Author Topic: Tiger rebuild in Indiana, USA  (Read 1193 times)

Tigermike, Paul2bikes and 11 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline turtle

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2011 Tiger 1050 SE
  • City / Town: Central IL
Re: Tiger rebuild in Indiana, USA
Reply #20 on: 30 April, 2021, 08:01:15 PM
cconner, for the front wheel, I have been uneasy to use the header, but sounds like it works.  What I have done in the past is I have put the bike on the center stand and tied a ratchet strap to the front handlebars between the stays and lifted it using a rafter in my garage.  A new garage required a new solution, so I take off the top box and lay a couple bags of salt, dog food, whatever across the rear rack till the front end raises.  That has worked well too.  In both cases I reinstall the front axle and put a jack stand under it in case something crazy happens.  I don't rest the full weight of the bike back on it, but it makes me feel better :002:

The more useful part of this post for you, probably, is that I have a headlight unit in great shape.  It's the original from my bike.  I've kept it as a backup to the current unit in my bike, which is fitted with aftermarket HIDs.  I generally don't trust those to be fully reliable based on past experience, but these have proven to be so over the last 4-5 years.  Looks like you need it more than I do, so I'd be willing to part with it.  PM me if you're interested.  I'd like to help you get your bike back on the road. 
Bill
2011 Tiger 1050 SE

Offline ZuluTiger

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: Suwanee
Reply #21 on: 30 April, 2021, 10:17:28 PM
I can throw in some OEM levers (brand new condition) since I saw at least one is damaged. PM me.

Offline cconner1990

• Tiger Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike/Model: 2007 TriumphTiger 1050
  • City / Town: Indianapolis, IN
Reply #22 on: 03 May, 2021, 04:34:11 PM
Quick question for you all, is there a list of interchangeable parts between triumphs? I manage to find someone online parting out a sprint which I believe has the same engine so Iíve been buying bits and pieces off him but Iím thinking there could be a lot of crossover between new and old tigers and different triumphs using the same parts.

Iíve looked through the forum but havenít found anything. So if anyone happens to have a list or know of any interchangeable parts please link it or let me know.

Thanks, should have an update with pics ready to go tonight.

Online Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
Reply #23 on: 03 May, 2021, 05:19:01 PM
*Originally Posted by cconner1990 [+]
Quick question for you all, is there a list of interchangeable parts between triumphs? I manage to find someone online parting out a sprint which I believe has the same engine so Iíve been buying bits and pieces off him but Iím thinking there could be a lot of crossover between new and old tigers and different triumphs using the same parts.

Iíve looked through the forum but havenít found anything. So if anyone happens to have a list or know of any interchangeable parts please link it or let me know.

If you look up the parts you want on Fowlers website, it tells you which other bikes those parts are used on. Is that any help.
Also: '16 Tiger 800, '95 Yamaha Serow, '58 Ariel FH.

Offline cconner1990

• Tiger Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #24 on: 03 May, 2021, 06:02:41 PM
Thatís super helpful. Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks a bunch.

Offline cconner1990

• Tiger Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #25 on: 04 May, 2021, 03:06:19 AM
Got a few things done over the weekend, much of which I didn't take pictures of because I'm still not in the habit of working and taking photos at the same time. So here's what I do have.

When I got the bike the heated grips had these crimped connections on them, not sure if I'm going to replace the grips or not but I wasn't going to leave that wiring. So I did it right and soldered and covered with marine grade heat shrink, separately and then together. Much nicer IMO.

I also got the fuel pump out and cleaned up. The tank wasn't super rusty but it had sat nearly empty for a long time so it did have some rust I wanted out. Conveniently I managed to get a pic of the bottom of the tank instead of the upper section where the rust was.   :028:    To clean it, I just sprayed brake cleaner on the filter "sock", not sure if that's the right way or not but it's what I went with in the moment. New gasket and pump mounting ring and it hasn't leaked for the last few days it's had gas in it. The previous owner mentioned the fuel gauge wouldn't read correctly under 1/2 tank so maybe this fixed it. Is that a common issue with the tigers?

Thanks to TigerMike and his eagle (tiger?) eye for pointing out a missing bolt in an earlier pic. I managed to find someone parting out a Triumph Sprint engine and bought a random assortment of bolts from him to try and cover all my bases. Ended up finding two other missing bolts so that purchase was well worth it.

Other than that I sanded the windscreen down to fix some deeper crash damage, did the first oil change which surprised me with how clean it was.  I now I need to flush the coolant and get her fired back up.

Speaking of "her", do you all name your bikes? I think I've landed on a name for mine. Since it's a tiger I thought "Carol Baskins" was fitting plus if the bike ends up causing problems it'll be "That bitch Carol Baskins".
Last Edit: 04 May, 2021, 03:09:10 AM by cconner1990

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
  • City / Town: Back in Blighty
Reply #26 on: 04 May, 2021, 11:53:59 AM
That fuel pump thing is a known issue. I believe you're supposed to ensure that the fuel pump wires are retained in a certain way on reassembly so that they don't catch on the float, but cannot find my manual at the moment to make clearer. Sorry. Maybe someone else has the diagram?

Online Tigermike

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2019 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Banbury
Reply #27 on: 04 May, 2021, 01:12:20 PM
 Since it's a tiger I thought "Carol Baskins" was fitting plus if the bike ends up causing problems it'll be "That bitch Carol Baskins".
 :745: great name ..love it  :028:
Yam RD125 DX, Kwak GPZ305, Honda CB400T, 1983 Kwak GT550, Suzuki GSF650 Bandit, Tiger 1050SE, 2019 Tiger Sport .... got there in the end.

Offline indytiger1050

• Tiger Supporter
  • Supreme Tiger
  • Bike/Model: 79 Honda 750L
  • City / Town: Indianapolis
Reply #28 on: 04 May, 2021, 03:30:03 PM
 :152:
One step at a time Connor.
Support the forum.   :031:

Offline cconner1990

• Tiger Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #29 on: Yesterday at 08:16:35 PM
*Originally Posted by Paullie [+]
That fuel pump thing is a known issue. I believe you're supposed to ensure that the fuel pump wires are retained in a certain way on reassembly so that they don't catch on the float, but cannot find my manual at the moment to make clearer. Sorry. Maybe someone else has the diagram?

I had read something about that so I ziptied them down just in case anyway. Good to know it wasnít a waste of a zip tie.

reconstruction