Author Topic: Tiger rebuild in Indiana, USA  (Read 5447 times)

Offline cconner1990

• Tiger Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike/Model: 2007 TriumphTiger 1050
  • City / Town: Indianapolis, IN
Tiger rebuild in Indiana, USA
on: 28 April, 2021, 12:33:23 PM
Hello everyone. Not sure what this post it suppose to be so Iím just going to wing it. I recently found a 2007 Tiger 1050 for sale and having recently parted with my SV650 I decided to go take a look at it. The bike had been crashed by the first owner, (40 mph low side), and bought as a first bike by the second owner, who admitted it was too much bike for him. So the left side plastics are scratched up, the tank has a marble sized dent in it and the bike has 67k miles on it when I bought it.

It had obviously been sitting for a long time and well used before that as the thing was filthy. So I talked him down to what I thought was reasonable, if I had known how small the aftermarket was and how difficult it was to find parts for this bike I would have either talked him down more or walked away.  :430:

Anyway, I figured Iíd start this for three reasons:
1) to keep track of the rebuild process so I can look back at it when Iím out enjoying the bike.
2) so I can direct potential buyers to if I decide to sell it after the rebuild.
3) and most importantly, to harass the f**k out of you fine people. Seriously I have found zero information online about how to work on the bike. Coming from an sv650 which has a huge fan base and aftermarket support this is like trying to find something thatís really hard to find. I donít know, haystacks come to mind.

Anyway, hopefully this goes better than planned and I keep this ďblogĒ going. Looking forward to meeting you all.

P.s. regrettably I had started pulling parts and cleaning the bike up before I found this forum. Iíll try to include pictures going forward. Suffice to say when I pulled the front sprocket cover it was packed FULL, with dirt, grease, and almost a clay like material that was either clay or grease soaked dirt. I want to clarify, this isnít an exaggeration, I had to beat the cover off with a mallet and when it did come off I had to go excavating to even find the chain and sprocket. Think Iím going to order a parts washer today.

Offline varnerju

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2008 1050 ABS
  • City / Town: Holland, MI
Re: Tiger rebuild in Indiana, USA
Reply #1 on: 28 April, 2021, 01:03:50 PM
 :405:

There are some good resources in the Indianapolis area, and a wealth of knowledge on this forum. But yeah, quite a different ecosystem than the SV.

Hope your rebuild goes well, and we will soon be hearing ride reports, complete with photos of course.
Cheers! :031:

Online Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
Reply #2 on: 28 April, 2021, 02:36:23 PM
Ayup mucka  :401: tut forum  :031:

Sounds like you found a rather neglected example. That sprocket cover needs coming off for the cleaning every few K miles. I should imagine the chain kit to be in a sorry state running in crud.

Good luck with the rebuild & shout up if we can be any help, we'll try. There is a fair bit of knowledge on this forum & very helpful people. Just give as much info' as you have on the bike when asking.
Also: '16 Tiger 800, '95 Yamaha Serow, '58 Ariel FH.

Offline tiggersteve

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 1050,1290,now bikeless
  • City / Town: doddington cambs
Reply #3 on: 28 April, 2021, 04:26:54 PM
 :401:

Plenty of knowledge on here and perhaps more importantly a lot of members on your side of the pond,

pics often speak louder than words

:031:

Online Tigermike

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2019 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Banbury
Reply #4 on: 28 April, 2021, 07:14:59 PM
 :401:
As others have said loads of great knowledge on here, probably need new chain and sprockets from your description of the cover which are readily available.
What colour is the  bike, someone may have a set of plastics, they come up now and again in the For sale section.
Post some pics of the condition and tell us a bit more about it.
 :031:
Yam RD125 DX, Kwak GPZ305, Honda CB400T, 1983 Kwak GT550, Suzuki GSF650 Bandit, Tiger 1050SE, 2019 Tiger Sport .... got there in the end.

Offline turtle

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2011 Tiger 1050 SE
  • City / Town: Central IL
Reply #5 on: 28 April, 2021, 09:14:09 PM
 :401: from central IL, your neighbor to the west. I'm an average mechanic at best but have managed to maintain my Tiger with no local dealer support. I do order some parts from a dealer that I have visited.  The aftermarket is indeed limited, but I have been able to get what I needed for my Tiger to make it suitable for my type of riding (Madstad screen, enhanced lighting, Pazzo levers, crash bungs, fender extender, etc.).

I will say this too.  IMO, it will be worth the effort to get the bike dialed in.  It's been the best bike I've owned.  Plenty of character, excellent performance for what I like to do.  It is a unicorn, but people seem to love it.  Far more people ask about my Triumph than any other bike I have owned, and that is kind of fun too.

I've done a fair about of work on my Tiger, will try to help as I can.  There's a ton of great information on this forum.  So let us know what you're up against, and ask away!
Last Edit: 28 April, 2021, 09:17:19 PM by turtle
Bill
2011 Tiger 1050 SE

Offline cconner1990

• Tiger Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike/Model: 2007 TriumphTiger 1050
  • City / Town: Indianapolis, IN
Reply #6 on: 29 April, 2021, 04:02:24 AM
Thank you everyone for the warm welcome. I have so many questions to ask but I'm still sifting through this site so I'll hold off for now.  Instead how about some more information on the bike? These first pictures are from the original listing.

I think I mentioned it in my first post but the first owner rode the sh#t out of the bike (65K miles) before lowsiding and selling it. From what I've pieced together the 1st owner took very good care of it but rarely washed it, while the 2nd owner rarely rode it and also never washed it.

Here's where I am with the bike today. I tend to be an all or nothing type personality so after I started taking parts off I found it hard to stop.  The bike has also received it's first bath, maybe ever. I wish I had more before pics but I'll try to be more diligent about documentation going forward. Also please forgive the feet, I spent the first 29 years of my life in Kentucky and it shows in many ways.

The current plans are to fill in the damage to the plastics and paint or vinyl wrapping over the winter. I made the mistake of assuming the clear lens on the headlight was two pieces, a left and a right. So since my headlight had damage on the left side I bought a headlight with damage on the right side, I'm going to attempt to cut the lenses down the middle and seal them up. It'll be ugly but if it works it'll be covered by the fairing. The only mechanical issue I've encountered so far is the forks need to be rebuilt and the left one is bent. I have ordered a replacement inner tube, hopefully that'll be enough.

As a parting gift here's a pic of my other bike.

Last Edit: 29 April, 2021, 04:07:07 AM by cconner1990

Offline indytiger1050

• Tiger Supporter
  • Supreme Tiger
  • Bike/Model: 79 Honda 750L
  • City / Town: Indianapolis
Reply #7 on: 29 April, 2021, 05:24:38 AM
 :405:

Since I must have missed your HELLO message. 

I've done a mod or 5, know the bike pretty well.  Have a lift you can use, I'm on the west side a little past Speedway.

Support the forum.   :031:

Online Timbox

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Helga
  • City / Town: Newport
Reply #8 on: 29 April, 2021, 06:25:26 AM
Welcome, Id ditch the off road tyres, maybe had something to do with the lowside
Ex Sport owner now on KTM 1290 SAS

Offline mustangpilot

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2020 Tiger Sport
Reply #9 on: 29 April, 2021, 09:53:35 AM
*Originally Posted by Timbox [+]
Welcome, Id ditch the off road tyres, maybe had something to do with the lowside
:0461:
Triumph centerstand/engine guards/heated grips, GIVI PLR6404 side rack/DLM36 panniers, SR6404 top rack with M9B plate, WL901/DLM30/V47N/TRK52B topcases, ST603/602 tanklock tankbags, EVOTECH radiator&oilcooler guards, Pyramid ExtendaFenda/hugger extension, Puig touring Screen & spoiler, Zumo 396 with Zumolock holder on RAM mount, Osco chainoiler, SWMotech sidestand extension, CNC shorty clutch/ brake levers, SCPROJECT SC1-R can, Micks 25mm lowering plates, KOSO Mini3 volt/temp/time & LED blinkers

reconstruction