Author Topic: Tiger Sport 1050 2016 - retrofit Triumph alarm system  (Read 418 times)

Offline andyh1108

• Tiger Newbie
  • Topic Author
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: York
Hi all

Looking for some guidance, maybe even a photo or two! Looking to retrofit the official alarm, I am guessing mine has the blanking plug right now.

Can someone tell me where the wiring plug is located and where the new alarm should be fitted ..... I thought it was under the seat but there does not look like there is any room there, hence a photo would be magic.

Also, will it just be plug n play or will programming be needed, I have TigerTool, will that do any necessary programming

Many thanks

Andy

Offline Timbox

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Helga
  • City / Town: Newport
Re: Tiger Sport 1050 2016 - retrofit Triumph alarm system
Reply #1 on: 19 April, 2021, 07:47:55 PM
*Originally Posted by andyh1108 [+]
Hi all

Looking for some guidance, maybe even a photo or two! Looking to retrofit the official alarm, I am guessing mine has the blanking plug right now.

Can someone tell me where the wiring plug is located and where the new alarm should be fitted ..... I thought it was under the seat but there does not look like there is any room there, hence a photo would be magic.

Also, will it just be plug n play or will programming be needed, I have TigerTool, will that do any necessary programming

Many thanks

Andy

All I know is it fits up under the Mudguard ( The mudguard drops and there is a space for it in there). Oh and yes its a plain black plug with a bypass plug fitted to it which you just take out and plug the alarm in, It comes with a reed switch for the seat anti -tamper, dont think Dealer involvement is required
Last Edit: 19 April, 2021, 07:54:13 PM by Timbox
Ex Sport owner now on KTM 1290 SAS

Offline Puccio

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport 2016
  • City / Town: Cingoli
Reply #2 on: 19 April, 2021, 07:48:34 PM
Hi Andy,

you can download the installation guide from this website:

www.triumph-instructions.com

Offline Timbox

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
Reply #3 on: 19 April, 2021, 07:55:38 PM
*Originally Posted by Puccio [+]
Hi Andy,

you can download the installation guide from this website:

www.triumph-instructions.com

Well done Puccio forgot about that Yes you can and its part no is A9808118

Offline andyh1108

• Tiger Newbie
  • Topic Author
Reply #4 on: 19 April, 2021, 08:25:31 PM
Cheers guys, great source of information that site ..... bookmarked!

I assume the horror stories I have heard about these alarms comes from poor installation and not from a sub-standard system?

If the latter, would an after market system work better?

Thanks again for the help

Andy

Offline Sidewinder

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2007 Tiger 1050 Yellow
  • City / Town: Sheffield
Reply #5 on: 19 April, 2021, 10:01:38 PM
The only time an alarm is useful is when you are within earshot of it and can react to it, otherwise it's completely useless.

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
  • City / Town: Back in Blighty
Reply #6 on: 19 April, 2021, 10:33:41 PM
The standard Triumph alarm fits differently into the Tiger Sport compared to the T1050. I've had both, the T1050 it's fairly straightforward - slung under a purpose-built bracket under the seat (all in the Triumph kit). A lot more difficult in the Sport - it fits into the tail nacelle - and getting to it involves a fairly complicated strip-down of the tail end. It's the same blanking plug in both cases.

I've had more problems with the Sport - in that it seems to drain the battery after a few days - so a trickle-charger is essential to keep the battery up (though that may be because I'm using the bike less often at the mo). As far as I can tell it's the same alarm, although the box and the bracket look slightly different.

I think you could probably fit either, and just pack it with some rubber anti-vibration tape. In theory the vibration sensor is important if you want to set it to 'live' including vibrations nearby. But that causes so many other issues that I seldom bothered with it. Just don't programme it to auto set to live - or it can be quite entertaining on a ferry or train if you forget.

ps. It is plug and play, just follow the instructions in the manual, which is fairly clear.
Last Edit: 19 April, 2021, 10:35:22 PM by Paullie

Offline andyh1108

• Tiger Newbie
  • Topic Author
Reply #7 on: 20 April, 2021, 05:50:53 AM
Thanks again for the feedback, time to buy the alarm me thinks. Agree, alarm is only a deterrent, if they want your bike they are going to get it.

Andy

Offline Timbox

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
Reply #8 on: 20 April, 2021, 08:44:05 AM
*Originally Posted by andyh1108 [+]
Thanks again for the feedback, time to buy the alarm me thinks. Agree, alarm is only a deterrent, if they want your bike they are going to get it.

Andy

Each to there own but my experience with Triumph Alarms is that the only person they stopped riding them away was me.

reconstruction