Author Topic: Tiger rebuild in Indiana, USA  (Read 5447 times)

Offline indytiger1050

• Tiger Supporter
  • Supreme Tiger
  • Bike/Model: 79 Honda 750L
  • City / Town: Indianapolis
Re: Tiger rebuild in Indiana, USA
Reply #40 on: 14 May, 2021, 07:35:00 PM
Would be a little fun challenge.  Shame I'm so far away.     

Good luck.   Now bored.
Support the forum.   :031:

Offline cconner1990

• Tiger Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike/Model: 2007 TriumphTiger 1050
  • City / Town: Indianapolis, IN
Reply #41 on: 01 June, 2021, 02:49:00 AM
 :431: I know itís been a bit since an update. Work got busy then we went on vacation, the usual excuses. Now that Iím back at home Iím more amped than ever to get working on the bike.

As for the ignition wiring, I have no idea if the bike was ever stolen, nothing came up with transferring the title or insuring it. Any way to check to see if it was stolen? Can you carfax a motorcycle? Fixing the wiring will be easy enough, little solder and heat shrink. The hard part is connecting the two halves of the ignition I think. Debating super glue and electrical tape vs having a piece 3D printed for it.

In more depressing news the last part I need, the replacement for the chrome inner fork slider thatís bent is bouncing around Lithuania. I only paid $100 used vs the $400 new the local triumph dealer quoted so I wonít be super pissed if it never shows but with my luck Iíll buy a new one and theyíll both be delivered the same day.  :151: So in the mean time Iím checking local sale sites for any triumph bike that may work. Anyone know how compatible forks are between bikes?

Online Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
Reply #42 on: 01 June, 2021, 07:33:00 AM
*Originally Posted by cconner1990 [+]
In more depressing news the last part I need, the replacement for the chrome inner fork slider thatís bent is bouncing around Lithuania. I only paid $100 used vs the $400 new the local triumph dealer quoted so I wonít be super pissed if it never shows but with my luck Iíll buy a new one and theyíll both be delivered the same day.

There'll be loads in Lithuania, it's where all the stolen bikes & cars get shipped to from the UK.
Also: '16 Tiger 800, '95 Yamaha Serow, '58 Ariel FH.

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
  • City / Town: Back in Blighty
Reply #43 on: 01 June, 2021, 09:27:43 AM
*Originally Posted by Paul2bikes [+]
There'll be loads in Lithuania, it's where all the stolen bikes & cars get shipped to from the UK.
So true .... and from elsewhere in western Europe. Truly a real European business ... !   :001:  :003:   

Offline cconner1990

• Tiger Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #44 on: 01 June, 2021, 02:08:13 PM
*Originally Posted by Paul2bikes [+]

Oh damn, I did not know that. Iíll be sure not to buy any bike parts from Lithuania again.

Offline turtle

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2011 Tiger 1050 SE
  • City / Town: Central IL
Reply #45 on: 01 June, 2021, 06:25:57 PM
*Originally Posted by cconner1990 [+]

Interesting that your top triple clamp appears to be polished.  My top clamp is a duller finish like your bottom one.  I don't think that was ever done at the factory, although I could be wrong.  That would take time and effort on some PO's part who cared about your bike, but it sure seems that some of the PO's didn't  :006:.
Bill
2011 Tiger 1050 SE

Offline indytiger1050

• Tiger Supporter
  • Supreme Tiger
Reply #46 on: 03 June, 2021, 05:06:01 AM
When you mentioned. "having a piece 3D printed for it."  Having what printed?
On the wiring, yes solder and never touch electrical tape it will fail. Heat shrink is the only way to go.   

Offline cconner1990

• Tiger Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #47 on: 11 June, 2021, 03:05:27 AM
Indy, I wouldn't use electrical tape on the wiring, my dad raised me better than that. The wiring will be soldered and marine grade heat shrinked (heatshrunk?).  What I'm talking about is connecting the the two pieces of the ignition switch together. In my last pic there's the top part that's still attached to the top triple tree and the piece I'm holding in my hand. Currently I'm debating:
1) designing a housing to 3d print that would hold the parts together, 2) super glue or epoxy on the top face of the bottom piece and then electrical tape to hold it while the glue sets and provide a slight bit of water proofing. I haven't been able to find heat shrinking big enough to fit the housing, otherwise I'd use it. 3) buy an ignition switch to replace my broken one, which is turning out to be harder than expected.

Offline indytiger1050

• Tiger Supporter
  • Supreme Tiger
Reply #48 on: 11 June, 2021, 05:24:54 AM
Good man.   

Depending on the wire and what it runs to if possible I'll replace. If not then I'll splice them like they do with rope.   It's a pain, have yet to have one fail.  May have a harness laying around, I'll check.  (had two one was a donor, other my NON abs harness from the ABS upgrade)

Offline gosling 1

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: '08 Orange Tiger
  • City / Town: Connecticut
Reply #49 on: 12 June, 2021, 12:00:03 PM
*Originally Posted by turtle [+]
Interesting that your top triple clamp appears to be polished.  My top clamp is a duller finish like your bottom one.  I don't think that was ever done at the factory, although I could be wrong.  That would take time and effort on some PO's part who cared about your bike, but it sure seems that some of the PO's didn't  :006:.

Only like that on the 2007's, 2008 and up got the duller finish. The seats on the '07's had a slightly different vinyl material as well.
Larger than life and twice as ugly!