM
+1 on EBC discs. I replaced mine because they were worn and no problems whatsoever.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Offline indytiger1050

• Tiger Supporter
  • Supreme Tiger
  • Bike/Model: 79 Honda 750L
  • City / Town: Indianapolis
Reply #34 on: 07 May, 2021, 01:06:20 AM
EBC for the tiger is fine.  Remember Paulie using the new Square EBC rotors worked great. 
Support the forum.   :031:

Online cconner1990

• Tiger Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike/Model: 2007 TriumphTiger 1050
  • City / Town: Indianapolis, IN
Reply #35 on: 10 May, 2021, 03:18:15 AM
Thanks for the advice guys.  Iíve got new rear disc, pads all around and rebuild kits all around ordered. As well as fork seals and sliders. Now itís just a waiting game until things start trickling in. One thing I did want to share with you is this rats nest of an ignition switch.

Iím not sure what happened in the past to get it to this point but in this state you can turn the bottom part of the switch by hand and start the bike without the key. Iíve searched for a new one but I think Iím going to try to find used one on eBay. I know Iíll need two keys but I can live with that. I like the soft panniers better anyway.

Offline indytiger1050

• Tiger Supporter
  • Supreme Tiger
  • Bike/Model: 79 Honda 750L
  • City / Town: Indianapolis
Reply #36 on: 10 May, 2021, 08:13:33 AM
I've got heat shrink and solder.  Looks like a butcher did a number on it.  No idea why anyone would botch it that bad.
Support the forum.   :031:

Offline gosling 1

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: '08 Orange Tiger
  • City / Town: Connecticut
Reply #37 on: 10 May, 2021, 12:17:21 PM
*Originally Posted by cconner1990 [+]
Thanks for the advice guys.  Iíve got new rear disc, pads all around and rebuild kits all around ordered. As well as fork seals and sliders. Now itís just a waiting game until things start trickling in. One thing I did want to share with you is this rats nest of an ignition switch.

Iím not sure what happened in the past to get it to this point but in this state you can turn the bottom part of the switch by hand and start the bike without the key. Iíve searched for a new one but I think Iím going to try to find used one on eBay. I know Iíll need two keys but I can live with that. I like the soft panniers better anyway.

WOW! :005: That bike must have an interesting history, hopefully the rest of the wiring is unmolested. Good luck with the rebuild! :028:
Larger than life and twice as ugly!

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
  • City / Town: Back in Blighty
Reply #38 on: 10 May, 2021, 03:38:09 PM
*Originally Posted by indytiger1050 [+]
I've got heat shrink and solder.  Looks like a butcher did a number on it.  No idea why anyone would botch it that bad.
Stolen bike ?

Online tiggersteve

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 1050,1290,now bikeless
  • City / Town: doddington cambs
Reply #39 on: 10 May, 2021, 06:46:57 PM
*Originally Posted by Paullie [+]
Stolen bike ?

Yep my thoughts as well,